Finger on the RIM?

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby Grimm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:25 pm

30 footers are easier than 33 footers. I've learned this.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

What does yetti do?
Nohr

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 pm

i've never asked him, but it looks like he almost power grips his putter.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby treeMD » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 pm

He doesn't put his finger on the rim, I'm 99.9999 percent certain of that. Look at videos of top pros putting, id bet almost none of them have their finger on the rim. But hey, what do they know
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 am

I know that Feldberg has stated that the bead of the putter sits right on/in the last notch of the index finger. So the last segment of his index finger curls slightly under the rim. I think Nikko holds a putter like this too.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 am

I was told very early that finger on the rim is a bad habit. I believe the guy that told me won the Memorial in Pro Masters last year. I took the advice. You'll never be able to throw putters off the tee with your finger on the rim. Not that you would, but developing the habit of putting with your finger on the rim makes it harder to learn to grip a putter when you are wanting to start using it for tee and up shots, which is a critical part of every top pro's game.
GDL17921

Postby Detra319 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:46 am

GDL17921 wrote:I was told very early that finger on the rim is a bad habit. I believe the guy that told me won the Memorial in Pro Masters last year. I took the advice. You'll never be able to throw putters off the tee with your finger on the rim. Not that you would, but developing the habit of putting with your finger on the rim makes it harder to learn to grip a putter when you are wanting to start using it for tee and up shots, which is a critical part of every top pro's game.

I putt with my finger on the rim, and have since I started playing. I have tried several times to switch, sometimes going months at a time using different techniques. In the end I always come back to putting my finger on the rim.

And as for not being able to throw a putter off the tee with a finger on the rim, you're crazy. I have done that for a long time and enjoyed quite a bit of success with it. I use the finger on the rim on drivers also when I need to maintain slower speed hyzers. Dunno, but I guess in your words Jay...I call. :P

And btw...you can talk shit about my rating, or what other top pros have told you or whatever. But we all know there are 10,000 different putting techniques out there and no one has ever really "proven" there is a best way. People spend literally billions on studying ball golf swings, and even they don't know what is "the" way to swing a golf club.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Potter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:47 am

I think in the end it is all about doing whatever feels comfortable for you. I am not doubting that you can be a great putter with your finger not on the rim. It just works for me. However I feel like I am damn good @ throwing putters in any situation, including off the tee and I have my finger on the rim.
"I hyzerflip drones, biatch" ~Grimm
Potter

Postby irban » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:20 am

Potter wrote:I think in the end it is all about doing whatever feels comfortable for you.

I agree with this. I just can't see what advantage there is to the finger out there. It wouldn't seem to give any support or be of much use for power. Maybe it is better geometry for your hand or something, or easier release?
Regarding being a good putter, I think most any style can become effective with practice. The hard part is determining what is truly best for you, versus what you are used to that might be holding you back. I'm thinking finger on the rim would be the latter for most people, but may not be in your case.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 am

Detra319 wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:I was told very early that finger on the rim is a bad habit. I believe the guy that told me won the Memorial in Pro Masters last year. I took the advice. You'll never be able to throw putters off the tee with your finger on the rim. Not that you would, but developing the habit of putting with your finger on the rim makes it harder to learn to grip a putter when you are wanting to start using it for tee and up shots, which is a critical part of every top pro's game.

I putt with my finger on the rim, and have since I started playing. I have tried several times to switch, sometimes going months at a time using different techniques. In the end I always come back to putting my finger on the rim.

And as for not being able to throw a putter off the tee with a finger on the rim, you're crazy. I have done that for a long time and enjoyed quite a bit of success with it. I use the finger on the rim on drivers also when I need to maintain slower speed hyzers. Dunno, but I guess in your words Jay...I call. :P

And btw...you can talk shit about my rating, or what other top pros have told you or whatever. But we all know there are 10,000 different putting techniques out there and no one has ever really "proven" there is a best way. People spend literally billions on studying ball golf swings, and even they don't know what is "the" way to swing a golf club.

Calm down dude, I'm not going to slam you or anybody on their technique making references to their rating or whatev. I'm just sharing my experience. Take it for what it's worth. I will say however, that I'm glad I was able to ruffle your feathers. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:33 am

irban wrote:
Potter wrote:I think in the end it is all about doing whatever feels comfortable for you.

The hard part is determining what is truly best for you, versus what you are used to that might be holding you back.

this
GDL17921

Postby blkwizardsonny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 pm

i think all fingers on rim are best sssss
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Grimm » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:i think all fingers on rim are best sssss

Turbo puts are dumb.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby The Donator » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:14 pm

I cant think of a single top pro off the top of my head that putts with their finger on the rim.

One of the first things I ever learned what I started playing, by the top players in Iowa at the time, was to NEVER, ever, put your finger on the rim when putting.

I putted with my finger on the rim the last 2 years and they were by far the worst putting years/rounds I have ever had in my life.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby tufluk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:27 pm

Grimm wrote:
blkwizardsonny wrote:i think all fingers on rim are best sssss

Turbo puts are dumb.

Unless you're behind a big bush, like #16 @ Prospect. :roll:

(Throwing my upshot behind the bush. That's dumb.)
tufluk

PreviousNext

Return to Putting Technique