Finger on the RIM?

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Finger on the RIM?

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

I am in the slow process of trying to redo my putting style. For a long long time I have been holding my putters with my index finger on the rim. I would like to know some disadvantages of the finger on the rim.
Nohr

Postby Potter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Keep it on the rim. Putting is your best weapon man, why change it? Seriously though, the finger on the rim helps guide the disc I would leave it there
"I hyzerflip drones, biatch" ~Grimm
Potter

Postby Nohr » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

I watched a Cam Todd putting video and he specifically called out don't put your finger on the rim.

I told MDR I threw my mids that way and he instantly told me to stop doing it that way. Sometimes the disc comes out of my hand all goofy and I think the finger on the rim is the cause.

I made the switch on my mids and it has really helped in rain situations.

Is your finger on the rim potter?
Nohr

Postby SARG27044 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Agreed. Ive always used my finger on the rim for putting. Used to have it there for every shot when I first started. No wonder I couldnt throw anything but 100ft straight up in the air hyzers :lol:
SARG27044

Postby Potter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes I do Nohr. Only for putting. It gives you more accuracy and control.
Potter

Postby irban » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:55 pm

Potter wrote:Yes I do Nohr. Only for putting. It gives you more accuracy and control.

That might be in your head. I keep everything underneath, index finger pinching the rim against my thumb, same as upshot and drive grip. The only thing I change for putting is I slightly fan out the other three fingers on the putt, versus pinching against the rim. I just can't get used to using the full pinch for all shots as some have advocated.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby blkwizardsonny » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:45 pm

finger on rim barely and on bottom pinky off but i cant putt well
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Potter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:52 pm

irban wrote:
Potter wrote:Yes I do Nohr. Only for putting. It gives you more accuracy and control.

That might be in your head. I keep everything underneath, index finger pinching the rim against my thumb, same as upshot and drive grip. The only thing I change for putting is I slightly fan out the other three fingers on the putt, versus pinching against the rim. I just can't get used to using the full pinch for all shots as some have advocated.

I know for putting it's whatever feels comfortable to each person, so everyone's style is different. There isn't necessarily a wrong or right grip. However, you can't tell me that having your finger on the rim doesn't improve accuracy and control. I do this for putting and upshots.
Potter

Postby Potter » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:but i cant putt well

I call
Potter

Postby really » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

FINGER ON THE RIM IS THE WAY TO GO
DGA
really

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Potter wrote:However, you can't tell me that having your finger on the rim doesn't improve accuracy and control....

yes I can
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby irban » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:17 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
Potter wrote:However, you can't tell me that having your finger on the rim doesn't improve accuracy and control....

yes I can
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Schirm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 pm

I went from 'finger on the rim' to resting the first notch of my index finger under and on the bead of my challengers. I've been doing this for about a year now and have improved my distance and accuracy on throws with my putter.

I also feel that, when putting, I get a better feel and more consistent release with this grip.

I find that this grip is not very comfortable with non-beaded discs, such as my buzzz.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Pig, Buzzz, Cobra, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby .synergy- » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 pm

I use to putt with my finger on the rim when I first started. Then Freburg suggested I try putting my index finger under the rim. It was unconfortable at first but ever since then my putting as come along way. I feel I get more control and power this way. Just my input from when I switched over.
.synergy-

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I find the only thing the chicks dig more than big arms is a finger on the rim.

Somebody had to say it.
Cydisc

Next

Return to Putting Technique