Putting Practice

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby irban » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Plus, I can feel my putting skills improving as I read.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Re: Horse

Postby tufluk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:14 pm

D31756F wrote:
irban wrote:
Trammel wrote::D Not tryin to piss anyone off or nothin but "Horse" is the actually one -on-one game for Basketball , Bogey fit's and work's the same for Disc Golf. :D (still played in the same manner as Horse tho)

You probably make everyone call it discgolf instead of frisbee golf too.

Actually you can chalk that one up to Wham-O. It is a registered trademark, hence the true name IS disc golf. If you want to call it frisbee golf that is all good as long as you use frisbees when you play and not discs.

If one is going to become proficient at any craft, they should know (and use) the correct terminology. I hunt. I would no more call a deer's antlers horns than I would call an antelope's (really a goat) horns antlers. I shoot. I dont call a gun's magazine a clip. I don't say bullet when I mean cartridge. I do woodworking. I wouldn't refer to a measurement of 1 5/16" as "an inch and five of those little marks". That's sloppy.
Disc golf is a discipline, and like any other, has it's own vocabulary. If I hear "frolf" or "frisbee golf", I think "chucker" or "dog walker". Or "lazy".
And last of all, as a blogger, I try (and sometimes fail) to use proper spelling and grammer. I believe I owe that to the few who read my drivel.

And yes, that makes me anal retentive. :roll:
tufluk

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 pm

wooooooooooooooooooooooh woooooooooooooooooh :D :D
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby irban » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 pm

When I hear someone say frisbee golf, I usually assume they've been playing since the 80s or even 70s(and likely started out throwing a lid.) When I hear someone say frolf, I usually think they played about 4 rounds with a 9 some in college (one of whom was a girl in a bikini top.) Disc golf seems to be used by anyone who has played at nearly any time, used exclusively by newer players, and interchangeably with frisbee golf by older players. Once the 100,000 or so players from the 80s die off, frisbee golf as a term will likely die with them.

When I hear anyone arguing that we need to cleanse the term "frisbee golf" from our lexicon, for the "good of the sport", I think they have too high an opinion of themselves and need to get a hobby like woodworking or hunting. Leave the free spirit of frisbee golf to those who appreciate it.
:P
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby tufluk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:54 am

irban wrote:When I hear someone say frisbee golf, I usually assume they've been playing since the 80s or even 70s(and likely started out throwing a lid.) When I hear someone say frolf, I usually think they played about 4 rounds with a 9 some in college (one of whom was a girl in a bikini top.) Disc golf seems to be used by anyone who has played at nearly any time, used exclusively by newer players, and interchangeably with frisbee golf by older players. Once the 100,000 or so players from the 80s die off, frisbee golf as a term will likely die with them.

When I hear anyone arguing that we need to cleanse the term "frisbee golf" from our lexicon, for the "good of the sport", I think they have too high an opinion of themselves and need to get a hobby like woodworking or hunting. Leave the free spirit of frisbee golf to those who appreciate it.
:P

My experience is different. When I talk to non-players, and say "disc-golf", they often say "what's that"? Then I'll say, "Frisbee golf". Seems most have at least heard it called that. I probably was the same.
Then my anal retentive nature kicked in. I started saying stupid stuff like "hyser route", "marker" and the always popular "flippy". Oh, and "disc golf"
"The free spirit of Frisbee golf"???? Look at the rule book. Rule #803.09 states "See section 803.03 F" and if not applicable " the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B". It has a spirit for sure. Free isn't it.
I could find the word "Frisbee" on the PDGA website in the "History" section. Jim Palmeri, #23 mentions "Tin lid golf" and "Sky golf". Goldy Norton's Official Frisbee Handbook
tufluk

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 am

blkwizardsonny wrote:wooooooooooooooooooooooh woooooooooooooooooh :D :D

nice Rick Flair reference :lol:
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 am

tufluk wrote:As an aside, Did the "girl in a bikini top" have a bottom? Or not?

oh yeah, some of them are real nice bottoms....we even have pictures
GDL17921

Postby irban » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 am

Good thing there aren't any officially sanctioned hand tool competitions or I'd have to say locking pliers instead of vice grips and reciprocating saw instead of sawzall. So there is still a bit of freedom left in the world.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby tufluk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:14 pm

irban wrote:Good thing there aren't any officially sanctioned hand tool competitions or I'd have to say locking pliers instead of vice grips and reciprocating saw instead of sawzall. So there is still a bit of freedom left in the world.

You mean like when my uncle says, "bring me the Skil saw" and I reply, "I can't, but I will bring the Makita brand circular saw". :?:

I Googled "hand tool competition" and "power tool competition". There are in fact hand tool competitions. This one's in Iowa. I think the rule-maker used to work for the PDGA.

Hand Tools Fest '09 - Thinnest Plane Shaving Competition Rules

In response to queries regarding the rules for the competition being held this Saturday during the Ottawa Woodworkers Association Hand Tools Fest '09 event, the following is provided:

• Handplanes to be provided by Contestants

• Judge will smooth each piece of wood with a #8 prior to each Contestant’s attempt

• Each Contestant will chose from one of two pieces of wood provided by the Judge:
• Hard Maple
•Basswood

• Each Contestant has 2 minutes to create and submit their “best” full length, full width shaving

• Only one shaving per Contestant will be judged

• Judge will measure average of thickness, taken in 3 random locations, with a 1” micrometer

• Judge’s decisions are final

For more info on this full-day event being held in the Ottawa area, go to:
http://ottawawoodworking.ca/htf2009

R. Marty Schlosser
Chairperson, Hand Tools Fest '09
Ottawa Woodworkers Association
Ph 613-595-0917

My personal favorite. Power tool drag racing. Must wear women's clothing to enter.
2011 Agricultural Technology Contest University of Wisconsin - River Falls
Page 1 of 2 http://www.uwrf.edu/AGED/AgriculturalTe ... ontest.cfm
Please contact Joe Nelson (
Powertool Drag Race
joseph.nelson@uwrf.edu) with any questions.
Students are encouraged to participate in an exhibition class using previous year vehicles to obtain experience.
This year, all vehicles must be powered by a 120-volt Angle Grinder for the official competition.
The purpose of the Power Tool Drag Racing competition is: Student Competitors will design and build a vehicle powered by a handheld power tool to run down a track in the shortest time. The vehicle is powered by a power tool connected to the drive train by a transmission. The vehicle may be constructed with any material, but must fit within the vehicle specifications listed. Power tools must have the trigger locked in to place. A switch operated by the student competitor will start the tool remotely. The vehicle will be stopped by 18 inches of couch cushion foam at the end of the track. It is up to the competitors to build a vehicle that will not be harmed by our foam cushioning system.
The track is set up like an NHRA drag strip with the finish line being 24' from the start line. The track surface is painted OSB plywood. This competition is a timed event. The start of the race is based on a drag strip light system (three amber, one green, and fault lights). The vehicle will be powered up upon the pushing of a start button, and in the event of a false start a time delayed start will be imposed (0.5 seconds penalty) adding to the overall run time. The finish line will use a laser beam installed at a height of 4" which needs to be broken by the front most part of the vehicle. Once the vehicle crosses the finish line the time will be stopped and the vehicle will be de-powered. The times will be displayed to the nearest one-hundredth of a second. Three times will be recorded and the best of the three times will be used to determine a winner. All three runs must be completed during the allotted time for the competition. Only hand tools and/or 120 volt/battery power tools can be used for repairs (Please: no welders or grinders. Light repairs only). Participants MUST be present to run their own vehicles.
• Power tool Selection
Vehicle Specifications
o One 120 V Angle Grinder
o The power tool electrical system must remain unaltered and casing remain intact (i.e. No removal of motor from casing). (Only Angle Grinders will be allowed in the competition. Other tools may participate in the exhibition class.)
o Power tool must be grounded or double insulated
• Vehicle Restrictions
o Drive wheels must be 6-8" new non-pneumatic, lawnmower wheels.
2011 Agricultural Technology Contest University of Wisconsin - River Falls
Page 2 of 2 http://www.uwrf.edu/AGED/AgriculturalTe ... ontest.cfm
o Limit of 4 drive wheels.
o The wheels must be unaltered with the exception of mounting to a drive train or an axle (i.e. welding, keying to the axle)
o The drive train cannot be a direct drive and must use some form of transmission to transmit power from the tool to the drive wheels (i.e. No direct attachment of wheel to the drive shaft of the respective power tool).
o Must fit in a 24" long x 16" wide x 24" high box including the cord that is attached to the power tool.
o 35 lbs max weight
o Frame of the vehicle may be made out of any material
• Track Specifications
o Track is 22.5 inches wide by 24 ft long.
o Tracks sides and center divider are 8 inches high.
Safety The event coordinators reserve the right to prevent any vehicle from participating due to safety issues. Safety issues that will be addressed are potential electrical hazards or severe lack of structural integrity. Power Tools must not trip a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). The event coordinators are not responsible for any damage that may occur to the vehicles or for potential injuries to the participants. Safety glasses must be worn at all times by competitors. A-B-C fire extinguisher will be on site (supplied by UWRF).
Prizes
• Three prizes will be awarded. First place, second place, and the most creative design will receive a prize. All categories are judged based on the judges’ discretion.
• In the event of a tie the following procedure will be used:
o Second fastest time of each competitor will be used.
o Third fastest time of each competitor will be used.
o If a tie is still occurring at this point a coin toss will be used to determine the winner.
• Most creative car from the drive train standpoint will win a trophy.
Basis for Creativity is as follows: Complexity of transmission design Estimated cost to build (no price lists needed) Overall appearance
tufluk

Postby irban » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm

tufluk wrote:You mean like when my uncle says, "bring me the Skil saw" and I reply, "I can't, but I will bring the Makita brand circular saw". :?:

After which your uncle boots your smart ass with the Red Wing steel toe? :P
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Discgo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:47 pm

irban wrote:
tufluk wrote:You mean like when my uncle says, "bring me the Skil saw" and I reply, "I can't, but I will bring the Makita brand circular saw". :?:

and the disc flys out of your hand to land in the basket. Thus demonstrating how to make the standard kick putt.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby tufluk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:24 pm

irban wrote:

More than once. I believe he said something about a DUMB ass. :shock:
tufluk

Postby crazykrug » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 pm

GDL17921 wrote:
blkwizardsonny wrote:wooooooooooooooooooooooh woooooooooooooooooh :D :D

nice Rick Flair reference :lol:

gotta love the Nature Boy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of 2010, 2012, 2013 Bushwhacker State Champions
crazykrug

Postby tufluk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 am

To be "The Man", you've got to beat "The Man"!
tufluk

Postby medicinal funk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 am

*does stylin' and profilin' strut while walking to basket to retrieve made putt*
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

PreviousNext

Return to Putting Technique