2012 Smoking Policy

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Sniper26 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm

So I can still spit chew all over a tee pad at worlds if I want, but god forbid someone would be down wind of me smoking a cig. I am a ex-smoker/current chewer and find this funny as hell. You can spit wherever you want (which I try to be very respectful of) but you had better not think of polluting 1 of my thousands of breaths I take today. I love the fact that DG is trying to get more mainstream but pissing off a major demographic of your paying membership is not the way to go at it.
Sniper26

Postby Cydisc » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Sniper26 wrote:So I can still spit chew all over a tee pad at worlds

That might fall under the "courtesy" rule.
Cydisc

Postby Carter45145 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 am

Sniper26 wrote:So I can still spit chew all over a tee pad at worlds if I want, but god forbid someone would be down wind of me smoking a cig.

I believe they banned chew and e-cigarettes also.
Can't criticize our smile...
Carter45145

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:23 am

The Donator wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:
blkwizardsonny wrote:
medicinal funk wrote:
johnemus wrote:My opinion is different than most of yours. I actually like the rule. Now let me preface this by saying, I don't mind playing with smokers or anything like that.

However, IF disc golf is trying to become a larger, much more popular sport, than its got to appear to be more professional to outsiders. You don't see pro golfers smoking/drinking during tournaments or other professional athletes doing this while they are competing. The better disc golf can look in the public eye, the better the likelihood of it growing, which is what I hope to see it do. Just my opinion

guys smoke during PGA events too, you just don't see it on television
john daly smokes on tv b 4

I'm pretty sure they get fined for it too

They do.
Yep, but only if they caught on camera. Which is why most of em chain smoke between holes. They also drink, and a few have admitted to "partaking" in porta potties whenever they get the chance.
SARG27044

Postby The Donator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 am

SARG27044 wrote:They also drink, and a few have admitted to "partaking" in porta potties whenever they get the chance.

Yep, that reminds me...last year at the Principal Charity Classic, I saw a player get ragepissed after three putting a hole, storm off and drive his cart up to the nearest portopotty and have a little safety meeting before teeing off on the next hole. Could smell it from a hundred feet away and they guy was all smiles the rest of the round.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:56 am

IMO, the pdga has no right or authority to enforce this rule. They are about as capable of doing this, as the NCAA giving out a subpeona to Can Newton. They dont do anything for our local tournies. And barely have a hand in Majors as it is.
SARG27044

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 am

Sniper26 wrote:So I can still spit chew all over a tee pad

Don't do it around Calring. He gets upset.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Clue » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:19 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:I'm pretty sure they get fined for it too

Actually, the PGA is just now addressing this issue very similarly to the PDGA. There's been a lot of talk about the *other* smoking, especially on the Nationwide Tour.

To me it boils down to this, perception is reality. You guys did see they want to have designated smoking areas that are simply out of view to the public? It just looks bad. Do you guys remember Angel Cabrera just blowing up heaters on the back nine of the US Open? He was literally knocking down a cigarette with every breath! I thought it was funny, but it did look horrible to see on TV.
Clue

Postby The Donator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:23 pm

Clue wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:I'm pretty sure they get fined for it too

Actually, the PGA is just now addressing this issue very similarly to the PDGA. There's been a lot of talk about the *other* smoking, especially on the Nationwide Tour.

To me it boils down to this, perception is reality. You guys did see they want to have designated smoking areas that are simply out of view to the public? It just looks bad. Do you guys remember Angel Cabrera just blowing up heaters on the back nine of the US Open? He was literally knocking down a cigarette with every breath! I thought it was funny, but it did look horrible to see on TV.

You talking about a few years ago? I remember that. Dude was on a straight nicotine buzz for about an hour. Nantz was just disgusted with it.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Like any PDGA rule, it will be ignored.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby CalebP » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:37 am

FYI I personally dont mind someone smoking. Smoked for 4 years.

Considering disc is a sport that is very self organized and self reliant... I dont think they should have even attempted to make this rule. They could of easily just said "HEY, were trying to drop the smoky/drinky mcghee stereotype that disc golfers have so dont smoke on camera.".

However also banning dip and e cigs? Thats just arrogant and stupid. I switched to both from smoking, and theyre both alot steathier than smoking cigs.

Although if your not smart to get your fix off camera then ... Hey they didnt ban snus! yay!
CalebP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Ask the State Coordinator