2012 Smoking Policy

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

2012 Smoking Policy

Postby johnemus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 am

Didn't see it anywhere else on the board... Just wondering what the consensus is on here about the policy and what the opinion is if it gets extended to all sanctioned events (like alcohol)?
johnemus

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:58 am

If it goes to all events, you will see more and more unsanctioned ones on the schedule. As well as a decrease in membership renewals. Some of those will just be trying to prove a point, others cant go that long without a smoke in a competitive atmosphere. Some will like it, but even some non smokers will disagree with it. I know I wont be playing any Major events...
SARG27044

Postby Discgo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:01 pm

I would be fine with it. I would like to see a no smoking around the tee/group rule. For some reason I kept getting stuck downwind from smokers all weekend. It normally doesn't bug me but it really bothered me this weekend for some reason. I used to smoke and understand how hard the addiction is to break. Luckily I kicked it before I found disc golf as it would be harder to quit if it was tied into my game.

Would people honor the rule if it was put into place for all tournaments?
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby 10up » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:20 pm

As a recently reformed smoker of 15 years, keep your policies off my body!

Honestly, playing disc is the only place I still have a cigarette now and again. Fuckers...
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:41 pm

We've already been exposed to this rule in our public parks. Pickard to name one is non smoking. We've seen how well that holds up.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Buzzznation wrote:We've already been exposed to this rule in our public parks. Pickard to name one is non smoking. We've seen how well that holds up.
Its a little different. Pickard is School property, all schools in Iowa have smoke free grounds.
SARG27044

Postby tufluk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm a non-smoker and have never been bothered by a smoker on my card. The rule is just ignorant. I think the PDGA rules commitee has non-smokers on the board trying to gain a competative edge by having their opponents jonesing during the round.
tufluk

Postby Dale Jordal » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 pm

First off I am a non-smoker, but it seems to me if other people in the park can smoke (non-disc golfers) why would a lower AHJ over ride the laws of the folks who own the land :roll: to just keep a handful of golfers from not smoking .

I don't particularly like smoke but if the smoker in our group can keep some mosquitoes away :D from me I'm ok with it.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby johnemus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm

My opinion is different than most of yours. I actually like the rule. Now let me preface this by saying, I don't mind playing with smokers or anything like that.

However, IF disc golf is trying to become a larger, much more popular sport, than its got to appear to be more professional to outsiders. You don't see pro golfers smoking/drinking during tournaments or other professional athletes doing this while they are competing. The better disc golf can look in the public eye, the better the likelihood of it growing, which is what I hope to see it do. Just my opinion
johnemus

Postby medicinal funk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 pm

johnemus wrote:My opinion is different than most of yours. I actually like the rule. Now let me preface this by saying, I don't mind playing with smokers or anything like that.

However, IF disc golf is trying to become a larger, much more popular sport, than its got to appear to be more professional to outsiders. You don't see pro golfers smoking/drinking during tournaments or other professional athletes doing this while they are competing. The better disc golf can look in the public eye, the better the likelihood of it growing, which is what I hope to see it do. Just my opinion

guys smoke during PGA events too, you just don't see it on television
medicinal funk

Postby Single L » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:26 pm

"I ain't an athlete, lady, I'm a baseball player."
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby blkwizardsonny » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 pm

medicinal funk wrote:
johnemus wrote:My opinion is different than most of yours. I actually like the rule. Now let me preface this by saying, I don't mind playing with smokers or anything like that.

john daly smokes on tv b 4
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:33 pm

medicinal funk wrote:guys smoke during PGA events too, you just don't see it on television

yep. ^^

dont pull the "grow up" card, they smoke in MLB dugout tunnels and offices. i smoke but need to quit. cigs r gross. go ahead and make it illegal in events, see how well the no beer rule works currently....
Abe Froman

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:50 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:
medicinal funk wrote:

I'm pretty sure they get fined for it too
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby The Donator » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:53 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
blkwizardsonny wrote:
medicinal funk wrote:

I'm pretty sure they get fined for it too

They do.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Next

Return to Ask the State Coordinator