Veteran's Hospital course?

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Veteran's Hospital course?

Postby Marcovis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Was driving home from work and noticed what looked like chainstar baskets freshly cemented in the ground in the park area behind the VA hospital. The area has rolling hills and mature trees. I saw 6 baskets and assume its probably a 9 hole course. Anybody know anything about this?
Marcovis

Postby Dale Jordal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Interesting .... I doubt this has anything to do with this but my son filled out a survey at VA a couple months ago on what they could do to improve the place. He told me he put:
1. Wi-Fi
2. Disc Golf Course

Government just doesn't work that fast ... it must have already been in the works.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Marcovis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Went and played the course after dinner. Level concrete pads, dga baskets, and its 9 holes. Great use of the land, good amount of elevation throughout, easy flow from hole to hole, lots of trees and a few low ceilings, holes range from 200-325 by my guess. Definitely worth playing. I ran into an employee Leaving work and he said it was put in about two weeks ago.
Marcovis

Postby Joshua » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Is this the VA hospital in Des Moines over on Douglas/ Beaver? If yes, is it open to the public, or is it private? Would love to play it if so! :)
Joshua

Postby Marcovis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 pm

That's the place. First tee is south of concrete barricades in the south west parking lot. Hole 2 is to the right of 1's basket right by the brick building. After that its easy to follow.
Marcovis

Postby Joshua » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Thank you for the info about the new course! Hope to go play it soon :)
Joshua

Postby Discgo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

According to Shane the course is private and for employees of the hospital. I have heard from several people that the groundskeepers are not kicking people out and have even asked how we like the course. If you play the course use the utmost respect so we don't get kicked out in the future.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Cydisc » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Discgo wrote:According to Shane the course is private and for employees of the hospital. I have heard from several people that the groundskeepers are not kicking people out and have even asked how we like the course. If you play the course use the utmost respect so we don't get kicked out in the future.

Good advice for any course...

And this is one of those pieces of land I've always wanted to see a course built. Happy it got done. Anyone know who designed it?
Cydisc

Postby Discgo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Cydisc wrote:
Discgo wrote:According to Shane the course is private and for employees of the hospital. I have heard from several people that the groundskeepers are not kicking people out and have even asked how we like the course. If you play the course use the utmost respect so we don't get kicked out in the future.

Good advice for any course...

And this is one of those pieces of land I've always wanted to see a course built. Happy it got done. Anyone know who designed it?
I believe Shane helped them with the design. The Des Moines Disc Golf Club has been involved with this project for almost a year now. We never went public about it due to the fact the course is private.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby puppetmaster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 am

Son in law just got his 1st ace yesterday on hole 1. first time there
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby shane » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:10 pm

The VA approached ProFlight over a year ago about a course there. I've been working on the course ever since. We were able to secure the funds through the wellness program there. They are still working on signs.

This course IS A PRIVATE COURSE! It's meant for the staff and a certain level of patients, this was part of the design. It's kind of cool how they're doing it, they have starter bags with discs and they can check them out on their breaks.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Joshua » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:16 am

So if I went over there and played the private course, they (and you, sir) would frown upon that? Doh. I wanted to play it :cry:
Joshua

Postby Ferch » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 am

Joshua wrote:So if I went over there and played the private course, they (and you, sir) would frown upon that? Doh. I wanted to play it :cry:

I went there yesterday with my roomate and his grandson. It is a fun course with a great layout for a 9 hole. My roomate can't stand playing public courses because of the lack of courtesy usually shown by recs. So playing here was a joy to him. The boy had a great time and at 12 years old already was loving the different lines to be thrown on each hole.

Now with that said, yes it is a private course, yes security saw us playing, no they didn't say anything, and yes I was TRESPASSING. But I can not resist a new course no matter the consequences and it was worth it.
Fantastic job Shane!
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby puppetmaster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:22 am

According to a security guard there, they don't care if people play there, BUT; when the public starts tearing the place up as in trash and so on, it will be closed to the public. No drinking is allowed. PERIOD..... That's why when I was there, I picked up other people cig butts.

I would love to see them do the same thing that Indian Hills did and have a bag tag program which would keep the rip-raf out, but that would take someone that knows the big wigs to sell the idea and represent the serious disc golfing community.

One last thing, after it rains, stay off please, it will be a muddy mess even after they get the grass to grow along hole 6, 7 and 8.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby irban » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 am

D31756F wrote:My roomate can't stand playing public courses because of the lack of courtesy usually shown by recs.

Jeez, really?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club