Work that needs done at the Peninsula Disc Golf Park 2011.

Work that needs done at the Peninsula Disc Golf Park 2011.

Postby Hamer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:20 pm

I worked out on the course today for a few hours. I trimmed up the giant weeds that were hanging in the five fairway just off of the tee pad. I picked up some sticks in the four and five fairway. I also trimmed some branches that were hanging down.

The city cut the big limb down on hole two that has had the orange fence around it since 2009. It is great to have the blue tee pad playable again.

Here is a list of the main things that need done.
1)The right side of the twelve fairway needs a lot of weed eating to get it back to normal.
2)The baskets need some weed eating underneath them because the grass is growing up through them.
3)Some of the fairways need a bit of weed eating to widen them out.
4)The four fairway needs some weed eating off of the tee pad to the right.
5)A path with the weed eater needs to be cut from after eight over to the red tee pad at nine.
6)Any branches and sticks that are down in the fairways need to be picked up and tossed off to the side.
7)A couple of the steps need to be reset on the walk between seventeen and eighteen.
8)Some pole saw trimming of branches that are higher up than can be reached with loppers would be good.
9)The baskets will be moved into tournament locations next week. Anyone that wants to help do that is more than welcome to join us.
10)Make sure you check the alleys from both the red and the blue pads to see what kind of work needs to be done. We will be playing one round from each set of tee pads.

I will be working out at the Peninsula quite a bit leading up to the tournament on 10/2/2011.
Call me at 319-541-5495 if you have any questions.
Andy Hamer
Last edited by Hamer on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can only be offended if you want to be.
Hamer

Postby jnecessary » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Holes 1-7 are loppered and pole sawed, be sure to check out 5 blue, it really looks pretty good.

Hu-Hot for lunch and Aaron and I are heading back out there.
jnecessary

Postby IHearChains » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:14 pm

Weed-whacked under all the baskets, and the steps/paths to blue tees on 5,10,12,15. Thanks to Mike the Axe for helping with this!

The course is actually in pretty good shape, very playable!
IHearChains

Sunday 10:00 AM, Peninsula - Disc and a little work

Postby jnecessary » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks Greg and Mike!

Aaron and I also finished with the pole saws on the rest of the course, pretty much all that could be done was done on every hole. Between the two of us we have 22 hours logged out there since Friday! Gettin' stuff done!

The big dead hanger on 11 was too high to reach unfortunately, not sure what we can do with that yet. You should notice a bit higher ceiling nearly across the entire course, except in places where we kept it low for a reason.

Hope to get a few people out to play a round tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM and at the same time get all the branches that were cut down today with pole saws cleared from the fairways. Every hole was worked on, so there is a significant amount of debris to be removed, but not a ton.

Easy way to contribute to getting this great course in shape for the 3 seasons that it plays best.

The course really is playing well right now, the mowing job was pretty good given how high the city typically mows it. The nettles are still out, but they have withered a good bit from the long dry spell and don't seem to sting as bad, but I'd still wear long socks or light pants.

On another note, we probably saw at least 15 different groups of golfers out there today, that is quite a bit for the Pen!
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 pm

One other note, hole 5 blue is pretty awesome right now. No matter how much rain we get, if the river is down that hole will stay dry.
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Jason Straud, Harper, Aaron Killion and myself got in a bunch of hours work today. All the branches and junk that was cut yesterday was cleaned up, along with lots of fairway debris.

There is still plenty of smaller things to pick up and toss to the sides so please take a moment during your casual rounds to do so.

Lots of good work done, still a bunch to do but the course looks better and better every day.
jnecessary

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:08 pm

jnecessary wrote:Jason Straud, Harper, Aaron Killion and myself got in a bunch of hours work today. All the branches and junk that was cut yesterday was cleaned up, along with lots of fairway debris.

There is still plenty of smaller things to pick up and toss to the sides so please take a moment during your casual rounds to do so.

Lots of good work done, still a bunch to do but the course looks better and better every day.
didnt find a green clear orc with no name in middle of fairway ? not sure what hole
blkwizardsonny

Postby jnecessary » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Nope, 40+ hours of combined work out there in the last 3-4 days and the only disc found was a champ coyote.
jnecessary

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 pm

looked good first time there we did alot of looking lol love the course but not the nettles
blkwizardsonny

Postby Hamer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank you to everyone that has been out helping clean up the course.
I was out there for over twenty hours last week trimming trees and picking up debris in the fairways.

Jim and Aaron have gotten a lot done and put in a ton of hours over the weekend.
Thank you to Aaron, Greg, Jason and Mike for their help.

I will be working on the list all of this week.
There is a lot of weed eating to do to get the course into tip top shape.

I can get a chainsaw to use if you cannot Jim.

The baskets will be moved sometime this week into the tournament locations.

If you have any questions or want to meet me out there to help move the baskets, please call 319-541-5495.
Andy Hamer
Hamer

Postby IHearChains » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 am

Hamer wrote:The baskets will be moved sometime this week into the tournament locations.

The only alternate pin position I weedwhacked around was 14. Some of those still might need some help.
IHearChains

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks to everyone for trimming and sweating out at the Peninsula! A few hours with a chain saw will just about take care of the big things. The trimming looks great.

I pulled weeds off a few of the alternate pin locations, but didn't get to them all.
prodiscgolf

Postby Hamer » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I got a couple of hours of work done at the peninsula this morning with the weed eater.

Hole 1: I trimmed around the red and blue tee pads and the directional markers and around the evergreens in the fairway. Hole one is done and ready to go for the tournament.

Hole 2: I trimmed around the red and blue tee pads and some nettles in the fairway. I also trimmed the path between the red and blue tee pads. I trimmed around all of the trees in the fairway. I also widened out the greens and trimmed around the directional markers. I picked up a bunch of sticks and threw them off of the fairway. Hole two is done and ready to go for the tournament.

Thank you to everyone that that has helped work on the course.
Hamer

Postby Mrs VCDG » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 pm

Played the first 10 and 18 with Andy tonight after a long day at work .... the course looks better than I have ever seen it!

Thanks to everyone for their hard work!

Diane
Mrs VCDG
Andy's Wife - Diane
http://www.viciouscirclediscgolf.com
Team Vicious Circle

It is better to know that you are a part of something important, than to think you are the important part of something.
Mrs VCDG

Postby jnecessary » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Missed you guys out there, I had the truck out back, no way I wanted to carry the ladder/chainsaw and other junk from the dog park.

Anyways, chain saw ran out of gas with maybe 3 minutes more work to do with it, at least the stuff I planned on cutting. Logs/trees that were cut on 6, 7 and 8 need to be hauled off the fairways, maybe get this before league time on Thursday if I play, if someone can't get it before me.

I was thinking we could roll the big stuff on 7 to wherever we want it, kind of a nice big log, could be used as a divider between the pin locations or just a back stop behind either pin...ideas?

After the gas ran out I got the pole saw and went to work. The giant tree in front of the elevated blue pad on 15 is getting a makeover, got everything I could reach with the pole saw, next step is the ladder and cleaning another 15-20' higher.

Aaron showed up and helped me a ton on 11, the "Island" in the fairway was taken care of. The top of the tree that was hanging and dead was removed and the lower branches were cut off to really open up the fairway a bit.

Feels good having so many people jumping in to get the Pen back in shape. Even had a Stibal sighting, and as usual he had been out there working already, just never tells anyone about it. Thanks for the chainsaw Stibs!

Here are a couple pics from the night.
The big dead tree on 7 is on the ground.
After wrestling with that hanging branch for what felt like an hour with just a hand saw up there!
Looking down from the tree tops while Aaron was hauling off branches.
and finally, the finished product :)

Thanks Killion for the help, I'm scared of heights so no way I would have done the ladder work without someone there.

If the pics are fun, I'll post some more next time.
jnecessary

Next

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park