New course possibilities in CR

Moderator: peyton

Postby ChainFreaks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm

to be honest I have never been to Robins it was just an offer that has kind of sparked a fire in me I really want to get something in to Ellis I have been doing a lot of running back there and I know we could make a 5 star course back there, its just the city of cr kind of wants to wash their hands from disc golf... like Adam said not enough in the budget to fund large scale projects like a dg course. All I can do is try and raise money to fund 9 holes and hope for the best.
ChainFreaks

Postby robizm » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 pm

It's good to see that kind of passion with Ellis ( I like that area too ) but why would you not take the mention from the Mayor of Robins and focus on that ?

Lit fires don't need kindling
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby Abe Froman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:38 pm

There was an old pole hole course @ ellis wayyy back in the day but they pulled it. There mightve been baskets but I can't remember..

I'd jump on the robins action if u could find out what land he's agreed to use. U might only get 9.. All I see on google maps is a small city park. There might b city owned land that's unused which would be cool. You can get permanent sponsors per hole for like 500 or so. Check the land out first then I can help you get sponsors for them if you can get 18 holes approved. This could be a lil dink 9er or something cool, u won't know til u find out about the land first.
Abe Froman

Postby ANTI-ANTI » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Abe Froman wrote:There was an old pole hole course @ ellis wayyy back in the day but they pulled it. There mightve been baskets but I can't remember..

I'd jump on the robins action if u could find out what land he's agreed to use. U might only get 9.. All I see on google maps is a small city park. There might b city owned land that's unused which would be cool. You can get permanent sponsors per hole for like 500 or so. Check the land out first then I can help you get sponsors for them if you can get 18 holes approved. This could be a lil dink 9er or something cool, u won't know til u find out about the land first.

They were the old plastic cone baskets. There was an article about that type of basket in the disc golf mag. this year. I can't remember what the course was like exactly but I played it when I was a kid with a Frisbee.
" Weekends don't mean so much when your unemployed, except you get to hang out with your workin' friends."

-Les Claypool
ANTI-ANTI

Location: The west side, southwest side, middle east, rich house, dog house, out house, old folks house

Postby ChainFreaks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Grimm wrote:
ChainFreaks wrote:I was talking about baskets pads and signs, talking rough numbers and how many more people a 18 hole course could accommodate in comparison to a basketball or tennis court. He seemed like it would be a go as soon as the collective WE got the funds.

I'm sure getting groups/companys to sponser 9 holes woudn't be a problem. But, Robins and where? It would be good to have another course in the area but I can play Vinton, Center Point or Pinicon Ridge anytime.

If I'm heading there I'm playing Wildcat instead.

Robins is much closer to cedar rapids than centerpoint of urbana, it connects to hiawatha. All I know is the more citys that the collective "WE" can move into and build courses the better it would be for our community.
ChainFreaks

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Ill help regardless, just find out what land is available first before you invest too much time.

Shit, hiawatha was a soy bean field before we (doug) put a course there. Anything is beter than nothing. It could be super awesome if you get some timber. But again, find out where the land is and gimme a holler. Ill help ya bro
Abe Froman

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 am

i saw a new 3 holer off of kirkwood blvd on the west side of the road in a grassy area inside the parking lot of the apartment complex there. i didn't see any tee pads or signs but if you played the volleyball court ob it might be challanging. nice brand new mach 5's, they look really nice. it's probably a par 5 course average distance of 70 ft.

maybe we should get together and get hole sponsors for a new course or even revamp (new layout) jones, i know i can i get 18 guys/businesses to donate 500.00 towards a basket and sign. i've already got 2, me and first fed, let's do something like this.
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby diskey river » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 am

No one likes to talk pay to play courses but Vallarta-AST in Madison, WI charges $8 for a daily pass, and $42 for a yearly pass.

The yearly pass in reasonable. With that money they are currently adding 9 holes to the course, and building a new 18 hole course, plus paying someone to maintain the course during playing season. Might be easier if it were to be able to pay for itself.

And what happened to Kent State Park, heard like 2 years ago that was a done deal?
diskey river

Postby jnecessary » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 am

diskey river wrote:And what happened to Kent State Park, heard like 2 years ago that was a done deal?

Heard that one fell through.
jnecessary

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:11 am

Would love to see a few pay to play courses around here, but the business model only works for larger market areas where an on site employee's daily pay can be subsidised by entrance fees. CR cannot create the necessary traffic to offset that. Where as some state parks will have an onsite parks rep already there it would work better. Also for jones, when we re-did the signs a few yrs ago I was informed that the original hole sponsors had to remain on the signs... So don't dream up any major changes there for a while.. Greco, gimme a call and we chat about something offline
Abe Froman

Postby diskey river » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:22 pm

jnecessary wrote:
diskey river wrote:And what happened to Kent State Park, heard like 2 years ago that was a done deal?

I think if we went to KSP and proposed a small pay to play system this could easily be back on.
diskey river

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:46 pm

when i entered that dream course give-away i aksed my parents if i won if i could put a course on their property, they have 22 acres, 17 wooded and 5 is an open hay/alfafa field. it's about 6 miles east of solon overlooking the cedar river.

i'm sure they'd even let people camp out there and everything. my mom would probably make people dinner and with my dad being a retired cop i would hope no schenanagains would be going down. he would mow it all and keep it up i'm sure. but i would have it pay to play for sure and the money would go to new stuff.

it can happen!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:41 pm

diskey river wrote:
jnecessary wrote:

I think if we went to KSP and proposed a small pay to play system this could easily be back on.

P2P only works if yo have somebody on site to collect the $. And that person would get paid an hourly salary. You need a large ammount of traffic to cover the hourly rate of the person on site. P2P would only work for large markets unless there is already somebody like a parks office on site...
Abe Froman

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 pm

i can't stop thinking about buying baskets. i think a course for discers by discers would be sweet, each hole is named after the individual, so you could say i aced greco's hole last night, wait, that sounds aweful, but enjoyable because my hole is tough, wait, that's even worse, you know what i mean.

as an individual all you need to do is run a couple of tourny's and you'd have your basket money
3x state champ runner up

Postby jnecessary » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Aren't nearly all courses by discers and for discers?

Coordinating 18 people or even 9 to raise money for and potentially design their own hole would be chaos, but a pretty awesome idea if it were to happen. Hard enough to work with 2 opinions, imagine 9 or 18.
jnecessary

PreviousNext

Return to Cedar Rapids Club