First Impressions Playing

First Impressions Playing

Postby anubis080 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Loving this course; very well manicured. I hope it can stay this way. Even though the signs are not yet up, you can tell where you go next since the mowed fairways link you to the next teepad.

The teepads are great since there is a release line set in the teepad, and then the teepad extends out another couple feet. Helps with footing for sure.

Even though the course is set in a flat field, pretty challenging course. Lot's of distance and slight hills. Excellent design, all the trees make for interesting shots out there. A good mix of backhand and forehand!
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Re: First Impressions Playing

Postby IHearChains » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 am

anubis080 wrote:Loving this course; very well manicured. I hope it can stay this way. Even though the signs are not yet up, you can tell where you go next since the mowed fairways link you to the next teepad.

The teepads are great since there is a release line set in the teepad, and then the teepad extends out another couple feet. Helps with footing for sure.

Even though the course is set in a flat field, pretty challenging course. Lot's of distance and VERY VERY slight hills. Excellent design, all the trees make for interesting shots out there. A good mix of backhand and forehand!

I agree, good mix of shots, nice teepads, great mowing job (hope this continues!). Some trees need a few of the lower branches trimmed out to make a reasonable ceiling to shoot under, like 4 and 17 for instance. I enjoyed playing there, those with bigger arms will probably love it!
IHearChains

Postby anubis080 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:54 am

Definitely agree with those branches. A little work on those would be great; definitely willing to help out with the course.

I'm thinking a lot of people will hover around par on this course. If you can throw 425 consistently, youll be sub 50's. That may change with OB rulings. Quickly turning into one of my favorites; up there with Middle and Legion. Never going to lose a disc out there either!
anubis080

Postby Sprague » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Keep in mind that there are 3 pin positions on every hole. The boyscouts selected 2 out of the 3 at random to pour and the city selected 1 of the 2 sleeves based on what they could find or at random (the others are yet to be poured). So you are looking at a mix of Gold and Blue level with a sprinkling of the White level (if you're familiar with that criteria). This course will be adjustable to a variety of skills levels while keeping par 3s, 4s, and 5s in the mix. So the current layout certainly caters to bigger arms, but future layouts will be accessible to a wider range of skill levels.

Also, if you can wrap you're mind around the Traditional Golf model of par, you'll be able to keep a level head on the 770 short par 5 or even the 870 par 5 (two throws to establish your approach for a birdie putt). In the PGA you often see multiple eagles on a par 5, so the 770 or 870 par 5 can be reached in two with two great throws. (Par has nothing to do with average score - it's how many shots to get on the green in regulation with two putts - if you have to throw full pull driver on two shots to reach it, it's usually a par 5).

As for tree trimming - keep in mind we have not worked on the course (at all). We are working with the Forestry dept to get the proper canopy on holes 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 15, and 17 - they are very excited to give us the best product this course has to offer and you'll continue to see the fairways mowed with care and enthusiasm! There are also plans in the works to create bunkers (trees/bushes/tall grass) to punish some of those big arms who fail to control their shots (just like Traditional Golf).

Thanks for all the input and if an opportunity comes up to do some work out there, we'll appreciate any and all help!
Sprague

Postby freburg36625 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:54 am

The designers have done a great job with what they had to work with. The lack of elevation is soon forgotten when you have to start making wide open shot selection and on the fly distance judgements. Its amazing how difficult it can be to execute a simple 300' hyzer when there are no landmarks. I also like the options off the tee on holes 1,4,5,11,14,17. I have seen air shots and rollers do equally well. Also a good mix of left to right and right to left tee shots. Great course all in all. Can't wait to see the first tournament layout with usdgc style O.B.
freburg36625

Postby anubis080 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 am

freburg36625 wrote:The designers have done a great job with what they had to work with. The lack of elevation is soon forgotten when you have to start making wide open shot selection and on the fly distance judgements. Its amazing how difficult it can be to execute a simple 300' hyzer when there are no landmarks. I also like the options off the tee on holes 1,4,5,11,14,17. I have seen air shots and rollers do equally well. Also a good mix of left to right and right to left tee shots. Great course all in all. Can't wait to see the first tournament layout with usdgc style O.B.

Yeah, one of the best things about the course is the variety to choose from. So many different combinations of pin placements, mixed with great shot selection. The lack of landmarks on some holes does make it more challenging to judge distance. Definitely agree on not caring about the elevation; easily my favorite course in the area now! Can't wait till it's fine tuned :)
anubis080

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 pm

This is a fun course! First time I played it I played very well. (53) Played it again today and shot a weak 58. :roll: I really liked the course! Great work in the design guys!
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby SoCal19 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:28 am

Awesome course. I really love the design, it made me throw every disc in my bag. Really sets up like a regular golf course by forcing you to place your drive off the tee to set yourself up for your approach. Great job to everyone who put time into this course.
SoCal19

Return to Davenport -- Credit Island