Storm Damage

Postby hyzerman16234 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:08 am

We now have 6, A, C and the trail to 7 cleaned up pretty good. We plan to get 1B pad open and finish 2, 9 and see about cleaning up 8 today. A couple more days like yesterday and the front will be looking almost normal. Tomorrow and Sunday we will be mulching. Any help is welcome.
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
hyzerman16234

Postby hyzerman16234 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 am

All pins are usable except: 10C, 15B, 16B and18C. The holes with the most wood cutting needs are: B, C, and 7 through 9 on the front, and 15 through 18 on the back. We also have 16 of 26 pads mulched. There are a half dozen hangers that either can't be brought down without climbing trees or are being stubborn. Some of those will be trimmed up as high as possible. For being 5 weeks after the storm, the course looks pretty good.
hyzerman16234

Postby Crager » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:14 pm

hyzerman16234 wrote:All pins are usable except: 10C, 15B, 16B and18C. The holes with the most wood cutting needs are: B, C, and 7 through 9 on the front, and 15 through 18 on the back. We also have 16 of 26 pads mulched. There are a half dozen hangers that either can't be brought down without climbing trees or are being stubborn. Some of those will be trimmed up as high as possible. For being 5 weeks after the storm, the course looks pretty good.

Looking good.
There was also a sighting of a Peyton on the course this weekend with a bag of disc's and it was not Tim.
Watch out he is coming back. LOL
Crager

Postby medicinal funk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm

was out there saturday, pretty sure i saw a group of you guys hanging in the front when dan kent and i got there and went putt for awhile. the course played good, all the recuperative efforts out there are showing. couldn't believe 17 was as open as it was when we got to the tee. the last picture i saw of it, it was unrecognizable.

think i like the big leaner on hole 17. i gunned a Z flash and tried to go under it, gust of wind bounced it up almost into it, but just barely went over the top of it, bounced back down, landed about 40 from the pin

for that reason alone i think it should stay :lol:
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 pm

medicinal funk wrote:was out there saturday, pretty sure i saw a group of you guys hanging in the front when dan kent and i got there and went putt for awhile. the course played good, all the recuperative efforts out there are showing. couldn't believe 17 was as open as it was when we got to the tee. the last picture i saw of it, it was unrecognizable.

think i like the big leaner on hole 17. i gunned a Z flash and tried to go under it, gust of wind bounced it up almost into it, but just barely went over the top of it, bounced back down, landed about 40 from the pin

We were mulching I think when you showed up, were you in the white Cady?
I guess I should say we were mulching until the tire flew off the wagon, Nascar moment for sure, then we were done.

Like Steve said, the progress in the last 5 weeks has been amazing considering the amount of damage. If you would have saw the amount of destruction before we started and what it currently looks like, I think you would have a different outlook other than saying recuperative efforts, it's more like night and day. We've still got quite a few things to tidy up and the course will be scarred for awhile but time will heal the cosmetic imperfections and I truly believe the course will be better than ever in the near future.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby medicinal funk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:
medicinal funk wrote:was out there saturday, pretty sure i saw a group of you guys hanging in the front when dan kent and i got there and went putt for awhile. the course played good, all the recuperative efforts out there are showing. couldn't believe 17 was as open as it was when we got to the tee. the last picture i saw of it, it was unrecognizable.

I guess I should say we were mulching until the tire flew off the wagon, Nascar moment for sure, then we were done.

Like Steve said, the progress in the last 5 weeks has been amazing considering the amount of damage. If you would have saw the amount of destruction before we started and what it currently looks like, I think you would have a different outlook other than saying recuperative efforts, it's more like night and day.

perhaps i chose the wrong words for it. i wasn't able to see the damage firsthand but my buddy nic (Elevated) snapped a bunch of photos of it that i checked out. all i know is the course has been brought back to health thanks to your guys' efforts
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
medicinal funk

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:49 pm

medicinal funk wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

Like Steve said, the progress in the last 5 weeks has been amazing considering the amount of damage. If you would have saw the amount of destruction before we started and what it currently looks like, I think you would have a different outlook other than saying recuperative efforts, it's more like night and day.

perhaps i chose the wrong words for it. i wasn't able to see the damage firsthand but my buddy nic (Elevated) snapped a bunch of photos of it that i checked out. all i know is the course has been brought back to health thanks to your guys' efforts

No worries, not doggin' you bro. Photos are great if you can't be there in person but they do not show the depth of destruction or give you the actual feel of wave after wave of the downed trees we witnessed on the first walk through, or maybe I should say crawl through. Sometimes I think all the crew's got a very large screw loose to even want to clean this all up but it's what we do. We never really questioned if we should do it, we just did it. We're at a point now where we don't even notice or remember some of the stuff we cut up, it's just gone now.:lol:

We have appreciated all the help we have received from a number of individuals, even if it was for one day, and their work will not go unnoticed.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby hyzerman16234 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:05 pm

After this weeks work, the front 12 is about done as far as cutting is concerned. There is about 6 to 8 hours of saw time left there. The back still needs a lot of work from 14 through 18. 14 looks good overall but the folded tree on the hill top has to go. The right and left side by the steps needs more clean up also. There is a dangerous hanger on #7 that we have to bring down, or hopefully it will just fall. If you are playing I wouldn't stand under it. The crew plans to mulch Sunday so that should be about done. We might get some fires going soon so the brush can disappear where it is the worst. 11 and 12 are weed eated too so they look good.
hyzerman16234

Postby hyzerman16234 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 pm

I cut up 15B today and moved the basket there. I cut a lot of 16 but didn't move much down by the B pin. Once that is cleaned up I'll cut more. I plan to do that Monday. The cutting is almost done! Maybe 50 hours left after 500 worked! :twisted:
hyzerman16234

Postby hyzerman16234 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 pm

10 is in the C pin now. 16 is in the B pin. Those 2 pins are officially cleaned up. The back 9 is close to done! 8)
hyzerman16234

Postby hyzerman16234 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm burning brush on 17 tomorrow morning. Help is welcome.
hyzerman16234

Postby Discgo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 am

hyzerman16234 wrote:I'm burning brush on 17 tomorrow morning. Help is welcome.

The course looked great when I played it. Glad you guys have such a dedicated crew that is willing to do the hard work. Can't wait for the Open.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 am

hyzerman16234 wrote:I'm burning brush on 17 tomorrow morning. Help is welcome.

If anyone gets a chance to do this, it's a blast! If I was off work today I'd be there in a second. We burned brush on #10 and #11 this past weekend while camping, it cleaned the edges of the fairways VERY quickly. It's amazing how much stuff you can burn and how fast the dry leaves go up in flames instantly. You just have to pick a good spot in the middle of the fairway that has a good opening up above or..... :lol:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Discgo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am

I can't wait to see 17 cleaned at the tournament. I almost lost my disc there when I played tuesday. Thank goodness we had a spotter (Wildcat Crew at work) or my disc would be going up in smoke right about now.
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Discgo wrote:I can't wait to see 17 cleaned at the tournament. I almost lost my disc there when I played tuesday. Thank goodness we had a spotter (Wildcat Crew at work) or my disc would be going up in smoke right about now.

I have a feeling we'll be finding a few discs on #17 as we are making small starter piles in the middle and then, once burning, feeding them with branches we pull down from the big piles on either side of the fairway. Discs should be popping up as we disassemble those piles.
Budhyzer 17696

PreviousNext

Return to Urbana - Wildcat Bluff