Old School

Postby grodney » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm

This one is for BZ.

Disc Golf Journal - Jul/Aug 1998

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... 3&hl=en_US

Let me know if that link doesn't work.
grodney

Postby discgolfduval » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:32 am

I cant get anything from this link G but Id like to read this for sure. What a terrible thing for such a great person to have to go through. For people that grew up playing disc golf in Des Moines for the last 20 years, she was certainly a huge part of its growth and I for one will be praying for her recovery.
discgolfduval

Postby grodney » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 am

Hmmm, I'll try to host that PDF somewhere else.
grodney

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I didn't have any problems, chalk it up to user error on Fausch's part.
GDL17921

Postby irban » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm

I also have trouble at work anyway. I'll try at home tonight.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Thank You Rodney!! and My Long Story....

Postby BeckyZ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you Rodney for bringing back happy, happy memories. I'm finally feeling a little better today to get on the computer and here’s my story.

Mike and I play casually and but not much in tournaments since stepping down from DSM club duties in December of 06. Our last major volunteer efforts were volunteers for a week at Kansas City Worlds in 09 as TDs for the Olathe Prairie Center course. Last year I played 9 new Iowa courses to me - Dubuque being my favorite. Then we also played Sedgely Woods and Tyler State Park in PA and then Brandywine State Park in Delaware when we went to a wedding north of Philly last September. We actually went to more concerts last year in Omaha and Kansas City so we could see bands on our bucket list - like Steve Winwood, Santana, Jimmy Cliff and Primus. So we spent our tournament funds on concerts instead!

Mike and I were in Palm Springs, Calif in late Feb of this year staying at his brother's vacation home. After being there for 5 days we went and played 18 holes of disc golf at the Palm Desert course. The next day we went to Joshua Tree National Park and I was not feeling so good. When we got to Joshua Tree, Mike climbed the rocks at all the points we stopped at but I just watched him and walked around while he climbed. I was really quiet the six hours we were in the park. Then we drove home and I was still quiet and Mike knew something was wrong. I laid down and wasn't much responsive. Mike called 911 and I was able to get up and get into the ambulance. That night at 2:00 am Cali time they found 2 tumors in my brain. Mike called my mom and she called my brother Chris who is a neurologist in Peoria. My mom, sister, and brother were all on early morning flights. I was only three nights in the hospital and Sunday night I got to go stay at my brother-in-law's home after they gave me anti-swelling and anti-seizure medications. Monday afternoon my brother and I got on a plane to Chicago and then Des Moines where our brother-in-law Charlie who is an Internal Medicine doctor picked us up at the airport and drove us straight to the hospital for me to be admitted. The next day Mike, my sister and mom came home.

4 days later on Friday March 4 I had the two tumors removed by a neurosurgeon Dr. Robert Kerr who went to college in Toronto and played Ultimate and disc golf on Toronto Island in his undergraduate years! Only me- Becky Z. could have had a disc golfer neurosurgeon!!!! (He doesn't play anymore because of his wife and young kids and he is 48 years old.) It was a 10 hour surgery and I was blessed and woke up with all my faculties. I even woke up in the ICU and said a prayer with 10 family members the next morning. They sent tumor samples to Mayo Clinic and 2 weeks later it came back as Glioblastoma Astrocytoma Type 4.

I started 6 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments on April 4th and only made it until May 3rd when they had to stop treatment because it was making me so sick. The last 5 Fridays I've had to have platelets and red blood cells infusions because all my numbers are so low. I only had 7 radiation treatments to go and they started me back up on them the week before Memorial day. I finished them the week of Memorial day. I am homebound and can't go anywhere because I could end up in the hospital. I've lost 25 pounds from not eating and have no muscle mass. I'm scared to start up the chemo again because everything has a bad smell and food just tastes terrible. I'm living on watermelon, juices, and chocolate soy milk. I'm starting to feel better though and that is why I can get on the computer - even though my head is percolating due to the radiation. I also slept all day today. I only get online once or twice a week for less than a half hour and I sleep 18 or more hours a day. Good thing Mike has stepped up to plate and is doing all the house and yard work.

The doctors said my tumors occurred in less than 1 to 3 months. When they did my scans they said everything from the neck down was in perfect shape - I had been doing yoga every day and riding my bike about a 100 miles a week and power walking each day the last two years - besides disc golf on the weekends. I had to so I could lose weight from when I quit smoking in November of 2007. My follow-up MRI is on my deceased dad's birthday - July 14th. We'll see if the radiation got all the residue of the tumors out and kept them from spreading.

Thank you to everyone who is keeping me in your prayers and sending good vibrations. Thank you to those who are giving Kuzi hugs and love to send me when you see him out on the courses. I am so happy when he comes home and shares his hug collection with me and he is happy giving me the hug collection and telling me all your kind loving words. I have two mantra’s – PMA, Positive Mental Attitude and that I am happy, healthy, whole and complete. Thank you for helping me my mantras everyone!

Thank you for the cards, flowers and discs too!

Lots of Love and HUGS to each and every one of you reading this. I will always love disc golf and I love disc golfers! You're the BEST!!!
BeckyZ

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Wow Becky! I'll send many prayers and hugs your way.
prodiscgolf

Postby shane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 pm

My prayers are with you Becky. If there is anything just have Kuzi holler!
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Discgo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 pm

My Dad enjoyed Sunkist Orange soda out of a frosty mug when he was going through chemo and radiation. Get well soon and thanks for everything you have done for disc golf. :D
Discgo

Postby Sniper26 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 pm

This is the first I have heard of this Becky, you can win this battle. I was recently at a Relay for Life event in Davenport with my mother (a cancer survivor) and listened to their honorary survivor speak. She has beaten 5 different types of Cancer and said she kept her positive attitude by considering them "Medical Adventures". This may be the toughest of your many adventures, but not one you can't conquer. Best of luck and look forward to seeing you on the tournament scene soon.
Sniper26

Postby grodney » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 am

Thinking of you Becky.

Me, Erin, and the girls are wishing you the best.
grodney

Postby The Donator » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 am

Prayers and blessings are with you Becky...if not for you, I would have never found out about disc golf. I wish you the best.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

We are Family!

Postby BeckyZ » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:41 am

Thank you everyone for your prayers, well wishes and positive vibrations! You are all the best! Love YOU! Becky Z.
BeckyZ

Postby Cydisc » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:56 am

Positive waves heading your way, Z. We love you!
Cydisc

Postby Captain » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Becky, you were the first woman I met who was trying to make a difference in the game. Thank you for caring that much! We need more people like you.
Captain

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club