Iowa DG Trip - So nice we did it twice?

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Iowa DG Trip - So nice we did it twice?

Postby periferalFinn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:46 pm

So 2 years ago a group of us came to your wonderful city and had a great time. You guys provided amazing help in this thread.

This year we are considering coming back. The weekend that we're planning to come is Friday, April 29-Sunday, May1. One of the biggest reasons we want to come back is that we felt we didn't give Walnut Ridge enough time. We only got a late day round in that we had to rush to get done. So as we were trying to formulate a plan, we were thinking that maybe we should stay in Ames and focus on those 2 courses and maybe the 'Northside' of Des Moines with Walnut, maybe Big Creek or Ewing. Then also considering Boone assuming we want to brave that (I've read it is confusing and rough).

So this is our rough plan. I got a little concerned about the plan recently when I read another forum that said the Ames courses aren't worth playing. I'm curious what anyone else thinks about that. We'd like to try some new courses but if those 2 aren't worth it then it kinda changes the trip, where we stay, etc. You guys were ridiculously helpful 2 years ago so I'm hoping I can get your thoughts again.[/url]
periferalFinn

Re: Iowa DG Trip - So nice we did it twice?

Postby bergdawg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:11 pm

periferalFinn wrote:I read another forum that said the Ames courses aren't worth playing.

Don't listen to those haters. ISU is definitely worth playing.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg

Postby Clue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm

Neither are a disaster. Stable Run/13th St/ISU is probably a little better course and less crowded. It has a couple great holes down the stretch, but relatively short.

Carroll Marty/Gateway Hills is a little tight and hilly on the front nine but opens up on the back nine with yet a couple more big hills. It's fun. The biggest drawback is that it's one of the busiest courses in the world on a nice day during the school year. If you started here in the morning it would probably work out well though.

Boone is an awesome course. It needs a little work. There's a new board by the first tee with a huge map of the course, and the lower holes finally got concrete tee pads. There are 3-4 spots that are tough to navigate and there are potentially 3 creek crossings there may not be a solution for. But with a little help and a willingness to get your feet wet, I'd highly recommend checking it out. I'll give you more detail if you end up doing this.

BTW, the Iowa Team Championship is gonna be at Big Creek that Saturday, however Sunday it should be wide open plus I'm working on having a glow round Sat night that you'd be welcome to play.
Clue

Postby periferalFinn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks for the tips! So we're slowly finalizing details for this trip. I also realized that I posted this in the DM DGC forum over the Ames so I apologize for that but don't see a move option. Hopefully since you guys are close enough I can just leave it here.

Tentative Schedule:
Friday - Todd Park in Austin, MN and either Forest City or Northwood
Saturday - Walnut Ridge, Stable Run and maybe Boone
Sunday - Carrol Marty and maybe Heritage

A few questions:
Have you guys played any combination of the Friday courses and if so, any recommendations?

We're nervous about Boone. Especially navigation & playability. I've seen huge differing opinions on the course varying from top 5 in Iowa to potentially unplayable. We're already a big group of 8 and a rough course is a little intimidating. We don't want to be looking for discs and falling into creeks unless it's epic :P

Is Heritage worth considering on Sunday? Or would we be better suited maybe hitting one of the Northern Iowa courses on our way back home?

We're going to be staying in Ames Friday/Saturday night. Any tips on some good eats, watering holes, clubs, etc?
periferalFinn

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Boone is probably not playable right now as it is probably fairly muddy to get around.

Playing Heritage is about as much fun as a root canal.

Just curious, why split the two ames course? I would play them on the same day and then maybe do Big Creek and Walnut on the same day.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 pm

periferalFinn wrote:Thanks for the tips! So we're slowly finalizing details for this trip. I also realized that I posted this in the DM DGC forum over the Ames so I apologize for that but don't see a move option. Hopefully since you guys are close enough I can just leave it here.

Tentative Schedule:

A few questions:
Have you guys played any combination of the Friday courses and if so, any recommendations?

We're nervous about Boone. Especially navigation & playability. I've seen huge differing opinions on the course varying from top 5 in Iowa to potentially unplayable. We're already a big group of 8 and a rough course is a little intimidating. We don't want to be looking for discs and falling into creeks unless it's epic :P

Is Heritage worth considering on Sunday? Or would we be better suited maybe hitting one of the Northern Iowa courses on our way back home?

We're going to be staying in Ames Friday/Saturday night. Any tips on some good eats, watering holes, clubs, etc?
forest city the 21 holer is a must play sik course never been to northwood but forest city is amazing
blkwizardsonny

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 pm

periferalFinn wrote:Thanks for the tips! So we're slowly finalizing details for this trip. I also realized that I posted this in the DM DGC forum over the Ames so I apologize for that but don't see a move option. Hopefully since you guys are close enough I can just leave it here.

Tentative Schedule:

A few questions:

boone is pretty epic its an adventure tho heritage like joe says is not worth playing with short ammount of time not very fun
blkwizardsonny

Postby The Donator » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Boone is amazing, you will def need a local or two to play it - do not try to play it by yourself. Its an absolutely amazing course but theres a few baskets missing and the terrain is a tad unjust. Heritage is a shithole, but if u really want to play it, PM discgolfduval
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby 10up » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 pm

heritage is the best course in Iowa by far.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Discgo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Walnut and Big Creek are must plays for sure
Chain-outs since last ace - 1
Discgo

Postby blkwizardsonny » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 pm

10up wrote:heritage is the best course in Iowa by far.
lol lmao sup danno
blkwizardsonny

Postby The Donator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 am

10up wrote:heritage is the best course in Iowa by far.

Dan did get a 2 once at Heritage....true story
The Donator

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 am

Dude, Boone is a must. All the tee pads are done now. There's only 1 basket missing, it's hole 8, but you can just play to the big tree all the way at the end of the tunnel, it will be fun just to navigate the tunnel, the putting is academic. Just make sure you have a course map, it's not that hard to get around and it shouldn't be that muddy considering we didn't get that much snow this year....

Also echo that Heritage ain't worth it. Definately stop and play Forest City.

If it were me, I'd do this:

Friday Austin Park, Forest City
Saturday Boone, Carol Marty, and/or maybe Stable Run (I definately prefer CM)
Sunday Walnut, Big Creek
GDL17921

Postby Single L » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 am

GDL17921 wrote:If it were me, I'd do this:

Friday: Austin Park, Forest City

Saturday: Boone (Bring an extra pair of shoes and socks for after the round just in case, don't want soggy feet the rest of the day if they happen to get wet), Carol Marty, and Stable Run (not much travel time on this day so playing all 3 is easy to fit in)

Sunday: Walnut, Big Creek

I concur with this ...... Amendments added
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby The Donator » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 am

You WILL get lost playing Boone, even with the overhead map. Not trying to detract you from playing there, it is amazing, but the fun would be lost trying to find each hole and basket. Just post on here and im sure someone would be willing to join you.
The Donator

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club