Katana or Vulcan

Reviews for Innova Golf discs and any other Innova products.

Postby The Donator » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 am

SARG27044 wrote:
The Donator wrote:
Steady 26542 wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:the pro katanas are way better for hyzer flipping, I thought the stars were quite a bit beefier.

I agree. The Star Kat I have is ok but again, I just wasn't consistent with it. Every once in a while I would get a drive that would be 50' or so longer but one time it would flip a bit and the next time it would hyzer out. I just never knew where it was going to end up. I suppose that means I suck. :lol:

I had the same problem with the star katanas...it would flip out half the time, other times it would blade-hyzer...and it was definately the arrow, not the archer.
Thats your opinion, the rest of us may disagree...

Lmao...umm no, thats really what happened when I threw it
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 am

Im not saying it didnt, Im saying I may disagree with you on it being the "arrow"
SARG27044

Postby The Donator » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 am

Possibly, but ive never thrown a disc with such inconsistent results...almost had to just guess what it would do each time
The Donator

Postby TreeLoveInman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:05 pm

The Donator wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:
The Donator wrote:
Steady 26542 wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:the pro katanas are way better for hyzer flipping, I thought the stars were quite a bit beefier.

I agree. The Star Kat I have is ok but again, I just wasn't consistent with it. Every once in a while I would get a drive that would be 50' or so longer but one time it would flip a bit and the next time it would hyzer out. I just never knew where it was going to end up. I suppose that means I suck. :lol:

I had the same problem with the star katanas...it would flip out half the time, other times it would blade-hyzer...and it was definately the arrow, not the archer.
Thats your opinion, the rest of us may disagree...

Lmao...umm no, thats really what happened when I threw it

.....It's the arrows. Them disc's are just waay to unpredictable. Like people say sometimes it flips and sometimes it doesnt...Thrown the same way. Junk.
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

So you guys all have perfect form, every time you throw, so it must be the disc? There is so much variance in every shot you take...A slight wind difference, a little extra snap than last time, gripping the disc a little softer or firmer, arm speed. I dont even think the 1040 rated pros will say they throw the exact same shot every time, its impossible. And having a stack of discs, even the same mold, throwing them on the same hole will give you different results.
SARG27044

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:39 pm

I use to say the same thing. "That disc is unpredictable". I then came to realize, my game is what is inconsistent.
SARG27044

Postby irban » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

SARG27044 wrote:So you guys all have perfect form, every time you throw, so it must be the disc? There is so much variance in every shot you take...A slight wind difference, a little extra snap than last time, gripping the disc a little softer or firmer, arm speed. I dont even think the 1040 rated pros will say they throw the exact same shot every time, its impossible. And having a stack of discs, even the same mold, throwing them on the same hole will give you different results.

I agree with this. It may be that the disc is less forgiving. I don't have a problem with the Katana per se, but there are other discs I found to be kind of touchy, the Valkeries that I tried for instance. I chalk it up to my inconsistent form. Some discs perform better across a wider range of throws. So you can say it is the disc, but underneath it all is the throw. Of course a disc that has too narrow of a tolerance is not good, but a lot of people like the Katana.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

TOUCHY disc = bad disc :?: :?:

LMAO

NO....saying a disc is touchy is just a way of not taking accountability for your inconsistencies, and lack of ability to read things that affect shots, like wind...Touchy means there's less margin for error in the way you throw. You guys that say you throw the same way every time - yeah you too Lindsley...are in denial! Take some accountability for the FACT that none of you on here are 1020+ golfers that can throw a disc 10 times the same way and make some kind of professional assessment of a disc.
GDL17921

Postby irban » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

What pisses me off more is the wide range of behavior among discs with the same mold and weight. Nothing worse than finding a great disc, and never being able to replace it. That might be what is going on with the Katana too.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Take a comparison to ball golf. People talk about clubs being forgiving - since they straighten out poorly hit balls by amateurs. So a less forgiving club is touchy because it doesn't correct your slice or duck hook? No, you just suck and a "touchy" club exposes that.
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm

irban wrote:What pisses me off more is the wide range of behavior among discs with the same mold and weight. Nothing worse than finding a great disc, and never being able to replace it. That might be what is going on with the Katana too.
Completely agree. Used to love a few red Tee Rex' that I had...Couldnt find a single one that flew that same way out of the box so I gave up on looking for one.
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:08 pm

^^and usually that's because of the way a certain run gets stamped. Can depend on the temperature that day, or whatever. Hotstamping can have drastic effects on the plastic a disc is produced with.
GDL17921

Postby The Donator » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 pm

SARG27044 wrote:
irban wrote:What pisses me off more is the wide range of behavior among discs with the same mold and weight. Nothing worse than finding a great disc, and never being able to replace it. That might be what is going on with the Katana too.
Completely agree. Used to love a few red Tee Rex' that I had...Couldnt find a single one that flew that same way out of the box so I gave up on looking for one.

So you made my argument for me. No surprise. Ive been playing longer than you and thrown 2x as many discs...not saying you dont know how to throw, but ive been around the block and know which discs are consistant and which are not...
The Donator

Postby IHearChains » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 pm

GDL17921 wrote:TOUCHY disc = bad disc :?: :?:

LMAO

NO....saying a disc is touchy is just a way of not taking accountability for your inconsistencies, and lack of ability to read things that affect shots, like wind...Touchy means there's less margin for error in the way you throw. You guys that say you throw the same way every time - yeah you too Lindsley...are in denial! Take some accountability for the FACT that none of you on here are 1020+ golfers that can throw a disc 10 times the same way and make some kind of professional assessment of a disc.

Totally agree -- touchy discs expose inconsistencies, in that respect it is kind of like playing West Lake. :D

I went OB 4 times out there today! Got all 4 back, that's gotta be a first.

As for Katanas, I throw the Pro and like it, especially fresh new ones. A number of my "best drive ever on this hole" shots came with that disc, but I agree it is hard to get the same release consistently, and it is very sensitive to headwind and rim damage or wear. After seeing what it is capable of, I'm going to keep working to try to get consistency with it.
IHearChains

Postby irban » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:42 pm

What matters is whether the good of the disc outweighs the bad. If you have consistent form and get good results, obviously throw it. If you have inconsistent form but might get good results on average, you have to choose.

Another factor going on here is that some discs are AM friendly and some are not. Often the discs that take more skill or power to throw, have better potential. I don't think the Katana is in that boat though. More like if you have less power it is more forgiving I think.
~~~- ¥
irban

PreviousNext

Return to Innova