Postby 10up » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:00 pm

yeah. JUst hdmi from pc to tv.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:21 am

so much for Fedor in the UFC or anywhere for that matter :o
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:52 am

I've always thought that Fedor was overrated. I was reading about Fedor after the fight and everybody was like...he is/was possibly the greatest fighter ever and blah, blah, blah about his winning streak. Well, in looking up his fights from 2000 till current day, the caliber of fights in that streak aren't all that. Yes there were some good one's, but there were also a lot of mediocre fighters in that list.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby LOOTOWNDISKR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Yea he looks mediocre now if you ask me, I think his handlers made a costly mistake not bringing him into the UFC in his prime. Now just like any other fighter he will have to earn a chance.
LOOTOWNDISKR

Postby Like_Water » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:I've always thought that Fedor was overrated. I was reading about Fedor after the fight and everybody was like...he is/was possibly the greatest fighter ever and blah, blah, blah about his winning streak. Well, in looking up his fights from 2000 till current day, the caliber of fights in that streak aren't all that. Yes there were some good one's, but there were also a lot of mediocre fighters in that list.

That being said, going 32-0 as an undersized HW is nothing short of better than anyone else ever.

I'll agree he might have some MJordan syndrome where the league is weak when you were hot. I doubt we'll see anyone do that again at that level.

Arlovski should retire, and hopefully not by his third game of Russian Roulette.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 pm

If the spider was a little younger, I think he could have made a run like Fedor did...but given his age, his streak will likely end here soon. As for undersized HW...he really wasn't at the time. It is only in the past 12-18 months that the bigger sized HW's(Lesnar, Cain, Carwin, Bigfoot, Overeem) have started to show up on the scene.
SpikeHyzer

Postby 10up » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 pm

There have ALWAYS been big fighters. They've always been sort of a novelty. I think Silva is too big to really ever be that dominant. It is a bummer to see Fedor go out like this though. I don't care what anybody says about "caliber of competition" or anything like that. To win as long and often as he did isn't a small feat and I agree in thinking it won't ever be matched.

He's gonna retire. Kinda blows but he is pretty old.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby OU812_LukeS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:03 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:I've always thought that Fedor was overrated. I was reading about Fedor after the fight and everybody was like...he is/was possibly the greatest fighter ever and blah, blah, blah about his winning streak. Well, in looking up his fights from 2000 till current day, the caliber of fights in that streak aren't all that. Yes there were some good one's, but there were also a lot of mediocre fighters in that list.

Those mediocre fighters you're referring to were in their prime when Fedor ate their souls. Cro Cop, Nogueira, Randleman...these might not be household UFC names anymore but at the time they were the best in the world. "Greatest fighter ever" is probably not a title worth awarding anyone because it's so subjective, but just for humor's sake try to evaluate any other current fighter - in any division - by some of the same criteria people judge Fedor with. Try to picture Frankie Edgar fighting guys the size of Nate Marquardt or Chris Leben...and winning...thirty-two times.

It was inevitable that someone would eventually put physics in their favor and pound him out. The heavyweight game has passed him by, let's just hope he retires.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby tufluk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Before he ends up like Ali.
tufluk

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:30 am

OU812_LukeS wrote:Those mediocre fighters you're referring to were in their prime when Fedor ate their souls. Cro Cop, Nogueira, Randleman...these might not be household UFC names anymore but at the time they were the best in the world.

You mention three fighters that I would agree were in their prime when Fedor fought them(Cro Cop during his prime might have had the most devastating kick ability of any HW in mma). When I look at his 35 fights, I see maybe 10 of those fighters as being at a minimum what I would consider to be a good fighter or at least above average.

Could somebody do that in this decade? Probably not. Mainly because of all the non-fight variables that come into play(ie. medical suspensions, contracts, etc). If you put that aside, I think that a fighter could do it if they could hop from one promotion to another.
SpikeHyzer

Postby OU812_LukeS » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:
OU812_LukeS wrote:Those mediocre fighters you're referring to were in their prime when Fedor ate their souls. Cro Cop, Nogueira, Randleman...these might not be household UFC names anymore but at the time they were the best in the world.

You mention three fighters that I would agree were in their prime when Fedor fought them(Cro Cop during his prime might have had the most devastating kick ability of any HW in mma). When I look at his 35 fights, I see maybe 10 of those fighters as being at a minimum what I would consider to be a good fighter or at least above average.

Could somebody do that in this decade? Probably not. Mainly because of all the non-fight variables that come into play(ie. medical suspensions, contracts, etc). If you put that aside, I think that a fighter could do it if they could hop from one promotion to another.

Outside those ten (10) you consider above average, I agree with you that many of Fedor's opponents haven't had great careers. Every great fighters' record ends up padded with a bunch of hindsight mismatches. What never ceases to amaze me about Fedor's career is how dynamic it has been, fighting bigger guys in nearly every style and ending fights in such a variety of interesting ways, whether he dominated from the outset or came from behind to win. Nothing really to compare it to.
OU812_LukeS

Postby Like_Water » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:01 am

Only 2 decisions for the whole Strikeforce card last night.

and Hendo still has dynamite in that right hand.

Like_Water

Postby SpikeHyzer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 am

Jon Jones was a beast in that fight. Completely ridiculous.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Like_Water » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:13 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:Jon Jones was a beast in that fight. Completely ridiculous.

He will never lose.

Eric Koch (Cedar Rapids) with KO of the night.

Barboza/Njkouani was a great scrap.
Like_Water

Postby OU812_LukeS » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:Jon Jones was a beast in that fight. Completely ridiculous.

He will never lose.

Eric Koch (Cedar Rapids) with KO of the night.

Barboza/Njkouani was a great scrap.

Rua-Jones wasn't much of a fight. That liver punch was sick.

I do recall Jones outclassing Bonnar for a round or two and then back-pedaling for the duration of round 3. Too bad Bonnar is maybe four wins out of contention, a tough brawler with lungs could give Jones an interesting fight.

I'm predicting a double knock-out for this weekend for Hardy vs. Johnson.
OU812_LukeS

PreviousNext

Return to Sports