Lead foot rotation

Learn to throw from local experts.

Lead foot rotation

Postby anubis080 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:30 am

I have a feeling I could be robbing my distance after seeing a lot of videos of pros. I rotate on my toes, not on my heel. I believe that rotating on the heel could open up the hips a lot faster and get that extra torque on the throw. Anyone care to shed some light on this?
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:23 pm

short answer...i don't know.

i do know that i start rotating on my toes and finish on my heel.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 pm

I've been trying to work on not rotating on my toes and more on the outside edge of my foot. Some pro gave me that advice.
GDL17921

Postby z-man » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:41 am

Work on spinning with your heel for shots needing more power...You'll generate the sling-shot effect far more effectively...For shots requiring less power, I don't think you necessarily need to rotate on your heel, at least I don't...

It'll probably save your knees in the long run too...If you plant too heavily on your toes and are robbing yourself of distance as you say, you may be straining your knee each time you throw as your not rotating cleaning and stressing those tendons past their breaking points...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby anubis080 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 am

z-man wrote:Work on spinning with your heel for shots needing more power...You'll generate the sling-shot effect far more effectively...For shots requiring less power, I don't think you necessarily need to rotate on your heel, at least I don't...

It'll probably save your knees in the long run too...If you plant too heavily on your toes and are robbing yourself of distance as you say, you may be straining your knee each time you throw as your not rotating cleaning and stressing those tendons past their breaking points...

I think you just nailed why my knee aches lol. Rotating on the ball of the foot, like you said, seems like it would generate a lot more power on those big throws, but wouldn't really matter for anything else, maybe just form. For now, I will stick with my arm placement, as MDR told me.
anubis080

Postby z-man » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:15 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:i do know that i start rotating on my toes and finish on my heel.

This is the way it works for me as well...

at first you may have to consciously focus on shifting weight to your heel once you hit the snap, maybe in a field somewhere...Before long you will notice your doing it automatically and your hitting your lines with more regularity...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Schirm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:57 pm

I drilled this in a field today with positive results.

I focused on rotating on my heel and it pretty much did everything that z-man said it would. My swing felt better and smoother through the finish. I hit my line almost spot on every shot, which has been quite an issue for me since I started playing. Lastly, I added probalby 20-30 feet of distance without having to exert any more than my normal effort.

I sure love breakthroughs :D
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Pig, Buzzz, Cobra, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby Schirm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Found a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKHrPzF ... re=related

Looking at shots starting at 4:10

Kallstrom, Nikko, and Feldberg all seem to have their weight rotating on their heel or outside of their foot like GDL explained. However, Cale's weight seemed to be more centered or on the ball of his foot.

All four of them, however, finished with their lead food pointing forward, thus allowing their hips to open at release.

Looks like Chubs was right...."Its all in the hiiiiiips."
Schirm

Postby anubis080 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks for the examples, Schirm. I want to try this out on the tee's one of these days and see if it does anything for me. :)
anubis080

Postby irban » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:39 am

Do you do this in the fairway too, or only on teepads? I'm going to try this out today.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby z-man » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 pm

irban wrote:Do you do this in the fairway too, or only on teepads? I'm going to try this out today.

If your in the fairway and still need to generate enough torque that this becomes an issue (like coming up 18 at Pickard for instance) then sure...rotate away
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Schirm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

For me, so far, I've been trying to do it all the time. In the fareway, however, its a little different because my shoes still have almost new tread which makes it harder to rotate my foot on the ground.
Schirm

Postby Elevated » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Rotate on your heel.....It greatly speeds up how fast your body torques around. I usually don't throw backhand but I've seen a few people switch from toe rotation to heel rotation and it helps. It's also less straining on your right leg.
Elevated

Postby anubis080 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 am

it just seems so foreign now! I'm hoping I can get the transfer down one of these days. One thing at a time :P
anubis080

Postby The Donator » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:31 am

I tried to notice this when I was throwing, and im pretty sure i throw 100% off of my toes (with a two finger grip)...maybe thats why I cant break the 1000 mark :roll:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Next

Return to Throwing Technique