Iowa Wrestling

Sports related topics.

Postby bergdawg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm

smalls51691 wrote:it made sportcenter last night as well. I have had to wrestle girls in the 15 years i wrestled but none in high school. they just cant match up physicly to nearly any guys in the sport. and how do you qualify for the state tournament with a 20 and 13 record?

She's better than 2/3's of the guys she wrestles, I'd say she matches up pretty well.
"I'm so tough I wipe my ass with sandpaper."
bergdawg

Postby Cydisc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:58 pm

smalls51691 wrote:it made sportcenter last night as well. I have had to wrestle girls in the 15 years i wrestled but none in high school. they just cant match up physicly to nearly any guys in the sport. and how do you qualify for the state tournament with a 20 and 13 record?

Question: Do forfeits and defaults count as wins in the regular season? I wonder how many she had?
Cydisc

Postby tufluk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Yes, defaults and forfeits count as wins. That is how she became the first girl to "Win?" a match in an Iowa tournament. What a farce! Both girls were 0-2 in matches where they actually wrestled. :oops:
She really can't be blamed for her attitude. The Hawkeyes always schedule girls schools to play their men's basketball team prior to the big 10 opener. :oops:
If girls are wrasslin' it should be in pudding. :lol:
"SHE'S a better man than I am Gunga Din." Kipling
tufluk

Postby Cydisc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:29 pm

tufluk wrote:Yes, defaults and forfeits count as wins. That is how she became the first girl to "Win?" a match in an Iowa tournament. What a farce! Both girls were 0-2 in matches where they actually

I'm talking about the regular season. How did she get 20 wins? She had to beat somebody to get to state in the first place.
Cydisc

Postby The Donator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Cydisc wrote:
tufluk wrote:Yes, defaults and forfeits count as wins. That is how she became the first girl to "Win?" a match in an Iowa tournament. What a farce! Both girls were 0-2 in matches where they actually

I'm talking about the regular season. How did she get 20 wins? She had to beat somebody to get to state in the first place.

Good question. Ill take a stab and say 19/20 wins were out of guilt/laughing/nerds who cant fill out their leotards...someone should have given her a basketball and made her do layups instead
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby smalls51691 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 pm

joel (kid who defaulted to her) lost his third match. (second he wrestled) and will not place. yes all forfeits and defaults count towards records. A lot of 103 lb kids benifit from this on their record. Every time i was at districts it always seemed like their were two ranked kids and there needed to be a "upset" to make it. they way me and my coach worked it my senior year was we never would send my name in for rankings thus staying off the radar from ppl around the state that i didnt wrestle. I wrestled 6 matches at state my senior year. everyone of them was against a ranked kid.
smalls51691

Postby Dale Jordal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:33 pm

smalls51691 wrote:................. yes all forfeits and defaults count towards records.............

Your right but those only happen in team meets ( dual or triangulars ). People have to remember that the "byes" at weekend tournaments are not the same as forfeit or default, and those do not count. I would have to think she got most of her wins on the mat and maybe one or two (three at the most) came from a forfeit. I have never seen a HS girl wrestle well, I think most of the time they are there to fill a spot the team would have to forfeit. However in youth AAU wrestliing I've seen several younger girls go to town on the less mature boys in there age group. I'm sure a number of 8 & 9 year boys dropped out of wrestling due to a girl beating them. That hard to cope with.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby smalls51691 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:08 am

i have seen a girl who placed top 3 at aau state maybe 3 years in a row then hurt her shoulder and never wrestled again. If you watched the olympics or olympic trials the women are amazing wrestlers but just lack the brute strength that men have, there body type also alows them to wrestle low weights due to less muscle, so they look bigger then the kids they wrestle.
smalls51691

Postby blkwizardsonny » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:11 am

i wrestle girls all the time i love it yesssssssssssssssssssss
blkwizardsonny

Postby Cydisc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:24 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:i wrestle girls all the time i love it yesssssssssssssssssssss

and they all look so much bigger than you.
Cydisc

Postby smalls51691 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:24 pm

kothe gets called for a slam in the semis and DQ'd for second straight year. made it his 3rd loss this season all for illegal slams. no punishment?
smalls51691

Slams?

Postby tufluk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Slams should be legal. What is this, Knitting?
tufluk

Postby Cydisc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:38 am

You should also be able to use a folding chair on your opponent.
Cydisc

Postby smalls51691 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:24 am

just so u know. he dislocated the kids shoulder today. he has had this happen numerous times in high school. he has more losses on his record for him doing illegal moves then losses to other kids. i still think that all wrestling should be freestyle and greco roman. one reason that we dont win more olympic medals is that we are raised to wrestle folkstyle and choose to wrestle f/gr. if thats what we learned first then it work out so that you can "slam" people without getting in trouble for it.
smalls51691

Postby Dale Jordal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 am

In all the matches I've seen I would say "slams" are one area that the officials don't seem to error on the side of cautions. It typically takes what appears to be a intentionally mallish slam before it would be called. Every year several wrestlers get broken bones that end their season. The dislocations also seem to start a pattern of problems as by the end of the season all you have to do is look at a shoulder and it pops out.

This is why I have a great respect for anyone who wrestled. It is a tuff sport physically and mentally. I don’t know of a sport that takes more dedication and work 24/7 (for years)…. It is dedication and more work than most kids don't want to take on or stick with.

However the hardest thing about this sport in my opinion is: Every single point scored in their match is a judgment call by an official. Any other sport there is some type of goal that a ball goes thru or an action happens that is a clear cut score or points are awarded. Not so in wrestling. Over the years I seen thousands of points that were not given or are given based on control or out of bounds…. the line between having or not control and supporting points in or out of bounds is very gray and wide. In one match I seen a wrestler escape probably 15 times on the edge of the mat and he lost 1-0… now in my mind at least four or five times he had the escape…. Anyway he never gave up and never complained went full speed to the end, but that match at districts ended his high school wrestling he took 3rd the other kid took 2nd top two go on. Rough life lesson early on… and it happens all the time to these guy only a few get to end their career with a win, as it is set up most lose and many by a single takedown or escape and many of these were “close calls “ that could have went either way …. This sport build a lot of character, again I have respect for any wrestler who stuck with it.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

PreviousNext

Return to Sports