Just had a moment of clarity

Learn to throw from local experts.

Just had a moment of clarity

Postby anubis080 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Let me know if anyone else can elaborate on this:

I found that I can forehand longer than I can backhand for starters. I have much more snap on the disc with forehand and I think I found out why: I keep my wrist completely loose until the release point.

I can literally 1 step a forehand farther than I can throw a backhand at full power.

Whenever I throw backhand I tend to bear down on the disc much sooner than my forehand throws.

For you big backhand throwers, could you shed some wisdom?
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
User avatar
anubis080
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Davenport, IA

Postby robizm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:19 am

I am exactly the same way, hitting around 250 foot forehand (sidearm) without taking any steps and I can throw near 400' with a run up.


I believe it has to do with your body being alot more open and facing the direction you are throwing upon release. I can get a really solid snap of the disc throwing forehand.


When I backhand I can 'feel' the power lost in my run up which is about 4-5 steps. It's like all the power generated in my backswing is lost by the time my steps finish and my arm comes forward in my backhand throw.


What do you throw for sidearm (forehand) and what do you throw for backhand? The discs I use to throw forehand I cannot use at all for backhand and vice versa...
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
User avatar
robizm
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby anubis080 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 am

robizm wrote:I am exactly the same way, hitting around 250 foot forehand (sidearm) without taking any steps and I can throw near 400' with a run up.


I believe it has to do with your body being alot more open and facing the direction you are throwing upon release. I can get a really solid snap of the disc throwing forehand.


When I backhand I can 'feel' the power lost in my run up which is about 4-5 steps. It's like all the power generated in my backswing is lost by the time my steps finish and my arm comes forward in my backhand throw.


What do you throw for sidearm (forehand) and what do you throw for backhand? The discs I use to throw forehand I cannot use at all for backhand and vice versa...


I use Bosses for almost all of my forehand drives, Drones for shorter forehand. Bosses are max weight Champs and 1 starlite which is uberbeef!

Backhand I am liking lighter Halo's.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
User avatar
anubis080
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Davenport, IA

Postby Clue » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 am

robizm wrote:When I backhand I can 'feel' the power lost in my run up which is about 4-5 steps.

This is far and away the number one thing I try to teach. I believe that MOST players are terrible with keeping their balance and recognizing their mistakes.

There are two reasons you are losing power in your approach. One is because you are going faster at the beginning of your approach and decelerating as you start to plant and pivot which essentially means your first two steps were a complete waste. The 2nd reason is because you started too fast, you don't give yourself enough time to get a full reach back before you start forward again. After you plant and reach back, your hips are starting forward before you completed your reach back, thus your arm is coming through without any lower body power.

Anyone know why Freburg gets more out of one step than most of you do with big run-ups?
Clue
 
Posts: 4398
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby hyzerman16234 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 am

I had that moment about 14 years ago when the drivers started to get faster. The JLS and then the Valkyrie were my first forehand drivers. Now it's the Boss and I plan to try the Vulcan this weekend. I would like to go back to more backhand driving though, but the power isn't there. I left hand backhand and right hand forehand so it's easier to stand there and forehand. It can be an advantage in the snow.
hyzerman16234
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:25 am
Location: Probably at Wildcat Bluff

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 am

Clue wrote:Anyone know why Freburg gets more out of one step than most of you do with big run-ups?


Because he is accelerating through the "hit"?!
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
User avatar
SpikeHyzer
 
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Postby The Donator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:
Clue wrote:Anyone know why Freburg gets more out of one step than most of you do with big run-ups?


Because he is accelerating through the "hit"?!

Camilo Villegas-esque "swing"
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby anubis080 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 am

I believe my backhand form is very congruent with freburg's. I never go fast on the pad, just a brisk walk. Been doing it that way for a couple years now.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
User avatar
anubis080
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Davenport, IA

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:
Clue wrote:Anyone know why Freburg gets more out of one step than most of you do with big run-ups?


Because he is accelerating through the "hit"?!
He cheats :lol:
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6722
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:01 am

i couldnt flick to save my life, but i can throw backhand with very little to no run up, with great distance. i believe this is a direct result of playing baseball my entire youth and my dad teaching me to hit switch.

for backhand its all about power distribution and rotation of your core. its not your arms, its your shift in momentum from your hips, and roration of the disc

now if i could only putt........
User avatar
Abe Froman
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:42 am
Location: legion park is my backyard

Postby anubis080 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 am

Abe Froman wrote:i couldnt flick to save my life, but i can throw backhand with very little to no run up, with great distance. i believe this is a direct result of playing baseball my entire youth and my dad teaching me to hit switch.

for backhand its all about power distribution and rotation of your core. its not your arms, its your shift in momentum from your hips, and roration of the disc

now if i could only putt........


I would have thought baseball would make your forehand better lol. I do agree that weight shift is huge, in discus we called it "loading up". Process of shifting all your load from back leg to front.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
User avatar
anubis080
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:40 am
Location: Davenport, IA

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:26 am

im not a pro or claim to know everything, but i can throw far with ease. when i see others that struggle with this it seems like they are trying to use their arms way too much. for me it's releasing power from my core and holding a tight grip. now get cracking on some crunches and tighten up that mid section
User avatar
Abe Froman
 
Posts: 3242
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:42 am
Location: legion park is my backyard

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am

Abe Froman wrote:im not a pro or claim to know everything, but i can throw far with ease. when i see others that struggle with this it seems like they are trying to use their arms way too much. for me it's releasing power from my core and holding a tight grip. now get cracking on some crunches and tighten up that mid section
Thats my problem. I use all arm and dont use enough of my weight and forward motion. Thats why I dont throw over 400. Ive tried to switch things up a bit, in the feild just meesing around, But I always seem to lose any accuracy I had. And I find it really difficult to play a tourny with a diff style ive been practicing. I feel like Ill just throw any chance I had of cashing out the window.
SARG27044
 
Posts: 6722
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: D.M.

Postby The Donator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:06 pm

I hope I someday have a moment of clarity by using the powergrip.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
User avatar
The Donator
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: West Des Moines, IA

Postby irban » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Batting is the closest analog to a backhand throw I've ever been able to think of. I often use batting as an example of throwing dynamics, stay centered, hips first, follow through, etc.
~~~- ¥
User avatar
irban
 
Posts: 5231
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am
Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Next

Return to Throwing Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest