Vandalism

Vandalism

Postby tretalan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but some people ran over the basket on #16. Its almost bent over about 45° 6 inches from the ground. If someone was so inclined you may be able to replace the pole.
tretalan

Postby The Donator » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:14 am

Ridiculous.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby hyzerman16234 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Must have missed the corner into the park there. Can the pipe be heated and straightened? I have a torch kit that can do the job. It would need to be pulled though.
hyzerman16234

Re: Vandalism

Postby medicinal funk » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 pm

tretalan wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but some people ran over the basket on #16. Its almost bent over about 45° 6 inches from the ground. If someone was so inclined you may be able to replace the pole.

chains on 4 get fixed, whole basket on 16 gets wrecked. one step forward, two steps back. what the Chuck
medicinal funk

Postby KVN » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Jones is jealous of Shaver and wants more attn? IM going over to have a look.
KVN

Postby Dale Jordal » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:04 am

That pole is most likely is galvanized, I would discourage heating it up with a torch… those fumes coming off the pipe would not good for you.

A couple years ago I went to our local hardware store and was able to buy the exact pipe/pole ( minus the holes & I should have had them drill those as well). Anyway the store cut the pipe to length and the price was very reasonable …. I would think this may be your best option.

Note: Even after getting several new diamond tipped drill bits for my drill press that pipe was very tough to drill….if the store will drill the holes too, pay the extra ( it has to be less than I paid for the drill bits ).

I even bought another pole after that ( a short version we used for our hanging basket ). That pole I took to a machensist to put the holes in.
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Captain » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:33 am

Dale Jordal wrote:.... able to buy the exact pipe/pole ( minus the holes & I should have had them drill those as well). Anyway the store cut the pipe to length and the price was very reasonable …. I would think this may be your best option.

I agree totally. You'll never get the kink out of that pipe anyway. SInce these are old baskets, you prob need 2" OD pipe with 1/8" wall thickness (galvanized).

I've used cobalt tipped bits in the past and have had no problem.
Captain

Postby hyzerman16234 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:50 am

Captain wrote:
Dale Jordal wrote:.... able to buy the exact pipe/pole ( minus the holes & I should have had them drill those as well). Anyway the store cut the pipe to length and the price was very reasonable …. I would think this may be your best option.

I agree totally. You'll never get the kink out of that pipe anyway. SInce these are old baskets, you prob need 2" OD pipe with 1/8" wall thickness (galvanized).

I've used cobalt tipped bits in the past and have had no problem.

The baskets at jones are welded together. It might be a problem getting them apart. Another option if the pipe isn't kinked or cracked would be a pipe bender/straightener. It would possibly still need some heat.
hyzerman16234

Postby Cydisc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Depending on where the bend is, and if you can't get the basket assemblies off, maybe you cut it just above the bend and have a straight section of pipe welded on with a sleeve over the joint..
Cydisc

Postby KVN » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 am

I pulled the bskt out ,the pole was cracked at the base and broke off with a twist. The collar is bent and leaning in a bad way,it needs alot of work. Both need replacing! The tray and top were untouched and in great shape, but the little tree got scraped up a bit. A small car slid through the turn and hit just below the tray,the tracks in the snow left a picture of panic and chaos! Not vandals just idiots! Hyzerman want to help? pm me your #
KVN

Postby Detra319 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks KVN let us know if you need an help from the non welding public
Detra319

Postby Captain » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:04 am

KVN wrote:The collar is bent and leaning in a bad way,it needs alot of work. Both need replacing!

ICDGL has plenty of collars. Happy to get you guys one.

I liked Cydisc's idea about cutting the pipe and adding a new section with some kind of coupler. Prob the cheapest too. But I do think that a whole new pole is only about $40 and less work.
Captain

Postby geoffreylaw » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 am

I can donate to the cause, KVN.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby The Donator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 am

KVN wrote:A small car slid through the turn and hit just below the tray,the tracks in the snow left a picture of panic and chaos! Not vandals just idiots!

Thats good to hear. Must have been that mall lady/fountain diver driving, its just a straight shot to the parking lot there...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:23 am

The Donator wrote:
KVN wrote:A small car slid through the turn and hit just below the tray,the tracks in the snow left a picture of panic and chaos! Not vandals just idiots!

Thats good to hear. Must have been that mall lady/fountain diver driving, its just a straight shot to the parking lot there...

well we know it wasn't lindsley, he hasnt had a license since the clinton administration :lol:
Abe Froman

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids - Jones Park