R.I.P. - Mac Rae Park Proposed DG Course

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

R.I.P. - Mac Rae Park Proposed DG Course

Postby Single L » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:54 am

GDL17921 wrote:MacRae is history. The Parks Board is on a real nature preserve kick now, and apparently there is some real significant nature preserves all throughout MacRae park including some projects yet to be completed that a disc golf course would be intrusive to, so ultimatley we got shot down.

I wanted to take a minute to thank those that have put a lot of time into putting together a design, dealing with biologists, neighborhood associations, park planners, park board members, etc.

Shane Stewart put in countless hours with Eddie McCulley in putting together an initial design and has been the main contact for the club with regards to the powers that be. Also would like to thank Corey Philips for working on integrating Shane's design with some different ideas, providing some excellent maps, working with the biologist on the areas we thought we would be able to use. Make sure and thank Shane and Corey for all the work that they did on this project.

There was some good news that came out of this though. The Parks board feels bad that they took so long to get us a ruling, and has expressed that they are more than willing to help and work with us on another project in the near future!

We have a couple options we'll be investigating per their suggestions. Ewing east (other side of Indianola), Ewing west, (woods on the other side of holes 11 and 12), and some city land that is down by Franklin Soccer Complex.

We have some new faces on the DSM club board, and over these next few winter months we'll be setting some new goals for the club and investigating the possibilities of these. Stay tuned!
Single L

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:34 am

Im really interested in walking through both of the Ewing "possible "additions. Just from driving by and looking, I really like the west side. A lot of possible elevation, and heavily wooded. Ive never been to the east side but would like to check if anyone wants to go out sometime. I dont know what is over there besides the woods. I do like the pond tho... :wink: If thats a possibility to get it incorporated somehow.
SARG27044

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 pm

With the wreckage coming for Ewing, exploring another course and having all the work in one location would seem to make things slightly easier/more efficient.

Since going to Emporia and playing Jones East & West, it seems like a great idea to have 2 courses in one park. Just my opinion.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Discwrangler wrote:With the wreckage coming for Ewing, exploring another course and having all the work in one location would seem to make things slightly easier/more efficient.

Since going to Emporia and playing Jones East & West, it seems like a great idea to have 2 courses in one park. Just my opinion.
The construction wont start until 2012. And even then they said they will try to get started around Sept. This way it wont give us problems for the Challenge and DM open. Which is very nice of them if it happens that way. I too would like to be able to enjoy 2 diff courses without having to drive 15 plus min to the next one. A Ewing 2 seems to be the best option as the other location does have flooding issues
SARG27044

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Yeah, just thinking with the construction and inevitable redesign in sight we could have a decent amount of resources all in one place.
Like_Water

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:51 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Yeah, just thinking with the construction and inevitable redesign in sight we could have a decent amount of resources all in one place.
Agreed. There are many possibilities we will have with 2 courses so close. If another 18 doesnt seem possible, we could always have a major redesign and make it a great 27 hole course... Endless possibilities gets my fin popping... :lol:
SARG27044

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:02 pm

I don't think it's too far out of the question that we get what we want at Ewing, and use the land they're offering and ultimately get two new phat courses. It's not going to happen overnight, but the sky is the limit now, the park's department is wanting to work with us. I thinkt they feel a little bad about all the "wasted" work we did on MacRae. At least that's the word on the street.

The one problem with Ewing 2 East (across Indianola Road) is that area is a Boy Scout Camp. There's a tremendous amount of Boy Scout stuff over there throughout the woods apparently. Shane checked it out. Obviously they're not there all the time, so we'll have to do our homework on that and see what's really available.

The Ewing West option would allow for use of the other Ewing parking lot (below the hill off McKinley) and with redesign issues coming up we maybe could use a little of the front 9 area to create 2 loops. I think there is sick potential for some holes like we've been wanting across the soap box derby track over in those woods across the creek.

Having started playing disc golf at a park that has two courses, and like Tanner said, seeing the tournament scene in such a park like Jones in Emporia, or Albert Oakland in Columbia, this is something that we've all wanted for a long time.
GDL17921

Postby chez29009 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Ive always thought the woods at Ewing (west) would be a sick course. There is a lot of land back there (done a lot of hiking back there with the dogs). We NEED a wooded course.

Thanks again Shane, Eddie, Sarg, Corey, and everyone else who were working on getting the MacCrae park going. Bummer it didnt work out, but the possibility of expanding Ewing seems to be a blessing in disguise.
chez29009

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Discwrangler wrote:With the wreckage coming for Ewing,.

?? wreckage. wtf is goin on there?
Abe Froman

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Abe Froman wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:With the wreckage coming for Ewing,.

?? wreckage. wtf is goin on there?

He was referring to the widening of Indianola road, a several year project that will affect holes 1, 2, 3, 17, and 18 when they get to that phase of the construction in 2012.
GDL17921

Postby Clue » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:47 pm

And a bike path on the other side of those same holes.
Clue

Postby irban » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:36 pm

The first temp course at Ewing was mainly on the north side of McKinley, including a shot across that creek. Then about 5 holes on the north side of the soapbox derby course, and about 4 holes on the east side of Indianola, north of the creek. There is kind of a tree farm type of area over there, and I don't know what else but that whole east side should be checked out, not just the section across from hole 1. I don't know if there is a bridge back there across the creek, but that would be a sweet piece of water, it's always flowing I think.
Of course it doesn't make sense to have one course jump from one side to the other of such a busy road, unless they spring for a cool bridge or tunnel. :wink: But I think one course on each side is ok.
Otherwise, as everyone has said, there is a lot of area through the woods behind hole 11 and 12 and open area south and southwest. And a bunch of area to the north of the soapbox track, that looks a lot like the side of the hill at McCrae. In other words, careful consideration will make for a lot of good opportunity. Maybe we should bring in a consultant from Texas. (to referee the 20 local course designers we're bound to have)
To be honest, I think whoever designs it should bring their ideas in front of a committee of club members or whatever, and present them. Including the logic behind all decisions. The days of random course design should be long past, but there are still some stupid holes out there. Seems like too many people don't get a holistic picture of the course, and once they settle on one set of holes, they don't want to redo it if they get into a corner. Good opportunity for Des Moines to keep up with the state of the art.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:48 pm

irban wrote:Careful consideration will make for a lot of good opportunity. Maybe we should bring in a consultant (to referee the 20 local course designers we're bound to have).

To be honest, I think whoever designs it should bring their ideas in front of a committee of club members or whatever, and present them. Including the logic behind all decisions. The days of random course design should be long past, but there are still some stupid holes out there. Seems like too many people don't get a holistic picture of the course, and once they settle on one set of holes, they don't want to redo it if they get into a corner. Good opportunity for Des Moines to keep up with the state of the art.

QFT ........ as far as course design goes you get what you pay for
Single L

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Big thanks to Corey, shane and everyone else that put forth efforts to get the McRae course in the ground. Many hours spent I'm sure with not much to show for. I know personally how difficult it is and all the time waiting while dealing with the city and homeowner organizations.

This is very exciting news about Ewing. Optimism hasn't gotten us very far before but it sounds like the city is feeling sympathetic which is a start. Probably not a time that goes by where I don't think it'd be sick to put a basket over there when at Ewing Park.

GDL17921 wrote:The one problem with Ewing 2 East (across Indianola Road) is that area is a Boy Scout Camp. There's a tremendous amount of Boy Scout stuff over there throughout the woods apparently.

Maybe jumping the gun a bit but this could be to our advantage. Wasn't there boy scouts that put in work at McHose in Boone for projects? We could develop a good relationship here and get that place looking like Blue Ribbon Pines.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Buzzznation wrote:
GDL17921 wrote:The one problem with Ewing 2 East (across Indianola Road) is that area is a Boy Scout Camp. There's a tremendous amount of Boy Scout stuff over there throughout the woods apparently.

Maybe jumping the gun a bit but this could be to our advantage. Wasn't there boy scouts that put in work at McHose in Boone for projects? We could develop a good relationship here and get that place looking like Blue Ribbon Pines.

Exactly what I thought :)

The girl is working on getting a sewing machine, I can have merit badges up the ying yang!
Like_Water

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club