New Pin Locations

New Pin Locations

Postby Detra319 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm loving it so far. New placement for 16 gives the feeling of a real par 4, with a premium on staying on the right side of the fairway, and then the low ceiling into the pin works well also.

Hole 18's new spot I am not such a big fan of. Its better than it was, because before it was a shitty tweener. Sucked if you 4'd, didn't feel like you accomplished anything with a 3. Now the 3 feels a bit better, but its still kinda feels like the same hole, you just don't get punished as much if you shoot hard at the pin.

Any other holes that were going to be moved? 10 could be turned into a dogleg hyzer shot that would save some of the distance on the walk, and it would definitely be better than the pointless shot that exists there now. Anyways, I will leave that can of worms alone. Good job changing stuff up, you make me want to bust the bag out again and throw some more.
Detra319

Postby AO » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 pm

I like the changes. I think if 18 has a back door route to it too it will be a pretty sweet hole. Maybe play down to the old spot from a few years ago and then have a 2nd fairway to the basket. Hopefully this course will get a nice make over. I also think 13-14 would be sweet. Gotta try and keep up with QC and DSM since the city gives us no other land and won't allow any kind of change. Also, thanks to whoever put out the trash cans and has been empying them.
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:26 pm

I love 18 now. It is a hard 3, before it was just 3333333 all the time, Now you have to earn your 3. Your going to see a lot more score separation than before. 16 is a true par 4. It has great reward for a well thrown shot. You should see great score separation here, too.
frogawitdafizzle

Re: New Pin Locations

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Detra319 wrote:I'm loving it so far. New placement for 16 gives the feeling of a real par 4, with a premium on staying on the right side of the fairway, and then the low ceiling into the pin works well also.

Hole 18's new spot I am not such a big fan of. Its better than it was, because before it was a shitty tweener. Sucked if you 4'd, didn't feel like you accomplished anything with a 3. Now the 3 feels a bit better, but its still kinda feels like the same hole, you just don't get punished as much if you shoot hard at the pin.

Any other holes that were going to be moved? 10 could be turned into a dogleg hyzer shot that would save some of the distance on the walk, and it would definitely be better than the pointless shot that exists there now. Anyways, I will leave that can of worms alone. Good job changing stuff up, you make me want to bust the bag out again and throw some more.

Shaver has a lot of hysers, so taking out a lefty shot( one of 4) is not ideal, but i agree its a boring, birdie or die hole .
frogawitdafizzle

Postby natohammy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 pm

pay 2 play maybe?
natohammy

Postby medicinal funk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:06 am

natohammy wrote:pay 2 play maybe?

good one
medicinal funk

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 am

Detra319 wrote:New placement for 16 gives the feeling of a real par 4, with a premium on staying on the right side of the fairway, and then the low ceiling into the pin works well also.

I'm intrigued by this ....... I always thought of 16 as a solid, but tough, par 3. From what I remember the pin was only like 300 or so from the tee and was more than reachable with a solid throw down left side. Had something changed that made it such a tweener?? Were's the pin in relation to the original pin location?? Thanx .... and keep up the good work in CR
Single L

Postby jnecessary » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:47 am

Single L wrote:
Detra319 wrote:New placement for 16 gives the feeling of a real par 4, with a premium on staying on the right side of the fairway, and then the low ceiling into the pin works well also.

I'm intrigued by this ....... I always thought of 16 as a solid, but tough, par 3. From what I remember the pin was only like 300 or so from the tee and was more than reachable with a solid throw down left side. Had something changed that made it such a tweener?? Were's the pin in relation to the original pin location?? Thanx .... and keep up the good work in CR

The pin is pushed back about 80'-100' from the old location. If you park the old spot you have a run at 2, but likely a 3. Ceiling is sort of low on the second shot. It made it a bit more interesting in my opinion. You don't have to drive the old location for a 3, but you would need to have a good placement shot to get it if you are short of the old spot. I could see some lucky bombs getting 2s. My first time through I threw a Nuke on a low S curve that left me about 70' short and a good chance to make 2. However, that was an exceptional throw for me and a 1 in 5 type shot. A 2 would feel like an eagle for sure.
jnecessary

Postby Detra319 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 am

jnecessary wrote:
Single L wrote:

The pin is pushed back about 80'-100' from the old location. If you park the old spot you have a run at 2, but likely a 3. Ceiling is sort of low on the second shot. It made it a bit more interesting in my opinion. You don't have to drive the old location for a 3, but you would need to have a good placement shot to get it if you are short of the old spot. I could see some lucky bombs getting 2s. My first time through I threw a Nuke on a low S curve that left me about 70' short and a good chance to make 2. However, that was an exceptional throw for me and a 1 in 5 type shot. A 2 would feel like an eagle for sure.

I threw it 50 past the old pin on the right side and still had like a 70 footer, which I don't count on making to say the least. I really really like this hole.

I can see Frog's point about 18 being a more well earned 3 than it was before. I definitely like it more than I did. The idea of adding a back door route over the creek has some interesting potential.
Detra319

Postby jnecessary » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 am

Ya my numbers were an estimate. I've played Shaver 4-5 rounds in my life, Sunday for the first time this year so I could be off on the distances.
jnecessary

Postby AO » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:28 am

Some pretty sweet changes coming up. It'll be nice to have a solid course in Cedar Rapids.
AO

Postby Detra319 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:40 pm

AO wrote:Some pretty sweet changes coming up. It'll be nice to have a solid course in Cedar Rapids.

Any hints on what? 13-14 and add a hole? Enquiring minds would like to know!
Detra319

Postby Detra319 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 pm

AO wrote:Some pretty sweet changes coming up. It'll be nice to have a solid course in Cedar Rapids.

PS This has made me break the bag back out. I had told myself I was going to give myself some time away from golf to build the fire back up, and suddenly the course in my backyard is changing. Fun.
Detra319

Postby Grimm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Where did 18 move to? down left, straight back or right?
Grimm

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 pm

It's perfect for the wobble.
frogawitdafizzle

Next

Return to Cedar Rapids - Shaver Park