Jump Putting

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Postby AO » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:54 pm

That's good to hear. As for digging up old topics. I thought with winter and nothing else to do, it wasn't a bad idea to try start these discussions back up. I think a lot of people read this website and try out suggestions whether it be techniques, tourneys/courses to play, and new discs to to try.
AO

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:21 am

Definitely a good call... 8) Besides the occasional ice bowl or winter mini, this is all we all can do for now. LOL
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby irban » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:33 pm

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E);

I am compelled to bring this up once again. I don't understand why it is so hard to get this point across.

A player recently was discussing his efforts to learn the jump putt. He described the advantage to the style as being closer to the basket when you release. I pointed out that he still needed to have a point of contact behind his lie at the time of release. He said, this is what he thought too, but had recently argued with 3 jump putters on his card about this. They convinced him that the technique involved actually leaving the ground prior to release.

This may have been a mis-understanding on his part, but I thought I should bring it up again. If you are executing the jump putt by leaving the ground prior to release, you are breaking the rules of disc golf. There is no disputing that. There may be a dispute about whether this is actually giving you an advantage; Cydisc pointed out that leaving the ground might be worse technique for instance.

Either way, you still should not do it this way, and you certainly shouldn't be teaching people to jump putt this way. In ball golf, you could make it a habit of moving your lie 3 inches closer every time. Of course this is unlikely to make much difference to your score, but it is still against the rules.

I think the advantage of the jump putt is to get momentum going toward the basket. Another advantage might be the exaggerated lean you get from the jumping motion, putting you closer to the basket. This lean can be executed without violating rule 803.04. Many, maybe most do it legally.

It is tough to see when it's being done improperly, but it still needs to get called more than it does, Borg or not. Also, it would go a long way if jump putters knew and tried to follow the rule, which is the reason for this post.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 pm

That is a valid point for those who have bad technique and form... If your form is good u shouldnt be leaping past your lie b4 your release.

Postby KVN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:28 pm

I have started the lunge/step through putt this year and have
seen alot more long putts go in.
I learned it by watching AO during tournaments when we
were on the same card.
He has a smooth and relaxed delivery that looks effortless
and he doesn't seem to jump up, but moves forward to the target.
Cale Leiviska is the best I have seen (MN Majestic I saw it live)
at this technique.
KVN

Postby AO » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 pm

When I jump putt I focus on a link and most often putt harder. I try to think of the basket as a wall and the disc either hits and stops or goes in. Helps my confidence. I try to putt a little harder because I think there is less room for error compared to a lob jump putt. The bad thing about that is if you miss it's a long come back putt. If you lob jump putt and miss your right around the basket.

For longer putts I have almost stopped using the jump putt and am now doing a walk through putt. This is were I keep one of my feet behind the mini, lift the other foot and walk the disc towards the basket. Kind of a Ulibari/Feldberg combination. I use a flippy putter when I putt like this. I putt it with the nose of the disc up giving me straight flight with less effort and if I miss the disc doesn't carry to far past the basket.
AO

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:11 pm

I use a flippy putter when I putt like this.

Definitely a good point... The Pig's out of this equation.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby AO » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:29 am

I stopped jump putting this season. Got tired of long comeback putts and got sick of walking off the distance to see if I was outside the circle. Once in awhile I jump from long range distances but overall I no longer jump putt. Over the season my confidence has built with longer putting and the last 2 months I've been consistently been making longer putts.
AO

Postby CalebP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:22 pm

I use a very slight hyzer jump putt (more of an approach) for shots out 50-100. Inside of that AO is correct, push putting is best even slightly outside of the circle. Its very important the disc is on an angle you can see behind. I was crouch/forward jump putting earlier this year at higher speeds and yes it was more accurate but the percentage of having to make longer come backs was NOT worth it. Push putting from a chest level has shown immediate improvement.

Also I previously was using a stiff hand and wrist with a kind of snap shooting up into the chains. A relaxed hand and wrist is muuuch better :idea:
CalebP
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Putting Technique