What do you think about?

Learn to throw from local experts.

What do you think about?

Postby johnemus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 pm

What goes through your mind when you are standing on the tee box or getting ready to throw your shot? What about when you are actually throwing? This is something I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. It seems that when I try to think about mechanics and how I want to release the disc, it doesn't do what I want. Maybe thinking too much? Just curious what you guys think about when throwing. :?:
johnemus

Postby Schirm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:02 pm

On the tee, before my runup, I think of my focal point, disc angle, and trajectory angle. Throughout my runup, I TRY to only think of lining my backswing on the line that I planned out preswing.

I feel if my backswing is on line, then my natural forward motion should progress in the right direction.

For me, the less I think about, the better I do.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Viking, Pig, Buzzz, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby Detra319 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:54 am

Michael Jordan was quoted as saying "Think less, play more." I always try to totally empty my head when I am on the course. When I am on the teebox I think about where my feet should end up, and the rest will follow its course.
Detra319

Postby irban » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:32 am

I thought I was thinking about sex 4 times, but apparently I'm wrong.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Agree that less thought is better. As I've changed technique over the years, there were several times I had so many checkpoints, I was overwhelmed. It took a day I was ultra focused and my body was in sync, plus a familiar course, to even execute.

I usually see if I can get by with just visualizing the path I want to take, and line my run up with that path as others have said. That is kind of important because often a teepad faces the wrong direction, and your mind tries to guide you that way.

If my body is working and my throws are ok, I stop there. If not, I try one more thing which is to be sure my front foot is planted before I start bringing my arm forward. This really seems to resolve a lot of issues with balance and release point.

The best days are when everything is working automatically. Then I start to notice what is making my shot better or longer. I feel my center of gravity better, and try to add more oomph at the right time in relation.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Clue » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm

All I think about is the first 1/3 of the flight. Take hole 1 at GV. I'm playing a mildly understable disc out to the left and then getting a late turnover through the middle gap. I don't want the disc to start turning until 250-300ft so the last thing I should be thinking about on the tee is turning the disc over. Instead I'm thinking about staying down (keeping my upper body left of center), throwing a cut to the left side of the fairway. If I think about the disc turning over then I'll stand up and roll all the way over. That would cause me to miss way too far right. Let the disc do the work. All you can do is get it started. You can't control anything after it's left your hand so the only thing to think about is the what should it look like out of your hand (and about the first 100ft).

Hole 11 at GV I do what I call a rollover hyzer. I throw like it's a turnover, but with a disc that won't turnover. So I pick a spot right of the big tree in the middle and throw as hard as I can at that spot. I have to folllow through well or it will hyzer too early. Again, it's about getting it started. You have to throw a disc that you trust will do the rest of the work so that all you have to do is get it started.
Clue

Postby z-man » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Clue wrote:All I think about is the first 1/3 of the flight

This is what I think about...of course you think about how you want the disc to end its flight, but that should lead into what you need to do in the first 1/3rd of the flight path...your job is just to set the disc up for flight and let the disc do all the hard work...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Return to Throwing Technique