The 2010 "redesign"

The 2010 "redesign"

Postby OutsideOfTheAsylum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:14 am

This redesign doesn't make sense. It's holding on to the old holes without consideration for safety and property. People have to throw bombs alongside residential streets and over pedestrian paths and parking lots. It's like we're trying to get the course pulled.

I really think it needs to be redesigned with the Park's obvious priorities in consideration. The playgrounds and waterpark are the focus and trying to cram 18 holes into that chaos just makes the course inconsistent and the flow horrible.

If the course is cut down to 9 holes with 2 pads each (maybe even an additional championship pad), this could potentially be a really good course. As someone mentioned in another thread, hosting a final nine here would be great. It's the dryest course and the one with the best view of the QC.

Then a course could be put in at Mel McKay (even a pitch n' putt) or practice holes at other less used parks in the area.

Has anyone worked with the course caretaker and could there be a meeting with him and the people who host DG events in the area? A real redesign needs to happen before teepads are poured in the current arrangement.
Jeremy Mahr
OutsideOfTheAsylum

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 pm

I think that your thoughts are valid. However, they are falling on deaf ears on this forum. You should direct your thoughts to:

Bill Nelson, Director of Parks & Recreation, City of Rock Island
Phone: (309) 732-7275
E-mail: parkrecmail@rigov.org
GDL17921

Postby OutsideOfTheAsylum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Thanks. That's where I was heading next. Hopefully some good news will come out of it.
Jeremy Mahr
OutsideOfTheAsylum

Postby TreeLoveInman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 pm

This course used to be a 9 hole and then they made it an 18...It really does need to be re-done, Whether you or anybody for that matter can get the citys help would be great. It has a lot of potential to be a really good course, Just isnt laid out right. Like you said it has people walking right back into the line of someones throw. The hills could be used a little bit better and not so harsh. ie one and two. Them 2 holes themselves really keep people away from this park. Ive heard from countless people that they hate this course. I myself like it. Its still challenging. Just with a better layout it could be FUN and challenging. I know they have moved a couple tee boxes but really the whole course needs to be re layed out.
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:16 am

Longview actually used to be a 12 holer. Any of you QC folk(noobs only, I know you know Chase :lol: ) know where the disc golf course used to be prior to Longview?

Hint....it's not there anymore (duh) but several of us played a sick mini course there back in 2005.
GDL17921

Postby TreeLoveInman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 am

Haha 9...12...w/e lol. NOOBIES!! ahhaa If I had to guess I would say down by the basketball courts. Ive seen a couple really old boards still in the ground from an old course.
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:45 pm

nope, I'm talking about a different park entirely that used to have disc golf that doesn't anymore. QC was given the opportunity to use Longview after this course was yanked. If you're really intuitive, you might even think that it was also in RI, since the RI parks dept offered the Longview alternative......no more hints.... :lol:
GDL17921

Postby JUMPman23 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 am

Alright David, I'll help u figure it out. The park that he is referring is Lincoln Park. Apparently the course got moved due to other park-goers, one in particular, that got hit by a disc.

It's too bad there isn't a course there anymore. It seems like a good spot considering the elevation changes and the location near Augie. However, I can see how it would be too cluttered with people other than disc golfers compared to other parks.

What are the chances of getting a new park put in @ Black Hawk State Park? A lot of work would need to be done, but it seems like a good place for a tough course.
JUMPman23

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:52 am

ding ding ding we have a winner!!!!
GDL17921

Postby TreeLoveInman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Damn, I knew that, I just forget. I think you told me that a while ago nick, Or someone told me a year or two ago. That looks like a fun park to plan in as well.
Team Iron Lion
TreeLoveInman

Postby prodiscgolf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Lincoln got pulled because the park was given an insane grant to beautify it and the disc golf course wasn't in that plan. I never heard someone got hit as the reason for pulling it. The layout is awkward, but considering how much of the 12 hole course was turned into waterpark land, we were fortunate to have been given more of the park to expand into, expanding to 18 was an important step. If someone gets permission to redesign, great, go for it.
prodiscgolf

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 pm

the main reason it got pulled was a disc landed on the stage during a performance of Don Wootens' Shakespear in the Park stuff...it was gone the next week!

On another note there is an unsanctioned masters and above tourney being held at Camden 2 it is a benefit for Concrete tees at Longview June 15th
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Has there actually been communication with the Park Board on this?

Is there a re-design in the works, or is there just going to be concrete put in where the current dirt tees are?

If someone is actually working with the City, a revamp should seriously be on the table.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Bugslayer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

yes it has been cleared with Bill Nelson he has some other ideas on fund raising he wants to talk over also.

As to redesign yes but I know not to what extent Bill is going over that with the person who is working with him next week.

Also it has been cleared with Milan Community Center for the pavillion and course on that date.
A mind is like a parachute.....it doesn't work if it isn't open!

Frank Zappa
Bugslayer

Postby 1semenking » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 pm

First played this course with Jay back in 05. Then I thought it was a great course and haven't been there since. The elevation is amazing and the wind conditions alone can make it treacherous! Hope things turn out for the best guys!! Good Luck!!!

Tim Ragen
1semenking

Next

Return to Quad Cities (Rock Island, IL) - Longview Park