What's Bugging Clue

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

What's Bugging Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:52 pm

One of the biggest misconceptions in disc golf is that getting your foot legally behind the mini in a wide open field doesn't matter. How many times have you heard, "Well, I'm not going to call a guy who's 400ft out that misses his mark by 6 inches"?

The situation came up yesterday when Jared Pittman and myself were camped out behind where Shane Stewart was throwing his approach on a 720ft hole. As many of you know Shane approaches his shots at a pretty hard angle and was approaching this one at almost 90 degrees. Well he came up about a foot short of getting to his mini so his plant foot was a foot right of the line of play. It was so obvious that I blurted out foot fault and Jared called it as well. There's more to the story, but Shane said something that drove me nuts. He said it doesn't matter when you're way out in the middle of a field. Let me assure you nothing could be further from the truth.

Here's a perfect example: Shane of course is now watching me like a hawk and I have the same shot coming up. Because I'm thinking about it a little more, I kept my head down a split second longer than normal, and this caused me to short arm the throw a little which ended up in me missing about 100ft left. From 400ft away every little thing you do wrong in a throw is going to be pronounced by a much bigger miss which is precisely why it's more important to call a foot fault in that position.

People focus on putting foot faults way more than fairway throws. While often people try to gain an advantage when straddle putting from behind a tree, most putting foot faults are from people who just always line up a few inches to the side of their mini. I would argue that while that habit is ridiculously stupid and unnecessary, it gains far less advantage than the guy who misses by 3 inches from 400ft away. It's not about your body position in relation to the target, it's about your body position in relation to your feet! The guy putting is standing still and is going to be standing still regardless of where he sets up legal or not. However, a guy taking a run up to a mini has to be very coordinated to keep his stride in good balance while getting his foot to land on a 30cm line with no width!

BTW, thanks to Damon Culver for this idea. In other words he's the guy you should blame for getting me to rant on here each Monday after tournaments.
Clue

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:57 pm

way to steal probably the biggest douchebag in local sports TV's segment name. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby shane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Whats the rules on telephones anyhow?
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 pm

shane wrote:Whats the rules on telephones anyhow?

see courtesy violations Shane.

And a pro asking a rules question.... :roll:

or a pro saying what difference do foot faults make in a field?..... :roll:

I'm watching you proflight.... :lol:
GDL17921

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Turn the fuckers off!! Only reason you should ever have a phone on is if you have a family member in the hospital or if your wife is about to give birth. And even then they should be on vibrate. I hate waiting for people to shoot while they talk on their phones or get inturupted on one of my shots by a ring. :lol:
SARG27044

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:09 pm

SARG27044 wrote:
Turn the fuckers off!! Only reason you should ever have a phone on is if you have a family member in the hospital or if your wife is about to give birth. And even then they should be on vibrate. I hate waiting for people to shoot while they talk on their phones or get inturupted on one of my shots by a ring. :lol:

The phone was on vibrate. We were waiting for the group in front of us and I pulled it out to get an update while we waited. Shane was reaching to retaliate. Thanks for the support Wood!
Clue

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:10 pm

GDL17921 wrote:way to steal probably the biggest douchebag in local sports TV's segment name. :lol:

Again, Damon's fault.
Clue

Postby irban » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Agree it's important regardless of the lie. Whenever I do it, it is unintentional, just another thing I lose focus about. No excuse though.

I get embarassed especially when I'm step a little off the side behind a tree or something, when it helps me. My subconsious seems to try to help me out. I do try practice run up or step ups to get some muscle memory going.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:30 pm

you know what's buggin me? TD's in this state that bring their laptops to a tournament and then don't even post scores. What's the laptop for anyways? So you could calculate how to rip off the ams?
GDL17921

Postby gocards300 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:32 pm

GDL17921 wrote: What's the laptop for anyways?

my guess is redtube in between rounds
gocards300

Postby shane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:34 pm

I wasn't really asking anyone anything, I was just sayin'

D. Players are not permitted to have active
cell phones or audible pagers on the course
during any competitive round.

As far as the foot fault I didn't even question it, I knew before they even said it that I foot faulted and immediately grabbed a disc and threw another shot.

I've foot faulted 3 times in tourneys I've called myself on the first 2 and no one would 2nd, this one I just by chance got pittman and clue sitting 2' behind me.

As far as what I said we were having a discussion about foot faults as we were walking to the next shots, really in an open field, it's a mental thing (as long as the footing is all the same) period. If you're someone that follows the rules then knowing that you're supposed to be behind that mini is the key. Obviously you're supposed to still perform it also. I didn't but I did follow that up with a nicer shot. So thanks.
shane

Postby Clue » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm

shane wrote:I didn't but I did follow that up with a nicer shot. So thanks.

I should've stated originally that Shane never disputed the call, but the only thing you should be thanking me for is not calling you on the re-throw as you clearly foot-faulted a 2nd time, not as badly, but a foot fault nonetheless. I should've been penalized for not calling it.
Clue

Postby Pittman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Just to throw some fuel on the fire. This situation is also another prime example for a disc golf problem. While I was sitting watching the throw and clearly saw Shane miss his mark by over a foot, I probably wouldn't have called it if Clue didn't first. We've all seen someone foot fault and not said a damn thing. We all know why... You call the foot fault and there is tension then if not right out hatred. Even in this situation where you could resonably say that Clue, Shane and myself are all friends it was there a little bit. As soon as Clue went to throw Shane was saying, "You better hit your mark, for the rest of the round". The rest of the round we were joking around and eventually Shane put a warning on the card for Clue's phone issue.

If you get called for doing something stupid, it was your own damn fault. Don't get mad at the one that called it!
Pittman

Postby SARG27044 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Pittman wrote:

If you get called for doing something stupid, it was your own damn fault. Don't get mad at the one that called it!
Agreed. But if you plan on calling out infractions, I would suggest, that you make sure you are following all the rules yourself. Foot fault is a foot fault, and using your phone is also against the rules, wether or not you caused a disturbance to others.
SARG27044

Postby shane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:19 pm

I wasn't mad, I would of been mad if a ProFlight team member wasn't calling it to be honest. If I foot faulted the second time someone should of called it. If there was tension I didn't notice everything is in fun for me. If you know me then you know that I'm just happy to be playing.
shane

Next

Return to Ask the State Coordinator