Local Boys - Introductions

Moderator: calvarycoffee

Postby AO » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:49 pm

calvarycoffee wrote:i've posted flyers about this website around the east park course. i was hoping to get some more DG'ers on this site by the flyers.
hopefully soon, we'll be organizing a Mason City DG club - with custom discs and shirts and stuff.

Sounds like you are working hard to get things going in the area. Hopefully we can see some Mason City golfers at some events. What are the courses like in the area?
AO

Postby Peil » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:26 am

AO wrote:Sounds like you are working hard to get things going in the area. Hopefully we can see some Mason City golfers at some events. What are the courses like in the area?

Dave, Myles and the others are doing a great job getting things going in Mason City. Right now Mason City has one 9-hole course but there are talks of more. There is an 18-hole design with am and pro tees done for the NIACC campus (in Mason City) but the college is dragging their feet about it because of disc golf's bad reputation. There are 9 more 9-hole courses within 30 miles of Mason City with at least one more close to completion. Some of us Mason City Boys were able to make it to an unsanctioned event at Pickard last year and had a great time. Hopefully that will mean a little more touring for us this year.
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:29 am

hopefully we'll get a group to travel and play (compete) around iowa courses.

all we need is a shagg'n wag'n.

i do like cedar rapids courses. jones was my favorite.
calvarycoffee

Postby greatlight » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:50 am

MC is only 9 holes. I thought for sure there was more. wouldn't it be interesting to get a couple of holes on the campground side of the river, It would certainly be a tough throw to get across the river to the campground. I will see if the first weekend in April is open for me.
greatlight

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:12 pm

RP wrote:There is an 18-hole design with am and pro tees done for the NIACC campus (in Mason City) but the college is dragging their feet about it because of disc golf's bad reputation.

I don't know what approach you have taken with the campus. When I was attending Western Illinois a course was installed on the campus. The party invovled in presenting the course to the rec department of the school had an excellent pitch. We stressed the possibility of intramural oppurtunities, encouraging students to stay on campus on the weekends, another PE class to offer, another activity other than "drinking" (this is a tough sale), and it was an oppurtunity for the school to sell discs in the book store, as well as some others. It was important to share how the school was going to benefit. It also helped that one of the big wigs in the intramural department played disc golf.

You may have already done all of this, but it is what helped us get the course installed, and the results were phenominal. The school benefits, so we all win. One thing that was stressed a lot from the school was that we had to have trash cans (trash was a big concern) at every hole (only nine holes). I think this helped at first, but only became a burden later because drunks on the weekends would be walking home and knocking them over.

Unfortunately some are not as excepting as others. A lot of times it's who you know, not what you know.
Buzzznation

Postby Peil » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks for all the information Buzzznation. It was originally Charlie Schroeder (a teacher at the college) that contacted Rusty Murl (owner of Rusty's in Mason City and Indianola) about a course on the campus. Rusty contacted me and we designed a course. Charlie purposed it to the college with information provided by Rusty and myself. The college then asked some of the students what they thought about a course on the campus and it was the students that were opposed to it. Since then a disc golf club has been started at the school and I think people are starting to change their minds. I think they have one or two of the baskets and are going to install a few of the holes and see how it goes. This is a good sign but it has been a slow process.
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:43 pm

buzznation

do you have a copy of the written presentation you used at western ill?

I think i have a copy of what charlie used at niacc a few years ago, and it would be worth a shot to include the things you mentioned.

we could try again for a set amount of money and get all 18 baskets. with money for contrete pads and trash. I hear this year will be a good year for money for the college.

so far, the DG club gets $500 a year budgeted to them, we used in on 2 chainstar baskets. the baskets are sitting in our storage ready for spring.

they will be put up at hole #1 and #2.
calvarycoffee

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Sorry, I don't, and the guy that I would need to talk to you I have no idea how to get a hold of. It wasn't very formal. We pretty much went in there with the layout of the course and a list of the benefits and went from there. They did make us move a few baskets around for safety matters, but other than that they put it in our hands. WE did partner with the city for funding and we did some fundrasing, but the school took care of most of it. We did all of the labor of course.
Buzzznation

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:15 pm

n/p
calvarycoffee

Postby greatlight » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:41 am

Does NIACC have a course, or is it in the works? bit confused.
greatlight

Postby calvarycoffee » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:39 pm

No, we don't have a course.

We do have a design for an 18 hole course. And the first 2 baskets of it, not yet installed.
calvarycoffee

Postby greatlight » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 am

calvarycoffee wrote:No, we don't have a course.

We do have a design for an 18 hole course. And the first 2 baskets of it, not yet installed.

I see. i understand now. waiting for good weather, or permission to install? or both?
greatlight

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:15 pm

waiting for the ground to thaw.

i work in the maintence department, so you can be sure the'll be in the ground ASAP! hehe
calvarycoffee

Postby greatlight » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:32 am

i bet it will be. I've decided I am going to attempt to get into the action starting hopefully this april (a lot of snow), I will be probably be trying to hook up with Myles at East Park. I called him yesterday 3-5, but forgot to mention i was interested.
greatlight

Postby greatlight » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:17 am

Well, snow is leaving. Hopefully the damage to roads at the park won't effect the course.
greatlight

PreviousNext

Return to Mason City - East Park