In and outs

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

In and outs

Postby Twan E Z » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:23 pm

I've been getting alot of in and out of the basket putts. 4 or 5 a round. I'm not talking bouncing off the basket, I'm talking, it goes in and runs out. Anything I can do to try and beat this, i'm not sure if it's my putter or my technique?
Anthony Moody
Twan E Z

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Hit the center of the chains :) . Sounds like your a spin putter....maybe try slowing down your spin speed and using more of a push putt style...toss it like your trying to spin a textbook on to the top of a table (into the basket)...hard to describe, much easier to show. Spin and push putts are completely different types of styles, but only spin-putts fall out as the way you are describing.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Clue » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:59 pm

The Donator wrote:...hard to describe, much easier to show.

If it's so easy to show, how come nobody has ever seen you make one?!?
Clue

Postby The Donator » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Set myself up for that one no doubt
The Donator

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:11 am

The Donator wrote:hard to describe, much easier to show.

That's what she said.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Are they slicing through? Or bouncing straight back at you?

Slice throughs have to do with angle and the type of basket you're on. Discers have to pay more attention to baskets than say ball golfers do a hole in the ground. Mach 3's are very "open" high and left (if you're right handed). Putting flatter and slightly nose up helps the disc get held in the chains better. Low center is the ideal spot to hit. Every putt is unique and every basket is as well.

If they are bouncing straight back the disc is too level, you need some nose up or nose down on it, and putt it softer. Hitting the chains softly helps a ton. I see guys all the time rifle putts in and are shocked win they slice through or bounce back at them.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby irban » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 pm

If you just ignore it, it will probably stop happening. And you won't know why. :shock:
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby AO » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Sadly.....spits are a part of this game and I can't stand them.
AO

Postby Single L » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Hitting the chains softly helps a ton. I see guys all the time rifle putts in and are shocked win they slice through or bounce back at them.

I've had far less spit putts when I softened my putt up. I've always had little spit outs when I hit the heart of the chains, however none of us hit the heart every time, so one way to sure up those of center putts to avoid spit outs his to hit the chains softer.

Like has been said before the people who typically bitch the most about spit outs are usually the ones who riffle their putts at the basket ....... when a riffled putt hits square it has the tendency to bounce off the pole and the ones off center will cut through or bounce of the chains ....... and they wonder why they have so many spit outs :roll:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby irban » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 pm

However, softer putts sometimes hit the front of the basket. The less you put on it, the more you need to gauge the distance. Risk in either technique really.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:41 pm

You kind of nailed it on the head ....... IMO

The skill in soft putting is gauging the distance for how much mustered to put on it and how high or low to aim. The skill in putting hard is hitting dead center and low to avoid the spit out. To me adjusting the power and height is much easier than having to hit the perfect spot every time.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby The Donator » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 pm

porkchop wrote:You kind of nailed it on the head ....... IMO

The skill in soft putting is gauging the distance for how much mustered to put on it and how high or low to aim. The skill in putting hard is hitting dead center and low to avoid the spit out. To me adjusting the power and height is much easier than having to hit the perfect spot every time.

Mustard. J/S...

Ill have to throw in a "no shit Sherlock" to this entire post :roll: :lol:
The Donator

Postby AO » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 pm

So then what would you say about the spits that are soft and low but recoil off the rings? All baskets have there flaws and you have to just deal with spits. I try and find a medium speed, keep the disc relatively flat, and try and hit center a few inches above the rim of the basket
AO

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 am

I think Corey's right on w/ the softness of the throw - and guaging your distance accordingly. While I envy those who bang em straight in from 50' out as if they were 10 - but I feel having the right touch for each distance - to maximize the likelihood you'll get a good wrap in the chains is the ideal option. Then the model of basket shouldn't matter.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby IHearChains » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

AO wrote:So then what would you say about the spits that are soft and low but recoil off the rings?

I had this happen in the tourney at Turkey last weekend, on a routine gimmee drop-in from about 5ft out. I dropped it soft into the low center chains below rim height, bend down to pick up the mini, then *plop* there was my putter on the ground. Unbelievable. Did not even know that was physically possible.
IHearChains

Next

Return to Putting Technique