2010 Club League

Des Moines area leagues

Moderator: Single L

Postby Clue » Fri May 14, 2010 1:50 pm

SARG27044 wrote:I dont even know whats going on here!!! Is it not random draw? Havent been out yet this year, but I thought thats how it was done in the past...

Last year there were a couple of women who always seemed to draw me and Duden week after week. I finally quit playing.
Clue

Postby Joe Cool » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:53 pm

Joe Cool

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:54 am

Singles start at Ewing tonight!!! See you all there!
GDL17921

Postby Joe Cool » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:21 pm

I received the following e-mail yesterday and I am disappointed as hell. I have erased one detail to protect the guilty and the name of the sender but it’s legit.

Joe,
I was one of the “new” people at League play last night, and I thought maybe you would like to know how it went for me. I was a little nervous and anxious, since I am relatively new to the sport. But I thought league play would be a good way to meet people and maybe get some sound advice on the finer points of Disc Golf and improve my game.

I was matched up with three other guys, (who are very, very good) I figured I could learn something, but instead right from the start I was greeted with sarcastic remarks and condescending and patronizing attitudes. I tried to brush it off, and chalked it up to me being new and not part of the “in” crowd, I figured it would just take a few holes to get know each other and become friendly or at least cordial , not so, the sarcasm continued. The comments covered a broad spectrum of things from how many disc’s I had to throwing style, taking to much time, throwing into the woods and on and on.
And it wasn’t just directed at me, one of the gentlemen made slighted comments about other groups of players throwing into the wrong fairways. After nine holes I had enough and just bowed out.

Yes I could have just given these guys the same attitude right back but it probably wouldn’t have ended very well……for them. I’m older and apparently wiser than any of the guys in that group so I decided to keep it civil and just leave. And I’m sorry to say I won’t be coming back, the whole episode left me very…..sad, I guess would be the best way to put it. I know you can’t govern the attitudes of every person there but these guys were apparently some of your frequent players, which makes it even worse. These guys more than anyone should be willing to proliferate the sport and help “newbees” instead of being insecure, egotistical and offensive.

I showed up last night with a couple of friends who are also new to league, they didn’t have as bad an experience as I did, they even enjoyed themselves. One of them was told by his group of people that I was stuck in a group full of “pricks” so maybe it was just my group. We were all considering joining the league but after last night I’m not sure how many will be prone to join. I know I won’t

Thanks for your time, and I hope this info can help you create a better environment for others in the future
Joe Cool

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:49 pm

that's BS. I say call out the guilty Joe. I want to know who the hell acting like that. There's no reason to protect somebody that's:

1. a detriment to the league
2. costing the club revenue
3. a Chucking jackass
GDL17921

Postby discgolfduval » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 pm

I dont even know what to think about this. One side of me feels like we just lost another helmet from occupying the course so oh well... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I dont even know any disc golfers who would act like this. Alot of times I dont talk with people I dont know not because Im not friendly, Im just not social with people I dont know. A character flaw amongst many :lol: Do you think this guy just misread these people and is over-reacting just a bit? Sad deal.
discgolfduval

Postby The Donator » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:36 pm

I dont see a reason to protect the guilty either. Yeah sure we all want to know who it is out of curiousity, but like Fausch said no one comes to mind out of the whole des moines disc golf community that would say stuff like that. Disappointing indeed.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Clue » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Joe Cool wrote:I was matched up with three other guys, (who are very, very good)

This is the part I didn't understand. I thought all the good players played Bushwhackers!!!
Clue

Postby Single L » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:23 pm

discgolfduval wrote:Seriously though, I dont even know any disc golfers who would act like this.

I know a few people who act like this ...... its really sad and inexcusable
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby irban » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Maybe those dicks from Black Hawk Metro got kicked out and came down here. :P

Joe, I hope you can convey to the person that is isn't typical for our league down here. Plus, I'm with GDL and Donator. If you think it actually occurred, I think they should be confronted about it and put on warning. I'm not of the opinion that there are some in every crowd. There is no reason to put up with that.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Clue wrote:
Joe Cool wrote:I was matched up with three other guys, (who are very, very good)

This is the part I didn't understand. I thought all the good players played Bushwhackers!!!

Plus, all of the boorish dicks are there too.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:34 pm

That's just sad.

I think Joe needs to handle this and NOT put whoever up here for our scolding.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby rightcunnin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:20 pm

I don't know if putting up the names of those involved is necessary but maybe Joe or someone from the club talks to the people involved and gets their side of the story also to sse what happened. If members of the club were acting this bad then that sucks big time but there is also the possibility that this person took their actions wrong. The group he was playing with may have know the other people throwing in the "wrong fairway" and were just flipping them shit. I'm just supposing here. Either way I hate to hear that people had that bad a time and hope they give it another try.
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Helmets

Postby Trammel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:39 pm

discgolfduval wrote:I dont even know what to think about this. One side of me feels like we just lost another helmet from occupying the course so oh well... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I dont even know any disc golfers who would act like this. Alot of times I dont talk with people I dont know not because Im not friendly, Im just not social with people I dont know. A character flaw amongst many :lol: Do you think this guy just misread these people and is over-reacting just a bit? Sad deal.

:evil: And the stereo type of Helmet is right along with the other pricks! Just sayin , I quit the league for other reason but I certainly see and agree with this person I would'nt join either since ur just a Helmet that needs to go away apparently BS. :twisted:
Trammel

Re: Helmets

Postby Single L » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Local Helmet wrote:
discgolfduval wrote:One side of me feels like we just lost another helmet from occupying the course so oh well... :lol: :lol:

:evil: And the stereo type of Helmet is right along with the other pricks! Just sayin , I quit the league for other reason but I certainly see and agree with this person I would'nt join either since ur just a Helmet that needs to go away apparently BS. :twisted:

I think I'm with Trammel on this one ..... Remember that we we're all so called "helmets" at one point in time.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines