Elevated

Elevated

Postby Single L » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:04 pm

AO just sent me this pic in a text ....... Our Captain strikes again ...... Stibs recently installed this green on hole 2 at Turkey Creek ......... Mad Props to one of the hardest working mofo's I know!!!!!!

"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby jnecessary » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks Kevin and anyone else that helped work on that! Personally, I can't wait to get out there and see it in person!
jnecessary

Postby The Donator » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 pm

That is badass!! Not an easy deuce anymore. Hopefully it can stay in that good of shape for years to come...
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Hamer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

I was out there last night before the basket was in place. It looked very cool then. It definitely gives a new look to that hole. Thank you to everyone that worked on it.
Hamer

Postby Grimm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 pm

The Donator wrote:That is badass!! Not an easy deuce anymore. Hopefully it can stay in that good of shape for years to come...

Your flippy discs always land in the woods like mine do. Easy 3.
Grimm

Postby Clue » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Anyone playing for a particular side? Low seems good for putting uphill without risk of 3-putt, but it's a tougher putt and if your drive hits the wall it could roll away. High side would leave a more level putt but would drastically increase your chances of 3-putting.

I just hope it holds up with all the rec traffic.
Clue

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:08 am

ace run and pray it lands in the ring or left on the high side
Abe Froman

Postby Detra319 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:54 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote:ace run and pray it lands in the ring or left on the high side

Definitely.
Detra319

Postby jnecessary » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 am

Clue wrote:Anyone playing for a particular side? Low seems good for putting uphill without risk of 3-putt, but it's a tougher putt and if your drive hits the wall it could roll away. High side would leave a more level putt but would drastically increase your chances of 3-putting.

I just hope it holds up with all the rec traffic.

After playing a round last night (finally!) there wasn't a dramatic change in this hole, it looks like the basket is higher that it really is. It only feels elevated when putting from below, and even then it isn't one of those baskets that is so high when you miss you have a really hard comeback putt to make (At least it doesn't look like it, I didn't miss :P)

I really does look great though and is an outstanding cosmetic improvement for Turkey!
jnecessary

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 pm

jnecessary wrote:After playing a round last night (finally!) there wasn't a dramatic change in this hole, it looks like the basket is higher that it really is. It only feels elevated when putting from below, and even then it isn't one of those baskets that is so high when you miss you have a really hard comeback putt to make (At least it doesn't look like it, I didn't miss :P)

I really does look great though and is an outstanding cosmetic improvement for Turkey!

I agree. I played there this a.m. and it really didn't seem much tougher to me either. Maybe the biggest impact will be on giving a better impression to all the non-golfers that drive by there, who will now see something way more interesting and attractive than a mudhole.
IHearChains

Postby Abe Froman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:20 pm

IHearChains wrote: Maybe the biggest impact will be on giving a better impression to all the non-golfers that drive by there, who will now see something way more interesting and attractive than a mudhole.

qft
Abe Froman

Postby Dale Jordal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:37 pm

IHearChains wrote: Maybe the biggest impact will be on giving a better impression to all the non-golfers that drive by there, who will now see something way more interesting and attractive than a mudhole.

My thoughts exactly, I've had something very similar planned for poles 7 & 13 at our course. Both poles are near a major road ( #7 Hwy 69 & #13 Golf Course Road ) and very much in view for the public. It was also planed to make the poles a little more diffiucult as they are some of the lower scoring poles,m however it was as much for show and attenstion as anything.

That was going to be this years projects, however the money I had for landscaping block now has to be used to add some new tee boxes due to a change in our " woods " ( Most of our trees are now gone :cry: )
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby IHearChains » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Dale Jordal wrote:

My thoughts exactly, I've had something very similar planned for poles 7 & 13 at our course. Both poles are near a major road ( #7 Hwy 69 & #13 Golf Course Road ) and very much in view for the public. It was also planed to make the poles a little more diffiucult as they are some of the lower scoring poles,m however it was as much for show and attenstion as anything.

That was going to be this years projects, however the money I had for landscaping block now has to be used to add some new tee boxes due to a change in our " woods " ( Most of our trees are now gone :cry: )

Wow that is too bad, What happened to the woods, disease or bug infestation or something else?
IHearChains

Postby robizm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

That looks so nice ! Turkey to me seems like the 'Jones' of IC area in terms of casual random players. Hope the idiots don't chuck that all up !
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
pdga#: 17020 IQ: 47 quote: "Weather forecast for tonight : dark"
robizm

Postby Captain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:32 am

jnecessary wrote:wasn't a dramatic change in this hole, it looks like the basket is higher that it really is. It only feels elevated when putting from below, and even then it isn't one of those baskets that is so high when you miss you have a really hard comeback putt to make

My biggest worry with the whole thing was making the basket too high, creating risk/reward not worth it. We could always make the pole in the center longer, making the basket higher, but we would also need some steps built in to be able to retrieve discs.

Having it next to the road was paramount (IMO), not only for the people who drive by, but also the Army Corps (just to show them what we can really do).

I would like to see the pedestals installed at SB and Pen too. Great experience to build this (the next one will go much faster!)

Thanks to all for the kind words.
Captain

Next

Return to Coralville - Turkey Creek