Iowa State PDGA Coordinator 2010 Candidate

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Golfguy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 am

Discwrangler wrote:How do you see this forum in regards to the overall disc golf experience in Iowa? Would you like to develop it further? Would you advertise it around the state?

IowaDG.com has become the best source for up to date Iowa disc golf information. I would not develop it further...Mike and Brad are doing fine. However, I do promote the site just as Tanner does.

All of us understand this position is all about communication. I plan to hold "office hours" as I do have a fulltime job and family, so I will check IowaDG.com Monday mornings and Thursday nights. That way players know when I will be available to answer questions.

In the spirit of communication I plan to create an Iowa PDGA TD email distribution list and a Pro Iowa Tour list. Also, create a dedicated website for Iowa TDs...a place to post official documents, planning materials, evaluation forms etc. However, it will not contain another forum...IowaDG is THE place.
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby CalebP » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 pm

How would you go about searching for a major sponsor for some Iowa Tour stops like Hub City open? (WLOO Open plz....darren beck anyone?) The league in the area could do a percentage match for added cash and could give promotion merch for there sake.
CalebP
Site Admin

Postby Clue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:15 am

CalebP wrote:How would you go about searching for a major sponsor for some Iowa Tour stops like Hub City open? (WLOO Open plz....darren beck anyone?) The league in the area could do a percentage match for added cash and could give promotion merch for there sake.

That's not the function of the state coordinator. As a friend of Shane's and a sponsored player of his, if I knew of an opportunity or thought of one that made sense I would certainly notify him and/or assist in pursuing that, but I would not be acting as state coordinator in that capacity, and that would hold true of anyone.
Clue

Postby Single L » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 am

Here's a question to both of you that has been asked and not answered.

The SC is allotted a USDGC spot to disperse how they see fit. In years past SC's have kept it for themselves while others have put it on the table in a competitive format (currently the Iowa Tour winner receives the spot). I'd like to hear how both of you plan to handle this moving forward.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Cydisc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 am

porkchop wrote:Here's a question to both of you that has been asked and not answered.

The SC is allotted a USDGC spot to disperse how they see fit. In years past SC's have kept it for themselves...

I'm trying to think of an SC who has done this. I know of some who have doled them out to people they think are worthy of the spot, some that took applications in essay form, but I've never heard of any just taking the spot for themselves.

Nowadays, it's been mandated, or at least strongly suggested, by Harold that the spots are given based on the outcome of a disc golf competition, so it's just a matter of what that competitive format is.
Cydisc

Postby Golfguy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:54 am

porkchop wrote:Here's a question to both of you that has been asked and not answered.

The SC is allotted a USDGC spot to disperse how they see fit. In years past SC's have kept it for themselves while others have put it on the table in a competitive format (currently the Iowa Tour winner receives the spot). I'd like to hear how both of you plan to handle this moving forward.

I am going :D j.k. Maybe an award to a leader. Shane, Peyton, Claring? Maybe highest rated player not already qualified? Or highest Iowa tournament PDGA points total? I think there are several interesting ideas.

I think it might be hard to not use the Iowa Tour winner. They are all PDGA events. I would recommend that for now...
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Clue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:22 pm

I've been talking to people around the country to get some different ideas. The most glaring thing that most states do that we don't is offer a cash prize to help with expenses. In Arkansas they have 10 qualifying events to put you in a final event where the winner gets the exemption. A dollar is taken from each person at each event that goes towards the end prize. In addition they have a Friday qualifier before the last event where participants pay $20 to play their first round and $5 for each additional round. Top 5 of those get in as well, and all the money goes toward the payout.

What's interesting about a single day winner is that more people would have an opportunity to get it, and you might have more people in the hunt. I still plan on talking to many players from this state to get some feedback, but it will definitely be contested.
Clue

Postby AO » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:26 pm

If you did a single day event for the spot...which would you choose?
AO

Postby Clue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 pm

AO wrote:If you did a single day event for the spot...which would you choose?

If we used qualifiers it would have to be it's own tournament, something I like in theory but not actuality. If we continued with a state championship in the middle of the summer that would be an ideal tournament (btw, that's something I want to talk to you about).
Clue

Postby AO » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Clue wrote:
AO wrote:If you did a single day event for the spot...which would you choose?

If we used qualifiers it would have to be it's own tournament, something I like in theory but not actuality. If we continued with a state championship in the middle of the summer that would be an ideal tournament (btw, that's something I want to talk to you about).

Call when you get a chance.
AO

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:31 pm

The USDGC spot as well as the USADGC spots are coveted and should be used as a draw for tournaments.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Discwrangler wrote:The USDGC spot as well as the USADGC spots are coveted and should be used as a draw for tournaments.

Absolutely. The thing I've been thinking about is that a few of us use the Iowa exemption as a crutch if we don't get in elsewhere. I'm starting to lean toward a system where more people would have a shot. There are gonna be some guys that never have a shot to go outside of this and I like the idea of opening it up to more Advanced players. Plus the more interest, the more opportunity to raise some money, however I don't know that I'd give whatever money was raised to just the Iowa rep. I'd prefer it get split amongst everyone who qualified from Iowa.
Clue

Postby z-man » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Clue wrote:Plus the more interest, the more opportunity to raise some money, however I don't know that I'd give whatever money was raised to just the Iowa rep. I'd prefer it get split amongst everyone who qualified from Iowa.
I like this idea a lot...helping out your fellow golfers represent the great state that we play in...and it might allow those playing to loosen up a bit knowing that part of their fees were taken care of...one less thing to worry about.
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Ferch » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:01 am

I've have heard enough and my vote is in. Good luck Clue!
Living for flight. One day at a time.
Ferch

Postby AO » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:01 am

Tim has been very helpfull with Chase and Iron Lion events. Last year Tim also helped me by transporting baskets from Davenport to Oelwein for the Hub City Open. Tim has always been willing to help and is hands on.

I'm interested to see how voting turns out and I'm looking forward to having a new state coordinator. Best of luck to both of you and thanks for running.
AO

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator