HELP Needed for NORWALK course

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:57 pm

WOW... Discraft's full color discs are WAY cheaper than Innova's, and the hotstamps are even cheaper!!! More info to follow....
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Ok, here's the Discraft info:

$6 per disc - SuperColor (full color) discs
$5 per disc - ESP Plastic w/ hot stamp
$5 per disc - Elite Z Plastic w/ hot stamp
$5 per disc - Elite X Plastic w/ hot stamp
$4 per disc - Pro-D plastic (like DX)

The full color prints are 300dpi

4-6 weeks needed for completion

Hotstamp discs come on assortment of colors w/ assortment of stamp colors

Min order on Hot Stamp: 100
Min order on Full Color: 50

Max Models in Hot Stamp: 2
Max Models in Full Color: 4
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby irban » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:26 pm

I would ask around to see if the Des Moines market responds better to Innova than Discraft. Not saying that you won't sell them all either way. Maybe Jon Latch, Chris Claring, Shane or others can give you advice.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm

I know we'll be giving away 1/2 of the discs to the larger donors, and then sell the last 1/2 as rec discs to the public... I don't think we'll have much of a problem with that, but good idea Irban!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby 10up » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:04 pm

yeah Irban.

:P
10up

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:08 am

Ok... I MAY be putting the cart befor the horse here, but I'm curious about tournament organizing, etc... With a small rec course like Norwalk will be - and if we have some kind of town-wide inaugural rec tourney, what kidn of terms are we looking @?

I assume 3 rounds of 12, = 36 holes, but I'm more curious about how you work out the cost of entries, etc... Do you have cheap entry fees @ like $10, or do you raise it up to $25 & include a disc? I assume w/ a rec course, small town, that including a disc would be a good value for those who want something - or do you simply keep the cost down & let those who already play enter?

Could we do an introductory clinic prior to the tourney, including the discs in cost? That way you have kind of instruction from more experienced players, then run the tourney @ a lesser cost?

Just some ideas I've been tossing around in my head. I think I'm leaning more towards the clinic. We'll be giving a custom disc to each donor over $50, so that means a free clinic/intro/play through would probably be a good idea for their benefit as a "thank you", but then a community-wide, public clinic to pay for, and a Tourney on July 4th in conjunction w/ the parade & stuff going on... Usually on the 4th there is one small park packed full of people & kids, and this other event in the "other park" might alleviate traffic from the smaller park, etc. That's up to the Park Board to approve, I'm sure, so I'll bring that up later...

Any input would be appreciated!
J
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Clue » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:51 pm

What kind of participants do you want? Do you want local recreational participation, or do you want seasoned players from a larger area? That answer will dictate what kind of price you set. If you want to raise money for the course, I'd charge $20-25 and not give much away at all. If you just want to promote the course, I'd charge as little as possible and give away as much as possible. The more people you draw, the more interest there would be to a local business to carry discs. It all depends on what your goals are.
Clue

Postby puppetmaster » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:35 pm

Now in my opion (not that its worth much) I dont think it would be a good idea to have a turnament right away. I like the idea of a grand opening with a play through for all the sponsors (there will be alot of people that gave that wont show up in my opion) that show up and Park and Rec could sell the rest of the disc that we dont give away.
In order to have a tournament, we need bussiness to give away products and I wouldnt like giving something away if I just gave 100 or more for a sponsor. I think we need to give Norwalk time to get use to a disc golf course before we do a turnament.
I am planning on having the couse done and playing before June 15th, I think having a July 4 opening wouldnt work out because people are busy with there lives on the forth and remember that this is a small course (manly 300 ft baskets shots. I also bet that Nancy has the complex rented out for the 4th.
Not that Im trying to be Mr. Negative, I just want everything to go real smooth to get everything started and finished......
If other people disagree with me, please state so. Gary L
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:20 pm

I was only thinkign the 4th time frame IF we got pushed back that far... But you're right in what we had mentioned before to each other about the introduction for the sponsors & donors... The reast of the town will ehar about it no matter what since it's a "small town" after all. LOL I agree that getting the course in, & having it go smoothly is important. I was just kind of tossing out there to see what others had done in the past. And in a sense, we don't really need a tournament, because we already raised all the funds! LOL (-; You weren't being Mr. Negative @ all! (-:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Short update; Everything is going smooth, we are starting to collect all the pledges this week and are hoping to have everyone paid by the 1st of the month. (lets hope).
The most inportant part is getting the money, second is ordering the baskets, and 3rd is ordering the custom discs.
So far I have earned almost 3 weeks in comp time (more coming this weeekend with this snow coming) so Ill have some time to start as soon as I can get a bobcat on the ground, Some one told me that The Des Moines club might have some forms for our pads, if anyone can confirm this , could you please let me know, this would also save us a little if we dont have to buy any 2x4s.
Have a good weekend everone.
puppetmaster

Postby shane » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 pm

Hey ghost give me a buzz.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 am

W-0-0-t!!!!!!!!! had a mtg last night, ironed our ordering of the custom-stamped discs, ordering baskets through Rusty Murl it sounds like, and having our Grand Opening (with the donors) on June 16th.

I'm sure the course will be installed well before this date, and will be playable - but that's the "grand" thing where we grill out & party w/ the supporters.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:38 pm

OK, Lets hope that I can start in a week or two, matters on how fast it drys up. What I would like to do is plan a Saturday to finish up if I have not compleated everything before May 18th. So if anyone could plan on helping May 19 finish the course, I would be greatful. The ran date will be the next weekend May 26th.
If you plan on helping could you please let me know in an E-mail, mtldetect1@msn.com
Yes the baskets were ordered this week from Rusty's, Same baskets as Pickerts, and our disc sould be ordered sometime this week if everything goes correctly.

This is going to be a 12 hole course with 1 practice basket, hole 4,5,6 and 7 will have a long and a short. The shortest is hole 1 at 200 feet and the longest is hole 7 at 440 feet. The majorty of the shots will be close to a creek, but it does not run much water through it so all disc that go in will be able to be pulled out. I hope that everyone will give it a try, it will not be a top 10 course but it sould be a chalange. Ther will be 4, maybe 6 benches through out the course and 3, maybe 4 garbage cans.

I would like to know what kind of finish on the concrete that everyone would like, broom finish, light broom or heavy or a rough finish, I could also do a smoth finish, but I am planning on pouring all 16 pads at one time so we will be moving right along, and as of right now there are only two of us that I know of.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby shane » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:02 pm

Uhmmm, I hate to braek the news to ya but two of you aren't pouring 16 pads "right along" you really need to round some help up for this. You need at least three guys on a pad pouring and two doing a finish at minimum. It's almost best to have a two different finishers that way your mud don't dry up on ya. Plan a date and start looking for help. If I can be there, I'll come and get dirty with ya but it depends on when you pour.
shane

Postby shane » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:04 pm

By the way I would suggest a broom finish smooth sucks when wet to rough will tear your knees up.
shane

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club