Iowa State PDGA Coordinator 2010 Candidate

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Multi state ripples...

Postby wlbkr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 am

I agree with all about the importance of communication among Iowa TD's and its State Coordinator (SC). However, tournament scheduling conflicts (especially B tiers) are not just confined within the state. Neb, Ill, Kansas, Mo, tournaments affect Iowa tournaments, especially those of us on the borders. I would like to see more communication among the SC of the surrounding states, particularly right after the PDGA majors have been officially set. Sometimes another states touranment, can have ripple affects for Iowa Tournaments. A timely conference call among the surrounding SC would seem to help head off and minimize potential Iowa as well as interstate conflicts. Any thoughts about this?
wlbkr

Re: Multi state ripples...

Postby Clue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm

wlbkr wrote:I agree with all about the importance of communication among Iowa TD's and its State Coordinator (SC). However, tournament scheduling conflicts (especially B tiers) are not just confined within the state. Neb, Ill, Kansas, Mo, tournaments affect Iowa tournaments, especially those of us on the borders. I would like to see more communication among the SC of the surrounding states, particularly right after the PDGA majors have been officially set. Sometimes another states touranment, can have ripple affects for Iowa Tournaments. A timely conference call among the surrounding SC would seem to help head off and minimize potential Iowa as well as interstate conflicts. Any thoughts about this?

Yes, this was my original platform. I'd really like to start working with and not against the surrounding SCs, especially when it comes to the pro players. I'd like for the Iowa guys to travel out of state on a given weekend and then get the out of state crew in Iowa the following weekend. Regardless of if/when this happens, I'll definitely be communicating with the bordering SCs.
Clue

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 pm

How do you guys feel about encouraging not sanctioning tournaments? I know this might not be in the PDGA's interest, however it can be beneficial to certain tournaments, and the disc golf scene as a whole. I'm less inclined to help the PDGA at the cost of the overall benefit to the sport in IA.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:52 pm

that's a double-edged sword though
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Discwrangler wrote:How do you guys feel about encouraging not sanctioning tournaments?

*ding*
Cydisc

Postby shane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Discwrangler wrote:How do you guys feel about encouraging not sanctioning tournaments? I know this might not be in the PDGA's interest, however it can be beneficial to certain tournaments, and the disc golf scene as a whole. I'm less inclined to help the PDGA at the cost of the overall benefit to the sport in IA.

How do you feel about a statewide insurance policy to cover all of these tourneys?
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby O_D » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:30 am

shane wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:How do you guys feel about encouraging not sanctioning tournaments? I know this might not be in the PDGA's interest, however it can be beneficial to certain tournaments, and the disc golf scene as a whole. I'm less inclined to help the PDGA at the cost of the overall benefit to the sport in IA.

How do you feel about a statewide insurance policy to cover all of these tourneys?

If each player signs a waiver agreeing not to sue the City/Owner of the park should something happen, would this still be an issue?
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Golfguy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:14 am

shane wrote:How do you feel about a statewide insurance policy to cover all of these tourneys?

Some cities require proof of insurance and others do not. In Geneseo, they require insurance but our city lawyer said written waivers really don't do much for liability. So, I purchase a personal umbrella policy each year that allows me to name the city as co-insured for the day. I am not a lawyer...but, I do buy insurance for myself. The "club" normally bitched too much about the cost...so, I just buy it.

I would favor a state wide policy.

...not sure how we would cover the cost. But, that could be determined later.
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby Golfguy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 am

Discwrangler wrote:How do you guys feel about encouraging not sanctioning tournaments?

There are several people that question the cost benefit ratio for PDGA fees and such. I think clubs understand that getting on the PDGA calendar is worth the expense, but not all events are worthy of sanctioning due to format or basket quality, so they exist. The question is how to deal with them while calendar planning??

I like what Tanner did with combining all tournaments into one place on IowaDG...that practice must continue. I think the calendar development process does need a complete REVIEW...I doubt we will totally turn it upside down. I just want US to brainstorm ideas without ridicule, then step back and compare ideas, and finally select one of the alternatives we develop. The final product might not even be different to what happens today...I am merely suggesting we evaluate and propose improvement.

As mentioned here previously we are only getting more and more tournaments and conflict is only going to get worse. My vision is some sort of objective method that guides us through the issues without resulting in childish behavior. ( I know I am dreaming...sorry )
Proud Iron Lion Team Member
www.IronLionDGS.com
Golfguy

Postby irban » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 am

O_D wrote:
shane wrote:

If each player signs a waiver agreeing not to sue the City/Owner of the park should something happen, would this still be an issue?

My understanding is waivers don't always hold up in court.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 am

ahem... I think the keyword you guys want to throw around is "change" if you want the american people's votes... :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Detra319 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:42 am

irban wrote:
O_D wrote:
shane wrote:

Waivers actually work quite frequently as the opposite. You are basically acknowledging that the risk is there, but that you knew about that risk beforehand and did it anyway.
Detra319

Postby Like_Water » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Great point Detra.

Another question for you two is, How do you see this forum in regards to the overall disc golf experience in Iowa? Would you like to develop it further? Would you advertise it around the state?

I frequently tell people this is the place to go to connect and be connected. In my mind, it should be in every course message board in the state. Even bordering states.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Clue » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Another question for you two is, How do you see this forum in regards to the overall disc golf experience in Iowa? Would you like to develop it further? Would you advertise it around the state?

I have nothing but good things to say about this site, and I will use it frequently. I hope TDs frequent the site as well, and I would encourage them to do so. But this site is a private business and I would not feel comfortable promoting someone else's business other than positive word of mouth.
Clue

Postby Dale Jordal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 am

Detra319 wrote:
irban wrote:
O_D wrote:
shane wrote:

Waivers actually work quite frequently as the opposite. You are basically acknowledging that the risk is there, but that you knew about that risk beforehand and did it anyway.

Sorry, this conversation is getting away from the thread topic .... however
I will add my 2 cents.

The waiver only somewhat works for the person who signs it ... unfortunatlly if you have an issue that needs the waive, it holds no value for that persons family members or anyone who has an interest in that person. Even it the player does not sue, the waiver does not keep his or her family members from taking leagal action ( they didn't sign this wavier).
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator