The Arboretum

Moderator: Cydisc

The Arboretum

Postby coonmanx » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:36 pm

I just wanted to know if anyone remembers or has ever played the original disc golf course in Ames at the Arboretum. I left Ames back in 1995 to move out here to Colorado. However, back in 1983 when I was in school at Iowa State (makes me old now), we had an 18 hole object course at the Arboretum complete with a par 2 (the sundial) all the way up to a par five.

I really can't remember all of the holes anymore. The first hole played down from the street to the big pine tree across the creek (by the bridge). After that you went up a hill to a big tree on the right. That's when I can't remember any more of the holes.

Anyway, I actually met someone out here who played the course as well. When I played there we only threw with the big 165g Whamos. I remember the first time I saw somebody with disc golf discs. I thought that was just plain weird. Now my home course is Cottonwood Creek here in Colorado Springs.
coonmanx

Postby coonmanx » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm

The crazy thing is that Ames had absolutely no disc golf courses besides that object course while I lived there. Now I know that you guys have two courses and there are a few more not far from Ames. I want to come back and play some Iowa courses.
coonmanx

Postby Cydisc » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:51 pm

I've been in Ames since 1986 when I attended ISU. I never knew of the course at that time. Of course, I didn't start playing until 1996 in Des Moines.

The Arb was one of the sites we considered for the ISU course but it was quickly rejected for the conflicts with runners using the paths in what is now part of the ISU cross country course and other users of the area.
Cydisc

Postby coonmanx » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:24 pm

It was definitely sort of an underground thing that certain people knew about. Many missed classes in order to go play a round. The manhole cover was a hole. I used to be able to recite the entire course. One hole was a par 5 where you could go around or take your chances cutting through the trees along a fence line. If I were there maybe I could remember a few more holes. It's where it all began for me. I miss those days.

That course is one reason I long for courses that have par 4s and par 5s.

Does that mean that you remember Freak Week?
coonmanx

Postby Cydisc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:28 am

coonmanx wrote:Does that mean that you remember Freak Week?

Kinda.
Cydisc

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:59 pm

I remember most of the course out there. Played it all the time!! Loved all the fairways that twisted and turned throughout. I ran the VIESHA tourney there once... wonder if I still have a course map packed away. Golf discs sure made the course easier.
prodiscgolf

The course.

Postby coonmanx » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:24 am

1. Down across the creek to the big pine tree.
2. Up the hill to a tree on the right.
3. I believe there was a shot up the hill farther to the left and through a gap to a tree.
4. Maybe the sundial.
5. Around the corner to the right to a fence post by a trailer.
6. Across the field towards the street.
7. Down along the fence by the street (going South).
8. Around the big group of trees or we had a shortcut along the fence line and through the trees (par 5).
9. Don't remember now.

18. I believe that was back up the hill towards where you started.

I know that the big tree over by the Freak Week site was also a hole.
Manhole cover also a hole.

I have no idea if some of these holes are correct but I do remember what the object was. Anyway, maybe I remember about half of the holes. I never played with the "real" discs.
coonmanx

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:40 pm

I found the drawings/maps from the Arboretum. Send me a PM and I can send you pdf's. I don't know how to post photos here.
prodiscgolf

Return to Ames Club