Putting Practice

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Putting Practice

Postby Detra319 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Do you try to find a form that is easily repeatable so thats its easier to refine? Do you pick a form, and just do that over and over? Or did you try many different things until something felt right? I like my form, as it feels like I can do it over and over, but I'm not certain its the most efficient, or best for longer putts. Figured now would be a great time to talk about this since this insane cold + lots of snow = not much practice :P
Detra319

Postby anubis080 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:50 am

I like to practice both forms. Recently, because it's Winter, I find it easier to straddle putt because I don't slide around as much. I do, however, use the same finger configuration on both though: modified fan grip. I guess whatever feels best at the time. I'm primarily staggered but switched for the season and am practicing that 50/50 with staggered so I get good at it for tough putts in the prime season as well.
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby Ferch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:18 pm

I spent a year putting staggered and then one year straddle. My 3rd year I used both to great satisfaction, all the while hitting jump putts both ways also. I lived at Jones for 3 seasons it seemed and never got any putting advice. I just worked hard on what felt right. Im not the greatest putter in Iowa, but I have all the confidence to hit every putt I come up to. My advice is to do what works for you and work on it alot. When it comes to driving, upshots, or putting, if you don't have confidence in your shot then you will chuck up!!!
Ferch

Postby Detra319 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:02 am

We will call this a bump, since this topic died wayyy earlier than I wanted it to!
Detra319

Postby z-man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:34 am

Detra319 wrote:We will call this a bump, since this topic died wayyy earlier than I wanted it to!

That's cause you posted on a weekend man!!

I have played around with all sorts of stances and grips...what I've found is that you really should become comfortable with a straddle at least...you will need to use it at some point to go around bushes, trees, etc...if that's the comfortable stance then use it, otherwise adapt it into a staggered or straight on stance...again...doing what feels comfortable...

I try to keep my grip and release angle similar across the various stances you can take...but definitely find something that works for you that feels comfortable doing over again and again...smoothness and consistency are the name of the game...

If I'm jump putting...I'm definitely using a straddle...I can get far more oooomph on the disc...but I typically won't jump putt from less than 50 feet or so...inside that I'm usually putting straight on...but that's just my comfort zone...to each their own...

good luck finding what works for you
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby Mad Max » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm

And hear I thought someone was going to have this great indoor practice facility all set up! I'm dying to get some practice in myself. Throwing the discs against the tree out front of the house just isn't the same is it?

8)
Mad Max

Postby anubis080 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Dude go outside! It's nice out :)
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Re: Putting Practice

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Detra319 wrote:Do you try to find a form that is easily repeatable so thats its easier to refine? Do you pick a form, and just do that over and over? Or did you try many different things until something felt right? I like my form, as it feels like I can do it over and over, but I'm not certain its the most efficient, or best for longer putts. Figured now would be a great time to talk about this since this insane cold + lots of snow = not much practice :P

From my experience, some days one style is working and others aren't. Jack Nicklaus said once he goes with what is working that morning on the practice green. To me, this is huge for confidence. When I get out into a round and something is just off, I switch it up...having visualized the change well in advance of any actual putting.

So, I guess I'd advise practicing all the different putts you can. Straddle and a straight putt are my main styles, but I accept every putt as unique.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Re: Putting Practice

Postby z-man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Discwrangler wrote:From my experience, some days one style is working and others aren't.

That's a good point...I too have found this to be the case while out on the course...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby AO » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Since I got out of the HP I've gotten a lot of practice in. Trying to putt for an hour if not 2 a day. Seems like it is all coming together after taking much of the winter off. Follow through is good and I'm really trying to focus on 1 link.
AO

Postby Like_Water » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:08 pm

AO wrote:I'm really trying to focus on 1 link.

This is key. I always pick a link and then try to hit it. Using a single link you can use the whole set of chains to pick your spot depending on wind and other factors.

Using just the pole limits your scope of possibilities.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby z-man » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

Discwrangler wrote:
AO wrote:I'm really trying to focus on 1 link.

This is key. I always pick a link and then try to hit it. Using a single link you can use the whole set of chains to pick your spot depending on wind and other factors.

Using just the pole limits your scope of possibilities.

When I'm putting well I'm usually focusing on one link...in my minds eye...I try to expand that link to the size of a basketball (for example)...and throw my disc through the ring...Visualizing it in this way gives you plenty of room for error and takes the distractions surrounding the basket out of your mental picture...
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 pm

doesn't that require hallucinogenics?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby z-man » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:45 pm

ghstinshll wrote:doesn't that require hallucinogenics?

deep meditation produces similar mind altering capabilities that you would find when hallucinating...so it could be assumed that if your focusing on that link hard enough you are in fact tripping on a very small level...
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby AO » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Last year I took specific notes when I was putting really well. This winter I didn't touch my discs but the last few weeks I started putting again. I've reviewed my notes and focussed on what I was doing and it seems like I haven't missed a beat. The putting feels really good and I'm really happy with it. In recent winters it's taken awhile to shake off the rust. Hopefully I can have a strong start to the season.
AO

Next

Return to Putting Technique