MCHOSE PARK INFO AND UPDATES

MCHOSE PARK INFO AND UPDATES

Postby mkurtz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:41 am

I'LL try to keep people updated about whats happening here.
Mchose park is going into its 4th year . Located in south boone, just north of highway 30 and just west of the walmart. The park actually has 4 entrances. The bottom or west entrance goes back to the intersection of holes 3,4, and 5. The north and west entrances are located just off of park ave.
Going north off of highway 30 ,on the top part of the course you will see three or four landmarks to guide you to hole 1 , teddy roosevelt statue, boy scout cabin and a new restroom facility.
New this year is a permanent course map located on the east side of the restroom. This map gives the setup for the boone course and explains the
"rec" course setup 1,2,12-18. and the lower "expert" course 3-11.
Mchose park has been infested with vandals and more golfers may help scare these "cockroachs" off.
Alot of the signs have been tore down, a basket is gone, spray paint on park property. The latest trick is driving on the soft fareways.
The course has innova disc catcher targets , concrete tee pads and am and pro pad options on most of the holes.
Mchose Disc Golf Park has 8 par 3's,9 par 4's and 1 par 5.

GO PANTHERS
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 am

any news on hole 8's basket?
GDL17921

Postby Clue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:18 am

I think I speak for most of the Des Moines folks when I say that we like the course and would probably play it more if the creek crossings were better and the lower tee pads were done (maybe they have been) and obviously if the 8 basket were replaced.

It's actually one of my favorite courses in the world. I'm glad to see somebody up there cares about it. Stay in touch if you need help with anything. I'd like to help out.
Clue

Postby mkurtz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:50 am

thank you sir for the feedback. i will pass the word on when i can. i haven't talked to anybody on the park board recently. i did fill out a survey they sent about differant areas in boone parks and gave my feedback on what was needed at the boone disc park. i gave them my phone number and said i would be interested in becoming a"friend of the park" as a resource person .
the vandalism worries me, i'm sure they realize its not the disc golfers doing the damage. fact is there is the boone racetrack about a mile away , its a dirt track and people must be out there "practicing".
the park has been closed this past week , most likely to prevent further damage.
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby Cydisc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:13 pm

There is a long-standing problem with vandalism at this park. The latest was someone spinning donuts in the grass and tearing up the sod. They've closed the park to vehicular traffic until the damage is repaired.

The possible solution to most of this is just closing the gravel roads completely and leave the main paved drive open. I will suggest this to them.
Cydisc

Postby mkurtz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm

:)
Last edited by mkurtz on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am

I'm a Des Moines resident up in Ames in the spring and fall for school, and Boone is one of my favorite courses to play. I know more than a few of us in Ames make trips out there as often as possible when the weather permits.

I'd love it if the course could get and stay cleaned up. I know plenty of people that play recreationally that enjoy playing McHose as well, so it isn't just the tourney/league crowd that likes the course.

Clue nailed most of my opinions of the course.
Unity

Postby MrGuru » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:56 pm

McHose is definitely one of my favorite courses, period. The vandalism is annoying, especially the lack of a basket on hole 8, but that won't stop me from making many trips out there this coming year.

During a hot summer day, the lack of bridges at the crossings is actually welcome, for me. It cools my feet off! :)
MrGuru

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:13 pm

mkurtz wrote:clue,
just emailed the boone parks director and used your quotes to show ames and des moines interest in the course .

any word back?

Is there a plan to finish the tees and/or replace the basket on hole 8?
GDL17921

Postby mkurtz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:12 pm

no
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby mkurtz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:13 pm

no
blizzards and wizards
mkurtz

Postby dirtyj » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I have a couple deer cams that take pictures when there is movement in the dark? I bet we would see alot of deer but maybe catch a vandal too. We could at that point give it to the po po or handle it ourselves. I usually try to keep the cops out of things of this nature. I am guessing its some young punks that just need the living shit scared out of them.
dirtyj

More bad news

Postby FastH2O » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 pm

The flooding hurt this course even more. We played it last weekend, and the log bridge across #9 has broken loose from the wire that was strapping it down, and it floated down the creek (which was more of a river last week). At the concrete crossings where it's usually 6-10" deep, it was closer to a roaring 18-24" when we were there. The waterfall was so deep that water only fell about a foot. Still no basket on #8, but at least we didn't find any stolen bicycles in the water this time around!

I really wish the city would put some effort into this course. Without the basket on 8, and the #9 tee washing into the creek and limited water crossings, it's losing it's appeal to play. If these were solved, it's really a fun and challenging course!
FastH2O

Re: More bad news

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:24 am

FastH2O wrote:I really wish the city would put some effort into this course.

not too many courses get "effort" from the city. It takes local volunteers to work with the city to see what is allowed, then just go out and get it done.

If we sit around and wait for Boone, IA Parks and Rec to do something, it will most likely never happen. Somebody needs to organize a workday. I'd be down to help, if there was enough advance notice, and I'm a good 45 minutes to an hour away. You can raise the dough for a new basket with one small fundraiser tourney....
GDL17921

Postby Carter45145 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

There hasn't been much talk about this course lately. Just wondering what was going on with 8 and 9.

Also what condition is the course in overall?
Carter45145

Next

Return to Boone - McHose Park