Collectable Disc Questions/ Ask Chase: On the West Side

Chase and the Iron Lion have your disc golf needs covered.

Moderator: Chase20460

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 pm

Except maybe the 06 usdgc sb rocs, they fly like a seasoned dx
frogawitdafizzle

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:58 pm

i beg to differ, the old school XD, once seasoned with some salt and pepper makes for one vital weapon in the bag. driver, putter, roller, long-mid-short range. everything that is............................the XD

witness!
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:34 pm

whats sad is I think I bought one of these because of some of the lines Ive seen you take at suger, I think stiers tried it too
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Furthur » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:28 pm

Chase,

There's a discussion on dgr about orcs, and the nightshifts were brought up. I think I owned one of these at one point; it was a not pearly totally opaque green/teal disc that was much more grippy and rubbery than the 2005 sb rocs...more like the 2006 spectators, or the current star material.

Are the pearly swirl orcs nightshift? (I'm going with no here)
Green, Red, Blue, any other colors?
Are the black discs that appear to be a precursor to star that were in all sorts of molds also part of the nightshift runs?
Furthur

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Furthur wrote:Chase,

There's a discussion on dgr about orcs, and the nightshifts were brought up. I think I owned one of these at one point; it was a not pearly totally opaque green/teal disc that was much more grippy and rubbery than the 2005 sb rocs...more like the 2006 spectators, or the current star material.

They feel similar, but nothing like the CFR Tulsa SB Orcs. I have a KC Teebird in that plastic also, its different than both the Black Star Proto plastic and the Special Blend plastic.

Are the pearly swirl orcs nightshift? (I'm going with no here) Correct.

Green, Red, Blue, any other colors?
Are the black discs that appear to be a precursor to star that were in all sorts of molds also part of the nightshift runs?

Nightshifts were totally opaque, exactly like the one you described.
Teal, Blue, Red, Yellow are the only colors I have seen, and I assume green = Teal.

The Star protos are different discs. They are just black Star plastic, but were done before they realized they could re-design the whole line around the different mix. Originally, Star was going to go alongside Champion, just for more options. The Nightshift plastic is similar to Star. Closer than Special Blend plastic, anyways. The most common trait they share is both were distributed in random orders, and nobody really knew what the deal with them was. Pat brought 2 back from Iowa City, and those were the first I had seen in person. One was Red and I have it now. Those are by far the rarest of the colors.

There are Yellow Night Shifts out that are just Pro Orcs with Champion stamps. The Yellows are the trickiest to buy online, and even in the hand, if theres only one of each its hard to tell the difference. The Nightshift plaster does appear to feel thicker and less waxy than the Pro. The Teals, Reds, & Blues are obvious.

I was told by Schweb there was less than 600 done, but other people from the factory told me around 300 were sent out.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Furthur » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:03 pm

Thanks man. Great info.
Furthur

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:44 pm

I seen this orange max that only says the max in bold letters. Compared to the one I carry in my bag, it is flat topped no dome like the old monsters. Why is it different and would you throw something like this?
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:04 pm

frogawitdafizzle wrote:I seen this orange max that only says the max in bold letters. Compared to the one I carry in my bag, it is flat topped no dome like the old monsters. Why is it different and would you throw something like this?

What you saw was a USDGC players package Max. All the Max's Ive seen are of the flatter topped versions.

Personally, no, I wouldnt throw it. The one I got from Clay is hanging on the wall of the shop. It isnt for sale....yet.

Chase20460

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:15 pm

I bought one from you, and it is way different from the (the dome) than the orange one
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:I bought one from you, and it is way different from the (the dome) than the orange one

Yeah, your right. I went and looked this morning. The USDGC versions do have a flatter top. Possible its just from the stamping process though.

Chase20460

Postby Furthur » Mon May 07, 2007 10:33 am

Chase, aside from orcs and the small run of roadrunners, were any other discs run during the "nightshift"?
Furthur

Postby Chase20460 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Furthur wrote:Chase, aside from orcs and the small run of roadrunners, were any other discs run during the "nightshift"?

First off, those Roadrunners arent from the same batch as those Orcs. Theres about a 2 year difference in time, Im pretty sure. The Roadrunners were run at or around the same time as Special Blend Wraiths.

Short answer would be no.

I do have a 11x KC Teebird that isnt in traditional Champion plastic, but is more of a "special blend" type of plastic, run around the same time a batch of the Rocs were done. It is in a plastic similar to that of the Special Blend Roadrunners, which isnt a very impressive mix. They are more clear than opaque, but not as clear as standard Champion. No where close to the Night Shift plastic though, that would probably fall more on the new Star Roadrunners.

Chase20460

Postby Furthur » Wed May 09, 2007 12:16 am

So no special blend sidewinders in the 2005 roc plastic then?
Furthur

Postby Chase20460 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Furthur wrote:So no special blend sidewinders in the 2005 roc plastic then?

Sidewinders is a different story. There was a batch of them done in a special blend plastic, but it wasnt the '05 Roc plastic, to the best of my knowledge. Those, Teebirds, Valks, Vikings, and Beasts ( more or less, it think, mold wise ) were done in a plastic the precedes Star. Most were in black and white plastic, I think for a California event and maybe also for Twisted Flyer (?). Some were stamped Champion and became Star Protos.

Chase20460

Postby crazykrug » Sun May 27, 2007 4:16 pm

How about these?

Glow In The Dark Spitfire (can't find any pics)

Areo (has the eagle on it with Discovering The World in the middle and it is see through and yes it is only 136 grams)

XL signed by Scott Stokely
crazykrug

PreviousNext

Return to Iron Lion Disc Golf Supply