Suggestions?

Chase and the Iron Lion have your disc golf needs covered.

Moderator: Chase20460

Postby swan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:41 pm

OK. I imagine I'd have to work around his tourney schedule. I'll drop him a line.

Thanks again Kepp. You playing Sunday? If so, good luck and dress warm.

Also, where do you usually play around town? Leagues? Tourneys?
swan

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Swan, you really should show up Sunday. It's a pretty low key affair, and really more just to raise money for a good cause.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby swan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:48 pm

You'd laugh if I told you why I'm not playing.

Plus I have SB plans already that go all day. Thanks for the invite though. I'll likely be signing up for tourneys later in the year. Although I would be interested in maybe subbing in the handicap league. I should probably just pay my membership fees to stay in the loop, yes?
swan

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm

swan wrote:I should probably just pay my membership fees to stay in the loop, yes?
Well of course you should :wink:

Handicap league is a great way to get "initiated".
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby KePP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:11 pm

swan wrote:Thanks again Kepp. You playing Sunday? If so, good luck and dress warm.

Also, where do you usually play around town? Leagues? Tourneys?

Yup, I'll be there Sunday. Primarily to help out, but hopefully to play, too.

I like to show up to the weekly leagues every once in awhile, but I'm not a regular. Last year I played in the handicap league and it was a blast, I will definitely be doing that again this year. I do more volunteer kind of stuff, just because that's more my place than competing. Even though leagues aren't really competing.

Its all about meeting and playing with different people. I've played in probably ten tournaments in eight years of disc golfing, most of them in the last few years. I like to support the local scene, see familiar faces, and play a round "that counts" with new faces. You really learn a lot, including rules and etiquette. In all the events I've been to, I haven't had one single dickhead in my group. It helps that I suck so I don't play competitively (even tho I get pissed when I suck). I would compare the tournament atmosphere to that of a harley davidson convention: a bunch of friendly people enjoying a similar interest.

As far as "Where", I've played around 150 courses between Iowa, Illinois, and Arizona. When I was first getting addicted to the sport, my brother and I would take weekend road trips to new places like Peoria, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Cedar Falls-Waterloo, Sterling-Rock Falls, etc., and squeeze in as many courses as possible.

By far, the greatest course I've played is West Lake. As for locally, I like to play Middle, Camden, Prospect, and West Lake (WL for special occasions since it costs me about 1-3 discs per round). Outside of the area, Des Moines is hands down the best with Peoria a close second, and Iowa City-Cedar Rapids right there, too. Especially now with Peninsula in Iowa City... that course is a top 5.

I didn't come up with the Harley thing myself, its from this 2004 Forbes article: Spin Cup.

Thomas Jackson wrote:...Although disc golf has existed since the 1960s, it's no longer the exclusive pastime of the West Coast hipsters and college kids who pioneered it. Instead, golf's unruly younger sibling is growing up, joining the mainstream as a respectable version of its former self. It has its own governing body--the Professional Disc Golf Association--which has more than 16,000 members, and there are close to 1,300 courses throughout the United States. There are tknumber companies making discs, and their battles of technological one-upmanship rival those between Callaway, Titleist and Ping. The players here in Phoenix reflect the game's diverse new face: Among them are doctors, truck drivers, lawyers, teachers and entrepreneurs. A disc golf tournament, one enthusiast puts it, "is like a Harley-Davidson convention." ...
KePP

Postby swan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:54 am

That's cool you've gotten to play so many courses. I bet the AZ courses are pretty sweet.

I'm amazed on how many courses there are in the Quads and points beyond. I think it's a great testament to the commitment to the game by the golfing community. I imagine tons of volunteer hours went into setting up those courses and running the events/leagues every year. Good stuff.

Judging from the discussions on these boards, it seems a pretty cohesive and friendly bunch of people. Dig it.

OK, dumb newbie question of the day: WTF does big bead mean when referring to discs?
swan

Postby KePP » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:24 am

The courses in Arizona pretty much suck. The exception to that is Flagstaff, hippie college town among ponderosa forest atop a mountain. 24 courses in the whole state, versus 130 in Iowa.

But I lived in the Phoenix valley, where 4 million people live and there are 8 courses, versus the QC which has a tenth of the population but double the # of courses. The green grass, blowing trees, and rolling hills of the midwest seems to trump man-made parks in a flat desert.
KePP

Postby swan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I would've expected more from the ASU area. I imagine there's only so far you can go in a flat desert with no vegetation.

So how does a Phoenix resident end up back here playing in an Ice Bowl? Are you from here originally?
swan

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:29 pm

swan wrote:That's cool you've gotten to play so many courses. I bet the AZ courses are pretty sweet.

I'm amazed on how many courses there are in the Quads and points beyond. I think it's a great testament to the commitment to the game by the golfing community. I imagine tons of volunteer hours went into setting up those courses and running the events/leagues every year. Good stuff.

Judging from the discussions on these boards, it seems a pretty cohesive and friendly bunch of people. Dig it.

OK, dumb newbie question of the day: WTF does big bead mean when referring to discs?

The bead is on the bottom of the rim, and usaully your talking about a putter. Some have them, others dont. Usaully discs with the bead make for a better approach disc, as it makes the flight a little more overstable. At least thats what Ive always thought of it.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby KePP » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:36 pm

sent ya a PM, swan. Didn't want to talk trash about Chase where he could see it...
KePP

Postby dx pete » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:29 pm

welcome to the QC scene, Swan! While I strongly suggest lessons from a great local resource like Sprague (were fortunate) I also would not hesitate at all to jump on into the game by playing the saturday and/or sunday minis and any unsanctioned events. Just check the threads for times/places. 99.9% of all the players here did the same. We have all skill levels playing all of the time. This is one sport where noobs are overly welcomed, as you will see, you are going to be hard pressed to find someone on your card who won't volunteer advice.

BTW- a mini is a "league" that doesnt hav a running tally of scores etc. In other words you dont have to always be there.
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby swan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:31 am

Hola Pete. Thanks for the heads up and for the kind welcome.

I think those types of games sound great. How many of those tourneys would you say are put together over the course of the year? Are they pretty much planned ahead or thrown together with a weeks notice? I'll definitley keep an eye out for these.

Today's newbie inquiry... Putter distance. What is the popular concensus on how far out you decide to use your putter? Obviously conditions will vary, but where do you draw the line between the putter and another, sharper approach disc?
swan

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:00 am

swan wrote:
Today's newbie inquiry... Putter distance. What is the popular concensus on how far out you decide to use your putter? Obviously conditions will vary, but where do you draw the line between the putter and another, sharper approach disc?

It all depends on comfort and skill level. Putters are pretty easy to throw, but the farther you go out the less the control. For me, if its a calm day and Im 225-250 out, Im looking at my putter, be it off the tee or on a approach. Im pretty comfortable throwing a mid-range or fairway driver if the conditions are crummy. Basically, you start where you can with consistency and learn to go farther back.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby KePP » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 pm

The putter is money for developing your game because it doesn't mask your errors and its also your scoring club.

An indirect answer to your question: use the slowest disc that will reach your target. The faster something is moving, the harder it is to stop with its larger margin of error. Drivers go fast, putters go slow. Once you fall in love with your putter, you will start noticing that even your bad approaches are leaving you with putts. Then you'll notice others using something like a buzzz and watch it land near the pin and then skip 25' away with all the energy it still has. You'll say to yourself I'm glad I understand physics.
KePP

Postby KePP » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:08 am

Another reason to have a SIDEARM: anytime its wet (rain, snow, ice, sprinklers (AZ), dew, hazards, puddles). There were so many times yesterday in the snow that you just couldn't get footing for any sort of a backhand. From a stationary stance, a forehand is easier to throw farther, whereas the backhand relies on a plant/pivot foot, which can be quite difficult when slippery or sloped.

Trees are another reason. When you have to straddle out real far to get around something, giving a little flick of the wrist is sometimes your only option. You don't necessarily need a big Geoff Bennett sidearm drive, just an accurate little flick to get you out of tight spots.
KePP

PreviousNext

Return to Iron Lion Disc Golf Supply