This Video literally just added 100 feet to my drive

Learn to throw from local experts.

This Video literally just added 100 feet to my drive

Postby anubis080 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 pm

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 604&hl=en#

I got this off of the discgolfreview forum. No one thing has changed how far I throw a disc now. It made me realize that I have not been "flinging" the disc at all. It's the middle of winter and I just overshota 420' hole now in all snow gear!

If you are having problems with your distance I highly recommend looking at this video for wrist extension!
"he always flips his nuke ss's over forehand"-Rich
"those are regular z nukes, Rich..."-Andy
anubis080

Postby irban » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Really? You want to bend your wrist that much? I think that guy was getting tendinitis by the end of the video. This looks like one of those things that temporarily adds distance at the expense of injury. Like excessive snap.

My throw never starts "behind" my hand, like he is showing. I try to keep my wrist straight as possible throughout the throw, hoping it acts as a spring, rather than a whip. But I am not that good and have only thrown 420 downhill with a roll at the end. What do others think?

edit: That Bi Moto putting technique I saw on there; now that looks like a game changer.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby anubis080 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:35 pm

so far it feels very natural and I hardly notice any strain on my wrist after going out and trying to for a couple of hours. I feel like I do not have to put in nearly as much force to get the disc to go farther.

Go try it out yourself! I'm sure you will be pleased :)
anubis080

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:33 pm

I cock my wrist back like that when I throw. As long as you're not curling your elbow around the disc it's alright.

edit: after reviewing some video, it's not as far back as that. Maybe halfway between.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Cydisc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:18 am

Scott Stokely (remember him?) always said to keep the wrist like a spring, not necessarily keeping it cocked like that. It would be straight on your pull-back through your chest, bending only when the forearm gets past the body and snapping back straight at release.
Cydisc

Postby anubis080 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I agree with both MDR and Cydisc. This video taught me the importance of using your wrist in the throw. I videotaped myself and compared it to Tommy Gill video and it just blew me away how little I used my wrist: it was all arm speed.

Cydisc, you are completely right in your statement. My motion is the exact same as you just stated.

MDR- I do not cock my wrist as much as shown on the video, but it did show me that I was not cocking my wrist in the slightest in my pull. It will be a work in progress to get a good balance going :)
anubis080

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 pm

I still keep my wrist pretty stiff, for fear of letting it bend to omuch will result in a sprain as I've read from here it causes that over time. I'd say if I do let it move it's maybe 20-30 degrees, jsut to create a little motion to then make that springlike release as irban said... I think keeping it as close to ur chest as tanner & clue have stated before, plus having a good rotational speed by driving through from the hip really make it happen for me.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby anubis080 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 pm

I think I had the rest of the steps covered pretty well. I do think that I was getting the disc out there based on arm speed and hip rotation. I was all-state discus in high school and that is all hip rotation/legs.

Learning to use my wrist more, maybe not a great deal, has definitely moved me past the low 400' plateau I have been on since the past 2 years.

I definitely do not keep a stiff wrist, however. I think that keeping a looser wrist has helped a lot with the spin speed/acceleration of the disc.
anubis080

Return to Throwing Technique