Switching to Power Grip for Drives

Learn to throw from local experts.

Switching to Power Grip for Drives

Postby The Donator » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:23 pm

So I was out with Stibs today at Peninsula and we got on the topic of grips, and he looked surprised when i told him i only use the two finger grip, for every shot except putting. He told me I could probably add distance if I used the power grip. I have tried this grip several times, and every single time i either griplock it, turn it way over into a cut roller, throw it way too high, or all three. Usually its griplocked and takes a while to find. It feels beyond uncomfortable and I just cant figure it out. I tried it today and it did the same thing.

I feel I have sufficient distance and maximum control using the two finger(450-ish max), but would like to add more on more open holes. Plus, its just fun to bomb once in a while. So, just wondering if anyone has switched from the two-finger grip to the power grip and how they did it, or if anyone has any pointers in throwing with the power grip in general. Thankssssss.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:12 pm

I've always thrown with a power grip. With people I've switched from 2 or 3 fingers to power grip, it took them a little while to get used to the timing. But after they did they have noticed great improvements in their distance.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:21 pm

i usually use the 3 finger grip unless i have an open bomb shot(400+), then i switch to the power grip. i wont use the power grip for tunnel shots due to some control issues. if using the 4 finga grip i try to let go at an anny angle to even out the distance.
Abe Froman

Postby z-man » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:38 pm

Here's my two cents...

When I began throwing I started with 2 fingers simply because I knew no better...It felt good and I threw (or so I assumed at the time) pretty well...I moved to Des Moines after school and received many blank stares from people when I told them I only used two fingers...

Long story short...I finally switched to the power grip...It took some time to feel comfortable with it...but I can't even imagine throwing with 2 or 3 fingers anymore...I have far more control and distance with all 4 fingers resting underneath...so...though it may feel awkward...go to a field and practice throwing until it feels natural...you'll thank yourself when it finally clicks...
z-man

Postby The Donator » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:34 am

Thats the thing, ive tried going to a field and practice it, tried it multiple times on the course in different situations, tried any/every release with it, and none have worked. I thought I would be smart enough to figure it out myself, but it seems ive tried everything, must just not be for me.
The Donator

Postby irban » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:41 pm

Maybe that's why you're the Donator instead of the Dominator. Though with a 450' drive, I don't see why you couldn't dominate occasionally (unless that's MBD. :) )
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby The Donator » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:48 pm

The Dominator - LMFAO...still have to do this thing called putting too. But next tourney or mini im going to have to look at some power grips of others, i think my finger placement may be off or incorrect which could throw everything off.
The Donator

Postby flyinplastic23 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm

or you could call it the masturbater....
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby irban » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:34 pm

A woman in my highschool, wasn't on any sports teams, but apparently wanted something to signify her school spirit. Since she was on the debate team, she purchased a letter jacket and had them put the words 'MASTER DEBATER' on the back in big letters. Not joking. You can imagine how that went over, high schoolers being the sensitive sort they are.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby nrapp41 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:38 pm

I started using two fingers also, with a walk up. When I began actually learning how to play i added a finger(3) and the x-step. I have no idea how to throw with my pinkie under the rim, and don't bother trying. So,start out with three maybe and go from there. I would think having more of your hand under the rim would increase accuracy maybe moreso than just distance. Atleast it has for me.
nrapp41

Postby FB32992 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:11 pm

The way I always understood grip is that the more of your hand on the disc the better control you would have.I really couln't put up an argument tho as I have always thrown with the power grip.
"No Chain No Game"
Team Iron Lion
http://www.ironliondgs.com/
FB32992

Postby dx pete » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:18 pm

nrapp41 wrote:I started using two fingers also, with a walk up. When I began actually learning how to play i added a finger(3) I have no idea how to with my pinkie under the rim, and don't bother trying. So,start out with three maybe and go from there.

Nick! What the hell kind of masturbating are you doing? :shock: :D
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby nrapp41 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:46 pm

i hate you pete!
nrapp41

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:20 am

Ahh, the power grip. Welcome to the 90s.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:49 pm

i too, am a two finger kind of guy, in multiple aspects of my life, as for the disc golf side of things, i've gone back and forth between both grips for a while now and i do find using the power grip works best for me on open holes where i can put it on a hyzer line and let disc do the work, it is amazing though when you do use the power grip and you put the disc on a straight line flat out of you hand it's as though that's how steady ed wanted it. also, i would say using the power grip on drives using putters like hard rhynos or wizards and midranges like rocs does give you more distance and control. just my two cents
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Next

Return to Throwing Technique