Max Weight too heavy for me?

Learn to throw from local experts.

Max Weight too heavy for me?

Postby Nohr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:02 pm

So I used to think I could consistently throw 300-350 feet. Now reality is starting to sink in and I think it is more like 250-300 feet. I pretty much throw max weight discs. Up until a couple days ago I was almost always going to my champion teebird. I picked up a couple more disc recently (star beast/teebird). Pretty much throwing them just as long if not longer than my old champion teebird. I want to get alot more distance so my latest crazy thought is stepping down the weight of my discs.

How light is too light? I am really thinking about ordering a couple 170 or 165 teebirds or valkyries.

I know regardless I want to order a couple more star teebirds just so I can go throw 3 or 4 shots with the same plastic/mold to try and figure out what I am doing right/wrong.
Nohr

Postby Captain » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I think that you will find that the lighter the disc, the more understable it is. I think that 170ish discs are great to learn how to throw a flip-ride (disc released on a hyzer angle and as the disc flies, the flight plate changes angle, or flips, to an anhyzer and mpves left to right).

You can hear me preach about lighter weight discs. My favorite driver in my bag is a 170 Star TL. So easy to throw straight no matter what angel you release it.

When it gets windy, put those light discs away.
Captain

Postby IHearChains » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 pm

My arm gets tired noticeably quicker with the max weight so my regular drivers are all in the 168-172 range. Amazing how much difference 5g makes. If I'm going out to a field to throw a lot of practice drives, I'll get consistent practice for longer time if I don't use max weight. It took a ton of practice drives for my backhand to get more consistent. My arm would've fallen off if I practiced that much with max weight.
IHearChains

Postby Nohr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:25 am

Well I ordered a couple 170 gram Valkyries/Teebirds. I guess the thing I really need to do is go out and just throw and throw and throw. Thanks for the advice.
Nohr

Postby Furthur » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:30 am

Captain wrote:I think that you will find that the lighter the disc, the more understable it is. I think that 170ish discs are great to learn how to throw a flip-ride (disc released on a hyzer angle and as the disc flies, the flight plate changes angle, or flips, to an anhyzer and mpves left to right).

You can hear me preach about lighter weight discs. My favorite driver in my bag is a 170 Star TL. So easy to throw straight no matter what angel you release it.

When it gets windy, put those light discs away.

From Dunipace on the pdga forums:

Weight per se is never tied to stability. That is a myth and an artifact of the way we usually mold discs. While it is generally true that lighter discs tend to be less stable than heavier, it is from shrinkage, not weight. The heavier discs are either compacted more or have more filler which causes them to shrink less and therefor generally be more stable. In the case of light Bosses or Destroyers, we use a Star plastic that has less shrink in lighter weights than heavy.

Many of the old mold discs (valk, teebird included) would probably fall into this lighter weight = more shrinkage category, which is why it's easier for people without cannons to throw these discs in the 170 range. I think Innova has messed with it's plastic blends recently to keep the same stability and shape of the disc regardless of weight. I know that the new light Star Bosses have a bit of a different shape to them than the heavier ones, causing them to be a bit more overstable.
Furthur

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:52 am

Dustin, (thanks to advice I received previously on these forums) I preach that 169 is the best weight for most players to throw... Usually straight out of the rack, and then they break in nicely - to give you a seasoned hyzer-flip, or flip-ride (as said earlier) when they break in.
##39027
ghstinshll

Return to Throwing Technique