Reaching back vs. Quickness?

Learn to throw from local experts.

Reaching back vs. Quickness?

Postby johnemus » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:36 pm

I have found when I drive, I get alot more distance when I am just quick all the way through than when I reach back. I'm not sure which one would be better in the end. Right now, when I reach back, Im inaccurate and throw it alot shorter than when I just stay quick all the way through. Part of it could be because thats what I'm used to. I'm not sure, any imput would be nice.
johnemus

Postby Abe Froman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:57 pm

quickness determines spin, which has alot to do with speed. when i drive my motion is slow but i snap my throw with as much force as possible when going for big D. if i reach back too far it'll just slow down my armspeed and result in a wimpy ass drive
Abe Froman

Postby flyinplastic23 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:51 pm

i have always been told that the reach back is important. You can still be quick when you come thru across your chest. Maybe you are inaccurate be cause you are turning your torso too far around. I think I stay pretty much perpendicular to my target when driving and reaching back, I keep a straight arm and come across my chest quick, and pull thru hard with follow thru... make sense?

maybe the pros can explain that better? I think i should have some pics up soon too... look at some of the other pics of the other guys and try to work on that
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Smooth-Arm

Postby KePP » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:36 am

I've always thrown as quickly as possible because it always resulted in big D. But lately I've been doing the "smooth-arm" shot which is slower and more controlled. At first it was shorter and I liked it better for midrangers, but now its already catching up in the D.

When you smooth arm it, you can still get your snap follow-thru at the end. Combining the two is key. Shorter controlled steps, like Chase talked about in his thread on Driving D, are also crucial for consistency, especially when developing a different shot. Lastly, expect your plastic to seem more overstable. Valkyries become Teebirds. Wraiths get tough to flip.
KePP

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:49 am

also, the "run up" throw is overrated. i really see no difference in D. i can just as easy walk thru my drive and get that same D but with more control.
Abe Froman

Postby Mount » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:22 am

I have to disagree there. I don't do well when there are really bad teepads and I cant get a good run up on long shots.
Mount

Postby flyinplastic23 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:46 am

also, the "run up" throw is overrated. i really see no difference in D. i can just as easy walk thru my drive and get that same D but with more control.

i agree with jeremy insert [wow] tags. the reason you are not seeing a big difference distance wise with the "run up" or the x step, is probably because your form changes when you add the x step. you feel more control, etc when you just stand there, because form is all that you are concentrating on. Its understandable, but if your form stays the same when you add the steps,then you will add quickness and momentum to your throw...equalling greater distance.

FORM FORM FORM. this is something that we all should be continually working on

flyinplastic23

Postby Cydisc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Two contrasting schools on distance from two of the biggest arms would be Steve Rico and Shawn Sinclair.

Watching Rico throw just makes my back hurt. His distance is generated from *very* exaggerated reach back and *very* quick arm speed. It's a very fast throw and probably one that will be harder to maintain as he ages.

However, you look at Sinclair and his throw is so easy that you would never expect it to go as far as it does. It looks like any throw you or I would do, but somehow the disc just stays in the air longer.

Sinclair is a former baseball player, which is interesting to note. Most baseball players I know who now play DG are quite long throwers. I suspect they generate their power mostly from the strength in their forearms and wrists. They also know a thing or two about timing from as much ball throwing as they've done.
Cydisc

Postby flyinplastic23 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:48 pm

i am a softball player ( i hit the LOOOOOONG ball), and i believe my power comes from the hips/legs (not forearms and wrists, but you are right about ball players having distance).... softball/baseball players have a good understanding of transfering weight thru the hips..and generating power. Good arm speed too just capitalizes on it (like good bat speed! :) ) just like any sport... Leg muscles, hips thats where power comes from.
Last edited by flyinplastic23 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyinplastic23

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:52 pm

I think ALOT of that is in your head. I was watching Clue do nothing more than shift his mometum and he was 60ft short on hole 10 at Ewing.

A run-up, and giving up on it, is alot like a lifetime sidearm thrower trying to learn backhand. There isnt immediate success so they think they are failing. Like we talked about on the other website, if you just go to a field and work, the distance will come back. When it does, your doing alot less effort for the same thing.

Ive never had a big run-up, and normally, a standard size teepad is enough room for me. In the event of bad weather or short boxes, I can take a 2-3 step walk-up and throw about the same distance. I think its probably a better- more true shot, but mentally I dont feel like Im putting enough on it.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:57 pm

I agree with the baseball player analogy. Ive reccomended to several people to swing a mini bat left handed, eventually dropping the top-left hand and going to a one handed swing motion.

I throw right handed, but do everything else with my left. I batted left-handed ( switch, actually. ) and the transition to disc golf throw was made very easily.

It also made sidearms easy, as I could pitch sidearm.

Curl-Hopping has also found its way into my drive ( sometimes ) and into a thumber here and there.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby flyinplastic23 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:03 pm

oh i for sure "crow" hop when i throw over hand.

also with the hips/legs, baseball players this will make sense, when transfering the weight from the reach back to throwing and follow thru... SQUISH THE BUG!

flyinplastic23

Postby Cydisc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:13 pm

flyinplastic23 wrote:i am a softball player ( i hit the LOOOOOONG ball), and i believe my power comes from the hips/legs

You are exactly right. But I do think that strength in the forearm and wrist gives it a little extra. Just like they help getting the bat around.
Cydisc

Postby Cydisc » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:17 pm

Chase20460 wrote:I was watching Clue do nothing more than shift his mometum and he was 60ft short on hole 10 at Ewing.

Clue is an anomoly and should not be used for reference.
Cydisc

Postby flyinplastic23 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm

well it doesnt hinder... I think that it (wrists, forearms) mostly helps with snap which helps with finesse and spin, but as far as power, its all legs. I am a great hitter, and i think a decently good driver, wrists and forearms arnt where i put my focus, but then again a lot this has come naturally to me from being a hitter. I really concentrate on getting my hips activated and making sure that i follow thru hard ending with my weight forward.... if you are keeping your arm in tight, you naturally pick up arm speed... then just pull it thru.

i also notice when i first started throwing a disc i was relying on my arm, and thats when it would hurt, when i made the mechanics connection with swinging a bat the pain went away and i was left with distance.
Last edited by flyinplastic23 on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyinplastic23

Next

Return to Throwing Technique