Pulling my drives right.

Learn to throw from local experts.

Pulling my drives right.

Postby nrapp41 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm

I am right handed and throw primarily backhand. I seemed to have developed a bad habit of pulling my drives to the right of where I am aiming. I think this is a result of two things, out of shape legs thus causing me to turn my hips more to compensate. Also I may not be fully extending my arm outward when I release. Any suggestions from all you pros?
nrapp41

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:53 am

Throw with more hyser, as in tilt of the disc before release, not as in line of the shot.

When I hang onto a disc for just a split second too long, it results in about a 30-40ft error in where the shot will finish, always landing right of the basket. Those shots typically are some of the farthest I have thrown and I once thought to counter it by throwing really beefy discs. In the end I just worked on throwing with a bit more hyser and timing. I also tried to focus on not ripping it as hard as I could, focusing more on a smooth shot, with accuracy. Distance followed shortly after.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby karma27895 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:15 pm

im no pro but i couldnt say it any better
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby tbw_10130 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 pm

I'm no pro, but I have suffered from the same pulling to the right problem. There a variety of things that can make you pull right, your suggestions and Chase's offer a few things to consider.

Additionally, you should consider are you pulling STRAIGHT through the shot? I've found that sometimes when I'm pulling right, I feel like I'm just opening my hips early, but really I'm wrapping the shot around a bit instead of coming straight through across the chest.

Solution (if this is your problem): Throw several shots where you concentrate on pulling your ELBOW through on your target line from your reach back position. You'll come through straight and your timing should be a lot better.
tbw_10130

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:46 am

I totally agree with what tbd is saying, with the exception that Ive played countless rounds with Nick, both good and bad. He has excellent form and great distance, but I really think its a matter of timing.

How were things at Camden on Tuesday, Nick?

Chase20460

Postby nrapp41 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:33 pm

thanks for the suggestions fellas. i'll see what i can do. as for tuesday, my partner (Donny from geneseo) played really well. what the heck happened to your card? glo golf?
nrapp41

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:02 pm

Yeah. I guess. Round went kinda slow.

Chase20460

Postby nrapp41 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:51 pm

Big thanks chase. After thinking about it, conceptualizing it, and throwing some boxes around at my job, I realized what you meant completely. When I got out and threw this evening I seemed to remember how to throw. I think I developed a bad habit of pulling most of my shots too flat into their "lines", with my wrist slightly cocked up and flat. This caused my forearm to turn slightly up during the release, thus resulting in a later release point, I believe.
Focusing on throwing with more of a hyzer release, my wrist felt loose, the throw felt natural and the disc seemed to "bound" toward the target.
I was able to really get ahold of a couple hellatious bombs, too. However, my adrenaline might have played a role in that. anyways thanks again, i'll rap(not a pun) with you on sunday, I think.
nrapp41

Postby Furthur » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:40 am

I'm no pro, but Blake of discgolfreview.com states that if you're starting your pull through before you put your pivot foot down, you'll often release to the right of your aim point, if you're right handed. I have been working all summer to correct this problem, and get it out of my technique for good.
Furthur

Postby irban » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:10 pm

Furthur wrote:Blake of discgolfreview.com states that if you're starting your pull through before you put your pivot foot down, you'll often release to the right of your aim point, if you're right handed.

This is a really good tip. I have been paying attention to getting my foot down before starting my turn and it works to help bring the throw into balance. This is one of those things that I do right one day and wrong the next, and don't know what I am doing different. The timing between the parts of the shot is critical, but can be hard to remedy when it is off. I like this tip because it is simple to remember and implement.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Return to Throwing Technique