New Player Distance Tips

Learn to throw from local experts.

Postby Clue » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:12 pm

If you can't throw one 350, then you can't throw one 350. There isn't a magic flight pattern or stability that will get there. Just throw them straight and under control. As you get more comfortable and confident in what you can do with it, the distance will come through repitition.
Clue

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:51 pm

That was a good post Clue, and something I didnt bring up before, but wish I had..."flat footed" driving. What Clue is saying is totally correct about no movement throws. Its what I reccomended to my girlfriend, as she was always ready to jump ahead to the X-Step. Really, you can throw a excellent shot time after time by not moving and just staying put. However, like Clue said, you will sacrifice some to get to the point where you are comfortable shifting your weight back and forth and using THAT momentum instead of run-up momentutm. I can throw about 300' from a dead standstill, extending my arm and shifting weight. 1-2 steps in and it goes to about 350'. I use a short run -up for anything farther.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby Chase20460 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:58 pm

Mount wrote:How do people throw thier rocks like 350'<? I have thrown rocks and I know that I can't do it. Are they just really understable and just sit flat, or are they beefy and you throw them on a flip?

I have not personally thrown one that is really that beat at all because of the fact I get fed up with them before they get that way.

300-330, yeah. There arent that many people reaching 350' with thier Rocs unless theres additional help. Buzzz are a little different as they tend to carry more glide. I dont try to throw my Roc any farther than I feel comfortable, which without help is around 330 max. I think KC Rocs and some of the Glos are torque resistant enough for me to get them farther, but why? I have a Leopard. Being able to throw a midrange WITH control over 350' is impressive, but most people are sacrificing accuracy. IMO.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby karma27895 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:20 pm

imo there is really no reason to try and throw a rock that far just use a kc pro teebird if you dont try to muscle it out there on a little hyzer and watch it go 300 ft on a strait line finishing just a little left of the basket
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby geoffreylaw » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:52 pm

Buy a Wraith, it goes really far:)
geoffreylaw

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:38 pm

Hey all... I MAY not be the authoritative rep on this, but I hope to add some light from a rec player's perspective.

When I began throwing, I coudl never throw my drives past 225, because I wasn't strong enough, hadn't developed those muscles. I paid attention to my pull back, shift of weight, and then threw. As I threw more, I gained the strength & got my release angle down, etc...

Here's what I try to teach new people, which is like a pitcher on a mound would do, by standing sideways, pointing @ the backet w/ the disc... reach back nearly 180 degrees, and lift my front leg up a little to simulate that shift of weight. Then I preach a chest-high release (almost the hardest partt o remember), and releasing @ the proper point... And it always depends on the person as to exactly when that release is just right, etc...

Once you can hit 200'+, to 250+ consistently w/ a Stratus, Teebird, Eagle, or what-not, then it's time to start walkign the X-step SLOWLY... Doing it slowly over weeks (mayb months if you dont play enough), will get you used to the steps, and confident in turning your back on the basket, without throwing the whole "twinkle-toes coordination" in there yet, as it WILL screw up a newbie. LOL Anyway, I was getting pretty good without a run=up with this method until I decided to start tryign a real run-up @ the end of the summer.

And my final tip is to have a few cheap discs on hand, and a good practice field. I don't kknow how many nights I would throw #10 @ Ewing in DSM, or hit the local soccer fields on the way home or whatever...

One final tip: getting through the "curve" in y our drive... Pulling across your chest is SO important, but sometimes there might be a bit of a mental block as to what you're seeing as you throw, causing you to throw wrong. Realizing that if you release early careates anhyzer, and late creates hyzer, combined with visualizing that throw staying low & flat past the 150' mark is difficult for some beginners to master. As you get confortable with that you're doing, start throwing harder, and re-teach yourself each step of the way as you challenge yourself in your throws. Your pull through, release point, release angle, etc, will all change as you go through various stages of development...

But most of all, stick with what you know, and grow into that drive, don't expect too much, and play within your level for the time being, and always keep your interest in learning more, because no matter who you are - there willa lways be MORE to learn down the road!

Ok, hope this wasn't TOO long, if anyone feels like I need to edit this & add detail/remove anything stupid, PM me and I'll think about what should be said! LOL Maybe Chase could keep copies of this thread in his shop for beginners to read, etc... Actually, I ought to do the same w/ my dept @ Scheel's! (-:
##39027
ghstinshll

Previous

Return to Throwing Technique