Herd golf (sucks)

Herd golf (sucks)

Postby shak » Thu May 08, 2014 8:20 am

Last night there was a group of herd golfers slowing the entire course down. We waited on every teepad after hole 10 and it was all because that herd backed everyone up behind them. It's not like I could ask them to play through either, we were stuck about 4 or 5 groups behind them. When they were teeing off on 15 they had a bunch of groups stacked behind them with the rest of the course wide open in front of them, which is probably how it had been for awhile. I understand that if a course is crowded a round will take longer and that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is a bunch of people playing in a huge group and slowing an entire course down when there's a bunch of open holes in front of them. I didn't see them let anyone through either. I guess besides venting about how stupid and inconsiderate it is to play in a large group when a course is crowded I'm wondering if I'm the only one who HATES this herd golf concept?

tl;dr: When a course is crowded herd golf sucks. Please stop this nonsense.
shak

Re: Herd golf (sucks)

Postby KePP » Thu May 08, 2014 8:39 am

If you get caught in the herd again, you could think of it as practicing tournament pace of play. That's one thing that kind of sucks at big events is how much time is spent waiting around.
KePP

Postby irban » Thu May 08, 2014 10:48 am

Well, courtesy is to play smaller groups. They won't typically let you have more than a foursome in ball golf for this reason. Either stand aside and let all groups behind you play through, which is problematic when there are a bunch of groups behind you, or break up into smaller groups.

Kind of different in disc golf though. Some of those herds of rec players go pretty fast, because they all run ahead of each other and throw simultaneously. :)
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Beerman » Thu May 08, 2014 11:12 am

That herd your speaking of picked up 4 bags of trash and probably 200 sticks out of the fairways. Oh and we play there every Wednesday at 530.
Beerman

Postby shak » Thu May 08, 2014 11:22 am

Beerman wrote:That herd your speaking of picked up 4 bags of trash and probably 200 sticks out of the fairways. Oh and we play there every Wednesday at 530.

Great, and I sincerely appreciate that. I picked up trash for many rounds at my home course in Newton but I didn't do it while playing in a large group that held everyone up.
shak

Postby tsquared_23187 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 am

Your about to get whooped up by the herd there Shak. It sucks to wait that's for sure but not everyone has time to wait while a herd of golfers are playing at their own pace. It's either let a group play through while being social and as friendly as possible or break into smaller groups. We all are ambassadors to grow the sport and to teach new comers the proper eticate. IMO
tsquared_23187

Postby Beerman » Thu May 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Im not here to debate the herd group mentality. You either like it or you don't. What I can tell you is next week at 530 there will be a herd of golfers teeing off at gv. If your wanting to join us be there around 515.
Beerman

Postby shak » Thu May 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Beerman wrote:Im not here to debate the herd group mentality. You either like it or you don't.

I'm not debating the herd group mentality either. Play in a herd group all you want. I'm saying that it's not very considerate to hijack a course that is crowded and force everyone to play at your glacial pace or join up with a 12some or more. The fact that you do great work picking up garbage and limbs doesn't make Grandview your group's private course. Other people are on the course and don't really want to play a 2.5 hour round at Grandview because of one large, slow group. We had two groups stacked up on every teepad from hole 13 through 18 last night.
Thanks for the invite and keeping it civil. I brought this up on the chance that someone in the group would see it, realize the effect it has on everyone else, and decide to split into smaller groups on crowded nights but obviously that isn't going to happen so I'll just avoid Grandview on Wednesday evenings from now on.

Brian Marshall
shak

Postby diskey river » Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 am

So you guys are proud about not letting smaller groups play through? Everyone hates the giant group taking there sweet ass time not letting anyone play through.
diskey river

Postby tufluk » Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 am

A group (or all who are waiting) could bypass the "Herd" and play at an even more glacial pace. Give 'em a taste of their own medicine. "cept that does defeat purpose.
Or, could bypass and play quickly, leaving them behind. Play 17 holes or come back and play skipped hole.
And yes, I pick up litter and do some course work. Do not feel entitled to screw guys over because of that.

As for keeping it civil? I think that was a veiled way of saying "Go screw yourself, we're doing it again Wednesday." Never did want to wear a veil.
tufluk

Postby Beerman » Fri May 09, 2014 12:54 pm

I love message boards. You all take one persons opinion of what happened and assume that you have all the facts.
Beerman

Postby shak » Fri May 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Beerman wrote:I love message boards. You all take one persons opinion of what happened and assume that you have all the facts.

I'd like to hear some other facts that you might have about it. The facts I have are: your group numbered around 12, your group caused a huge backup on the course, I had 2 groups on every teepad from hole 13 on, I didn't see you let anyone through. The only opinion I offered was that I think it is inconsiderate to the other disc golfers on the course.

Anyway, I'm fine with the resolution being "you're going to do it anyway, I'll avoid Grandview on Wednesdays". I offered my opinion on it. I can't make your group do anything they don't want to do.
shak

Postby Proc » Fri May 09, 2014 4:40 pm

I think all the facts are accurate from both sides. I was there. I didn't actually see anybody in the herd gathering garbage or sticks, but honestly I believe they did. I did, however, witness all the other facts put forth, too. The herd held up the course as stated. It sucked, but now I know the course is going to be slow every Wednesday. I'll either not play, start before 5:30, or jump ahead of the herd.
Proc

Postby Beerman » Fri May 09, 2014 5:17 pm

There were a total of 10 of us that started the round on hole 1 and only 7 of us playing the back 9. For the first 5 holes there was no one behind us so we didn't slow anyone down. On hole 5 we take a break and the one 2 some that caught us was allowed to play through. Again no one else was behind us for the remaining front 9. We take about a 5 minute break there and i don't recall anyone catching up there. We made it to hole 13 with out anyone behind us again. It took about 10 minutes for someone to come up on us on hole 13 which we allowed a 2 some play threw and while we were waiting on them a 4 some was finishing up12 so we were going to let them play threw but they declined. Now from 13 on we probably did slow things down because that part of the course requires you to wait on the group ahead of you to finish a hole before you throw your drive. We allowed a single play threw on 15 and a group caught us on the last hole after we threw or drives and we didn't allow them to play through because it was the last hole.
Beerman

Postby Barry A Cackener » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:01 am

If you don't like herd golf , and waiting on a herd , then don't play gv in the evenings Monday through Friday ,GV , it is the most played course in dm. I have never in my years of golf had someone tell our group we couldn't play through when we have asked . We have also let every group that catch up to us play through , and we in the gvcc herd if we want .On a side note golf is a game of patience , if you have none maybe another sport would suit you better.

You will never wait as long during a rec round as you do a tournament , prolly should avoid them too !
live laugh love blow me
Barry A Cackener

Return to Des Moines - Grandview Park