Playing on the weekend

Playing on the weekend

Postby SoCal19 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Wow, it's pretty much impossible to play this course on the weekend with all the public foot traffic. Don't they understand they're sitting in the middle of a fairway!!!!!!!!
SoCal19

Postby batlord » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Nope, the general public doesn't even realize there'sa course there yet, let alone that they're in the way. We're going to try to work on some signage for those troublesome holes when we look at pouring tee pads. The hope is that once the course is up and running more permanently (and obviously), that people will begin to see where the fairways are and might be more likely to steer clear of them. Until then, disc golfers have to give the right of way to the other park users (rather than throw into them). Technically, we're using THEIR park, even though it seems like they're interfering with our sport. Please keep that in mind.
batlord

Postby Single L » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:19 pm

batlord wrote:Nope, the general public doesn't even realize there'sa course there yet, let alone that they're in the way. We're going to try to work on some signage for those troublesome holes when we look at pouring tee pads. The hope is that once the course is up and running more permanently (and obviously), that people will begin to see where the fairways are and might be more likely to steer clear of them. Until then, disc golfers have to give the right of way to the other park users (rather than throw into them). Technically, we're using THEIR park, even though it seems like they're interfering with our sport. Please keep that in mind.

I foresee Hole #2 always being a problem. It's a prime picnic/fishing area. The other holes should be a simple "heads up".
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby KePP » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:03 pm

I don't think the public will ever become aware. I think of Conocido park in Phoenix - a little 9 basket (18 hole) course which the same neighborhood people walk through everyday and still don't pay any attention to the disc golfers or the fairways or the baskets. - and its an open, small park. West Lake constantly has fresh faces, and the park just begs for a walk around the lake and trails.

I think pedestrian traffic will always be an issue here... but at the same time, most golfers who have the skills to play West Lake also have the etiquette (read: non-chuckers) to be smart and yield to pedestrians.

I posted a few of these stickers around Phoenix. I like to take a sharpie and sribble a basket on the left side.

KePP

Postby Single L » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:01 pm

batlord wrote:Technically, we're using THEIR park, even though it seems like they're interfering with our sport. Please keep that in mind.

I really like this point. It is a county park with a disc golf course, county park comes first. All who play need to remember this, we need to show what a great sport this is. Yes I can hear all you QC Disc Golfers saying we showed it with the rumble the last two years. But remember that chuckers and recreational play are what make or break a course.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby batlord » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:17 am

Well said, Porkchop...
batlord

Postby SoCal19 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:39 pm

Don't encourage him.
SoCal19

Postby KePP » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:21 am

Played at WL with covey on Sunday. There was a huge group of people getting tanked and throwing horseshoes on hole 3 making it unplayable. Perfect excuse for me to not have to throw it and just take the 4 that I wouldn't have gotten. That same group was also on the teepad for 15. We just threw from closer to the outhouse/road... same basic drive.
KePP

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:48 am

good call...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 am

Stopped by yesterday and the public is still oblivious to our game.

Holes 3 and 11 were never going to be played. Hole 2 was pretty dangerous for those fishermen. :oops:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Mon May 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Discwrangler wrote: Hole 2 was pretty dangerous for those fishermen. :oops:

Still throwing in the shule on the right? :lol:
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Return to Davenport - West Lake