Favorite Hole

What is your favorite hole at West Lake?

Hole 5 (826') 1st Dam Hole
7
20%
Hole 8 (275') Uphill narrow anny
0
No votes
Hole 12 (564') Downhill, trees on right, water at bottom
3
9%
Hole 13 (870') 2nd Dam Hole
4
11%
Hole 16 (470') Narrow between road and campers
0
No votes
Hole 18 (780') Dogleg tunnel
5
14%
Hole 20 (514') Uphill bowling alley
0
No votes
Hole 21 (642') Downhill blind anny
6
17%
Hole 23 (565') Long scenic shot downhill by water
9
26%
Other (please specify)
1
3%
 
Total votes : 35

Favorite Hole

Postby KePP » Thu May 17, 2007 11:28 am

05-Image 08-Image 12-Image

13-Image 16-Image 18-Image

20-Image 21-Image 23-Image
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Postby KePP » Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 am

Image
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Postby KePP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Has everybody whose played West Lake voted on their favorite hole? (also known as *bump*)
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Postby KePP » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:40 pm

I'm surprised to see 30% votes for Hole 23. I would've thought someone might say Hole 12 over Hole 23.
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Postby batlord » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 am

very interesting results, Kepp... very interesting...
User avatar
batlord
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Postby KePP » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Hole 2 could definitely be an option even though its one of the shortest on the course. 3 and 15 could be options, too. What an awesome course.
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Postby Chase20460 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:48 pm

I choose 13. I think its not only the most challenging, but also is the most neutral.

What I think a month+ in:


I like Hole 1 alot, but personally, think it would be better about 40ft shorter than it is. It becomes easier, but isnt in the horseshoe pits. It also makes going down the middle alot more viable than the hyser shot. Thumber does come into play there though, but still keeps it a tough 3.

Like 2, but hope they keep the middle gap open.
Love 3, but hope it gets a solid flat teepad and the grills get moved.
Like 4.
Love 5, but again, hope the teepad gets done right. Flat.
Like 6
Like 7
Like 8, but again, hope the groomers keep the left side open.
Like 9, but not the teespot.
Like 10, but not through the picnic area. Hopefully that changes.
Like 11," "
Like 12 alot. It is what it is. A Sick hole.
Love 13. By far the most challenging and fair hole on the course.
Like 14, but am not in love with it. Could be alot better.
Love 15. Another signature hole.
Like 16, but think that it could be improved with grooming.
Like 17, but think people want it to be easier than it needs.
Love 18, even though it has my number. Hoping for a FLAT teepad.
Like 19, its starting to grow on me.
Love 20, but think it will need to be maintained.
Love 21, and I play it terrible. Everytime.
Like 22, it fits.
Love 23. Yet but another Signature hole.
Like 24. Some of the lower branches could be taken down. Flat Tee.


Still love this course no matter how much plastic it costs me. I talk about the tees alot, as after playing Middle today, it seems like half the tees are pointed downwards. Its something pretty simple I hope gets done correctly. Not saying I could do any better than the folks at Middle, at all, just pointing it out.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby batlord » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Chase20460 wrote:I choose 13. I think its not only the most challenging, but also is the most neutral.

What I think a month+ in:


I like Hole 1 alot, but personally, think it would be better about 40ft shorter than it is. It becomes easier, but isnt in the horseshoe pits. It also makes going down the middle alot more viable than the hyser shot. Thumber does come into play there though, but still keeps it a tough 3.

Like 2, but hope they keep the middle gap open.
Love 3, but hope it gets a solid flat teepad and the grills get moved.
Like 4.
Love 5, but again, hope the teepad gets done right. Flat.
Like 6
Like 7
Like 8, but again, hope the groomers keep the left side open.
Like 9, but not the teespot.
Like 10, but not through the picnic area. Hopefully that changes.
Like 11," "
Like 12 alot. It is what it is. A Sick hole.
Love 13. By far the most challenging and fair hole on the course.
Like 14, but am not in love with it. Could be alot better.
Love 15. Another signature hole.
Like 16, but think that it could be improved with grooming.
Like 17, but think people want it to be easier than it needs.
Love 18, even though it has my number. Hoping for a FLAT teepad.
Like 19, its starting to grow on me.
Love 20, but think it will need to be maintained.
Love 21, and I play it terrible. Everytime.
Like 22, it fits.
Love 23. Yet but another Signature hole.
Like 24. Some of the lower branches could be taken down. Flat Tee.


Still love this course no matter how much plastic it costs me. I talk about the tees alot, as after playing Middle today, it seems like half the tees are pointed downwards. Its something pretty simple I hope gets done correctly. Not saying I could do any better than the folks at Middle, at all, just pointing it out.


Thank you, Chase. This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I'm going to need in the upcoming month or two before we start making the tee pads permanent. (I also put my response post the bottom of YOUR post to make you happy.)

If other people want to chime in or go out to west lake and play a round of golf with me, shoot me a pm. I love hearing input on these holes, especially people's concerns for the future of the course. I appreciate anything people have, even if it's negative input. I can't guarantee I can make a change at this point, but I'm open to hearing what it is that worries/angers you.

Chad
User avatar
batlord
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Postby batlord » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Now, I'll try to address each one of these issues. I'll make an attempt, but can't guarantee it, since I'm at work...

Chase20460 wrote:I like Hole 1 alot, but personally, think it would be better about 40ft shorter than it is. It becomes easier, but isnt in the horseshoe pits. It also makes going down the middle alot more viable than the hyser shot. Thumber does come into play there though, but still keeps it a tough 3.
Hole 1 may have to change tee position, like you said. we may have to move it forward about 40 ft, but that bums me out because then you don't have two different choices from the tee. I like letting people "think" the hyzer is there - even I throw it. But if the parks won't let us relocate the horseshoe pit, then we have no choice but to shorten the hole.

Chase20460 wrote:Like 2, but hope they keep the middle gap open.
We should be able to keep the middle gap open, especially with shot helping clear that bush on the front bank of the penninsula. It shouldn't be a problem.
Chase20460 wrote:Love 3, but hope it gets a solid flat teepad and the grills get moved.
That's the plan, to cut into the side of the hillside and make it as level as possible. According to PDGA specs, we are allowed 1inch of slope for every foot of length - if the tee pad is 12 feet long, we can slope it 12 inches from front to back. We shoudl be able to conform to that regulation without any problems. We're trying to figure out a "better' place to have those grills. If ANYONE has any suggestions, please let me know what they are.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 4.
Wurd.
Chase20460 wrote:Love 5, but again, hope the teepad gets done right. Flat.
The tee pad will be done permanently and done according to the county code, so it should be pretty nicely done. We may have to bear with it for the time being though. If you look at the photos from last year, it's already better than it was. I had no idea it was that sloped sideways last year - yikes.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 6
Wurd.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 7
Wurd.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 8, but again, hope the groomers keep the left side open.
Not sure what you mean, but I'm hoping this hole doesn't change all that much.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 9, but not the teespot.
I agree, but there aren't many options. It will likely be the pro tee pad that we're using right now and the short pad will go at the bottom of the gulley and take out the hyzer shot. That's the "plan" anyway. Should we move it back across the road or forward? Not sure what our options are with that one.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 10, but not through the picnic area. Hopefully that changes.
Picnic tables will constantly have to be relocated. Unless we can get the parks people to chain them up where they can't be moved. It might be an option. I haven't addressed this one with the parks folks yet.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 11,
Same things with the picnic tables.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 12 alot. It is what it is. A Sick hole.
I love this hole as well. We'll get the tee as non-sloped as possible as well.
Chase20460 wrote:Love 13. By far the most challenging and fair hole on the course.
This hole makes me smile whenever I'm on the tee. That doesn't happen very often.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 14, but am not in love with it. Could be alot better.
After the long walk from 13, that's really the best spot for the tee pad. I think if we get it levelled off a bit, it might "feel" better. Plus the opening going up the hil will widen and be a little friendlier to folks as well. I'm open to suggestions though... There's a real nasty Tim Miller/Prairie Park trail we could use as a fairway on the right hand side... ha ha
Chase20460 wrote:Love 15. Another signature hole.
Oddly, it's not my favorite. I did what I could with it. This tee pad may change position with the playground possibly expanding. I'm checking up on this.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 16, but think that it could be improved with grooming.
Not sure how much "official" grooming we'll do with this one, but I have a feeling some discs will do the work for us on this one in a few months. The ceiling will lift a bit.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 17, but think people want it to be easier than it needs.
I agree with you Chase. I don't intend to do any more cutting on this hole EVER. Let it grow back a bit, I say.
Chase20460 wrote:Love 18, even though it has my number. Hoping for a FLAT teepad.
Will work to get this tee pad as flat as possible. Shouldn't be a problem though. I think this one is my personal favorite.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 19, its starting to grow on me.
I "accidentally" pushed the pin back when we installed this one, so it's a bit more challenging than I one remember. What do people think about leaving the current tee pad as the Am pad and moving the pro pad back across the bridge and on the other bank? Just an idea I had before I put it on the mini-landing strip. Would anyone EVER play the hole from there, except for tournaments? Is it just too dick-ish?
Chase20460 wrote:Love 20, but think it will need to be maintained.
I originally thought that, but after seeing it the past couple of years, they actually maintain it pretty much as you saw it for the event. It kind of takes care of itself and will continue to do so, especially with some regular play stomping down the fairway grass a bit.
Chase20460 wrote:Love 21, and I play it terrible. Everytime.
I love this hole as well. I'm too chicken to go for the three unless I'm throwing someone else's discs - ha ha.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 22, it fits.
I used to think of this as a filler hole, but it's harder than it looks. It grew on me pretty quickly.
Chase20460 wrote:Love 23. Yet but another Signature hole.
Dang, do we have too many signature holes out here, Chase? We should cut a couple of holes into two and make a 27 holer. This hole is fun to sit at the tee and watch the big arms throw.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 24. Some of the lower branches could be taken down. Flat Tee.
This tee should end up pretty much flat, so it shouldn't be much of a concern. The low hanging branches might be cleaned up a bit, but the thinner ones that you can't see (yet snag my shots all the time) will hopefully be beat down.


Chase20460 wrote:Still love this course no matter how much plastic it costs me. I talk about the tees alot, as after playing Middle today, it seems like half the tees are pointed downwards. Its something pretty simple I hope gets done correctly. Not saying I could do any better than the folks at Middle, at all, just pointing it out.
Please, Chase, talk about the tees all you want. I never once looked at green design until you started me on the bandwagon. (I hope I did as many of the greens justice as I could out here at West Lake.) I think the tees at Middle were sloped on purpose for drainage. I could be wrong about that. If it rains or mud spills in, the water needs to have some sort of run off possibility rather than sitting stagnate. I'm hoping we can do this easily when we go to pour concrete. But we'll keep an eye on it. I hope that helps.
User avatar
batlord
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Postby batlord » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:36 pm

As far as tees are concerned, someone mentioned pouring the trapezoidal tee pads with an extension on the front to stop the erosion from follow through. So the tee pads would be 12 feet long, 6 feet at the back and 4 feet at the front. And then the front would have a 1 foot "tab/extension" on it for your follow through. The front tab would be 4 feet wide (like the front of the regulation tee) and could be painted/dyed red or something so people know what it's for.

Does anyone feel strongly for this or against it?

Keep in mind, digging and making the wooden forms for these would be a nightmare. However, if it's worth it, then we might be able to take a little time and build these things right the first time. The forms are the hardest part of the concrete project, just so you know.

Just asking for more input on this one.
User avatar
batlord
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:23 pm

I like the idea of the trap tees, mainly because of the issues of tee fall off. I dont do it often at all, if ever, but think its a good idea.

I think little should be taken for granted and much explored on every issue out there. I just think the course is THAT good.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby Chase20460 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:51 pm

batlord wrote:Now, I'll try to address each one of these issues. I'll make an attempt, but can't guarantee it, since I'm at work...

Chase20460 wrote:I like Hole 1 alot, but personally, think it would be better about 40ft shorter than it is. It becomes easier, but isnt in the horseshoe pits. It also makes going down the middle alot more viable than the hyser shot. Thumber does come into play there though, but still keeps it a tough 3.
Hole 1 may have to change tee position, like you said. we may have to move it forward about 40 ft, but that bums me out because then you don't have two different choices from the tee. I like letting people "think" the hyzer is there - even I throw it. But if the parks won't let us relocate the horseshoe pit, then we have no choice but to shorten the hole.

I think the idea of starting with a clowns mouth is a statement all in itself. It would be different if the hole was wide open, but it has the bushes and wide tree branches that cause the tightness. That isnt going away.


Chase20460 wrote:Love 3, but hope it gets a solid flat teepad and the grills get moved.
That's the plan, to cut into the side of the hillside and make it as level as possible. According to PDGA specs, we are allowed 1inch of slope for every foot of length - if the tee pad is 12 feet long, we can slope it 12 inches from front to back. We shoudl be able to conform to that regulation without any problems. We're trying to figure out a "better' place to have those grills. If ANYONE has any suggestions, please let me know what they are.

Since they probably wont get thrown in a dumpster, maybe closer to the shule? I hate to suggest this, but maybe cutting an earlier path into the woods and eventually working it into a second fairway option is a thing to look at, but it would be long term.

Chase20460 wrote:Like 8, but again, hope the groomers keep the left side open.
Not sure what you mean, but I'm hoping this hole doesn't change all that much.

Just mean the trees are expanding making the gap at the top shrink. That makes the big hyser the most viable option, whereas the big throwers are going to the parking lot on bad shots, or into the tee on 8.

Chase20460 wrote:Like 9, but not the teespot.
I agree, but there aren't many options. It will likely be the pro tee pad that we're using right now and the short pad will go at the bottom of the gulley and take out the hyzer shot. That's the "plan" anyway. Should we move it back across the road or forward? Not sure what our options are with that one.

I think making the short in the gulley is the best option. As far as the long tees go, I doubt between the roads would work, but it would be totally sick. I like the idea of going behind both roads, but have seen the way people drive on there, and cars can come up quick. Tourneys only maybe.


Chase20460 wrote:Like 10, but not through the picnic area. Hopefully that changes.
Picnic tables will constantly have to be relocated. Unless we can get the parks people to chain them up where they can't be moved. It might be an option. I haven't addressed this one with the parks folks yet.
Chase20460 wrote:Like 11,
Same things with the picnic tables.

This was the most commonly talked about troublespot at the event. I thought , and told people, that I thought if there was ever holes to go to make it 18, those would probably be it. As it is, chaining tables and starting some more shrub trees out there to define fairways would be pretty top shelf.

Chase20460 wrote:Like 12 alot. It is what it is. A Sick hole.
I love this hole as well. We'll get the tee as non-sloped as possible as well.

Sounds good!

Chase20460 wrote:Like 14, but am not in love with it. Could be alot better.
After the long walk from 13, that's really the best spot for the tee pad. I think if we get it levelled off a bit, it might "feel" better. Plus the opening going up the hil will widen and be a little friendlier to folks as well. I'm open to suggestions though... There's a real nasty Tim Miller/Prairie Park trail we could use as a fairway on the right hand side... ha ha

Sprague talked about carving a whole new fairway up the right side, which I think is pretty steep a task. I do think a flat, built teebox similar to hole 8 at Camden, would greatly improve the hole. As it is, I dont like that one of the most used routes is over 4's fairways. Trimming a more wide open first option would be great.

Chase20460 wrote:Like 19, its starting to grow on me.
I "accidentally" pushed the pin back when we installed this one, so it's a bit more challenging than I one remember. What do people think about leaving the current tee pad as the Am pad and moving the pro pad back across the bridge and on the other bank? Just an idea I had before I put it on the mini-landing strip. Would anyone EVER play the hole from there, except for tournaments? Is it just too dick-ish?

It would be tough, AWESOME for tourneys. I like this hole, a little length for a longer pad would be acceptable, and would raise the difficulty level, again.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
User avatar
Chase20460
 
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: 2630 16th St. Moline IL

Postby smalls51691 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:16 pm

you should make the tee signs like the ones at devils glen.
smalls51691
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 pm
Location: Grand View College

Postby KePP » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:17 pm

I don't know that huge trapezoidal teepads are necessary. Would it be nice and help emphasize how awesome the course is? Yes. But necessary? No. I thought the Peninsula teepads and signs were perfect. The signs were accurate and easy to read, never in the way (I hate teesigns that are "strike-able" from the teepad), and the teepad was never too short or uneven - they were perfect.

I have one strong suggestion for West Lake: arrow signs like those at Peninsula (or similar alternative). The course should be able to be played by a first-timer without a map. Navigation assistance seems to be the most overlooked design element in all of disc golf that causes searching and headaches for non-locals and can leave a bad taste of annoyance even if its the best course in the world. Peninsula wouldn't have seemed nearly as nice if we hed had to bust out our map a bunch of times.
User avatar
KePP
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Beaverdale

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:55 am

I concur Kepp.
User avatar
GDL17921
 
Posts: 8546
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 am
Location: on a rock

Next

Return to Davenport - West Lake

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron