Teepads

Postby batlord » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:21 am

K.C. wrote:The new #19 is sick! Its a possible deuce, but one of the hardest placement shots on the course for it. GORGEOUS shot, though!

I'll be honest, it's much nicer to LOOK at than it is to throw. That being said, I'd gladly take a few shots at it with K.C.'s plastic.
batlord

Postby batlord » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:30 am

As far as the changes, not that I feel I need to justify, but I know many of you guys always ask "why". So I'll just tell you up front.

#1 - This has always been an alternate tee placement since the beginning. When the parks folks said, we couldn't relocate the horseshoe pit, it was an easy compromise. If you moved the tournament tee anywhere else, it took out the high hyzer shot altogether. So I figured, I'd move the short tee forward about 50-75 feet (near the children's forest sign) and move the long tee back to where it worked in my previous layouts. Plus it's kind of a long anhyzer fade now with a slightly higher ceiling.

#9 - I moved this one back and across the road when I saw some shots at basket 8 going a tad long (especially from the big arms throwing around the trees or from overzealous upshots). It's only about 25 feet longer and makes the hyzer less extreme and more of a fade. Not a huge change.

#19 - This was the original placement for this tee, and I was worried about being a douche to players. It makes the landing zone seem considerably smaller, but it's still playable (even if you crash it into the trees as a "safe" shot). The super swampy tee area didn't help the hole either. I know a lot of people won't ever play this tee, but I think it's more fun and a better looking hole. Maybe we should make this hole a "mandatory throw with someone else's disc" tee shot. Keeps you feeling gutsy. ha ha ha. When the lake water is low, you can walk through the reeds (there's a path) straight to the fairway. Until then, you'll have to walk around on the path by numbr 18's basket.
batlord

Postby KePP » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:36 am

batlord wrote:#1 - ...it took out the high hyzer shot altogether.

#19 - ... Until then, you'll have to walk around on the path by numbr 18's basket.

I wonder how many people took your make believe hyzer route?

I think 19's long enhances the flow. It doesn't really, but when you get done with 18 it does feel like you should cross that bridge. Everytime I take my dog out there he insists that's where we should go next.
KePP

Postby Captain » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:24 am

My two cents....

When concrete tee pads are installed, it would be nice if they were level. Not parallel to the ground, but level (with a slight pitch to run water off). May require more landscaping work (#3, #14), but I think is well worth it.

As a fellow course volunteer, I hate people who want to suggest ideas all time, but don't want to help with the physical work. So, I would like to volunteer to help with the installation of the tee pads @ West Lake. Just let me know when (even if you don't want level tee pads :lol: )

WL is one the most incredible courses I have ever played, and only 45 min from home!! I would be happy to help.
Captain

Postby MDR_3000 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:48 am

KePP wrote:
batlord wrote:#1 - ...it took out the high hyzer shot altogether.

#19 - ... Until then, you'll have to walk around on the path by numbr 18's basket.

I wonder how many people took your make believe hyzer route?

:D .... and dueced it.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby strokersix » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:34 pm

19 long tee is VERY COOL.
strokersix

Postby KePP » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:15 pm

Captain, it is my opinion that your course work proves you worthy of any advice or assistance you're willing to provide. Much respect to both you and Eng.
KePP

Postby Captain » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:35 pm

KePP wrote:Captain, it is my opinion that your course work proves you worthy of any advice or assistance you're willing to provide. Much respect to both you and Eng.

Thanks dude
Captain

Postby batlord » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:49 pm

Captain, thanks for your offer to volunteer. Hopefully, it won't be necessary to exploit our volunteers services as we're having a contractor take care of all of the tee pads for us. Likely the same contractor that did Eastern Avenue's pro tees. That should save us all some time.

As far as making them level, the pads will conform to the requirements of the PDGA guidelines for installation. Basically, you are allowed one inch of rise for every foot of length. So if we have 12-14' long tees, they will raise or lower no more than 12-14". (They will also be level from left-right, obviously) That being said, almost all of the tees will be put in LEVEL where possible. The ones that may give us problems are #3, 12, 14, 24. We will be allowed to use landscape bricks to cut into the side of hills, but we can't go deeper than 10-12 inches, so we'll have to make due with the best we can. I think we should have a professional looking and regulation teeing surface in the next couple of months depending on the contractor's time frame.

I hope that helps. If we do end up needing volunteers, we'll post something here so people can either sign up, or at least be aware when it is happening.
batlord

Postby Captain » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Chad, or ah excuse me, Batlord,

Thanks for the reply -- I did not know about the PDGA standard for teeing surfaces.

I'm sure, as always, the QCDGC will produce a top-notch product.

Thanks for all you've done,

Kevin
Captain

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:49 pm

Level is a good idea.... (-:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby covey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:37 pm

Will the new tee pads be shaped like the Eastern tees or square like Middle and Prospect?

I am hoping there larger than the eastern tee pads as most people have a hard time staying on them. Including all 6' 5" of me. I only do a 3 step run up but end up tripping off the edges on occasion. Considering the beasty nature of the course it would be nice to have a teepad you could really rip on.

It a safety thing but also its a up keep issue as the park people have to put out wood chips to keep the tee from turning into a mud hole.

Just my two cents

Love West Lake
covey

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 pm

...or you could take a ballet class and learn to balance.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 am

Just go to the Dagobah system & seek out Yoda. He'll teach you the ways of balance....
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby covey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:15 pm

I had 30 years to figure out balance...

I'm more gorilla than ballet.

I can't be the only one turning the Eastern tees into mud pits.
covey

PreviousNext

Return to Davenport - West Lake