1979 World Frisbee Disc Golf Championship.

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

1979 World Frisbee Disc Golf Championship.

Postby geoffreylaw » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:24 am

I think I could take these guys......maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNucDx4 ... e=youtu.be

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Re: 1979 World Frisbee Disc Golf Championship.

Postby shak » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 am

Great video. Sadly, these guys would still probably outdrive my noodle arm. It's hard to believe that Casey Kasem narrated disc golf tournament footage.
shak

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 am

gotta love the clap track
GDL17921

Postby geoffreylaw » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm

shak wrote:Great video. Sadly, these guys would still probably outdrive my noodle arm. It's hard to believe that Casey Kasem narrated disc golf tournament footage.

I don't know how far you throw but I would put $5 on you out driving them. It looked like must of the holes were under 300 feet. So you could just throw midranges.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby shak » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:37 pm

geoffreylaw wrote:I don't know how far you throw but I would put $5 on you out driving them. It looked like must of the holes were under 300 feet. So you could just throw midranges.

I max out around 310' with the driver. Those shots of their drives flying through the air looked great. I've watched this video a few times now, I love it.
shak

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Snapper Pierson still plays and even won a tournament last year in Sr. Grandmasters.

He's still PDGA current and is rated 952. Simply awesome.
GDL17921

Postby 18UnderPar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Awesome video for sure. Yes those were the days. Like most big events back then, golf was just one of the events at the World Frisbee Championships, along with Distance, Self Caught Flight, Double Disc Court, and Freestyle. The Freestyle finals were held in the Rose Bowl in front of thousands of spectators. To qualify for the WFC, you had to earn points at events that were part of the North American Series. These events all just had two events to compete in, like Golf and Self Caught Flight or Distance and Freestyle. There was no prize money, only pride and trophies. I went to 2 NAS events in 1981, one at the Uni-Dome in Cedar Falls (Indoor Distance & Self Caught Flight)
and one in Springfield MO (Golf and Distance). They were a blast. At the Uni-Dome, Joseph Youngman from Michigan set the indoor distance record with a toss of 364 feet, with a Midnight Flyer, which is what all the golfers in the 1979 video were also throwing. At the Springfield event I met Ed Headrick for the first time which was of course awesome. The real celebrity in the video was Scott Zimmerman, who won the overall title in 79 and had also won in 1978. His 1979 victory was right before he started his senior year of high school. From 1978 until about 1984, he was as big a celebrity as Climo. My extensive disc golf library includes many issues of the magazine,Frisbee Disc World, which was in print from 1976 t0 1982. Vol 4 No 5 of FDW from Sept/Oct 1979 has a great story about WFC 79. Interesting to note in the part of the story about the Golf event,is that it says "Snapper Pierson is relatively new but his successes in golf have quickly made him a favorite in any field". BTW, Snapper's son Alex was the Boys Overall Frisbee Champion at the 1998 World Junior Frisbee Championships when Alison was the Girls Overall Frisbee Champion. She also was the Girls Champion in Distance and Self Caught Flight that year. I also have 2 awesome Frisbees from the 1979 WFC.
18UnderPar

Return to Stuff