Prodigy

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Prodigy

Postby AO » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Just saw this...

"Prodigy Disc Announcement

Prodigy Disc would like to make vendors and competitors aware that a limited number of overweight D1 and D4 discs were recently released. Although these discs may vary in weight by only a few grams, they are not in compliance with PDGA technical standards and thus cannot be used in a PDGA sanctioned event. Fortunately this oversight was discovered early and only affected a very limited number of Prototypes. Prodigy has since taken the necessary measures to insure that all disc weights will be in conformance with PDGA standards moving forward.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
Prodigy Discs"
AO

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Rookie mistake
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Innova lets overweight discs marked as compliant get through. They seem to get away with it.
Cydisc

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 pm

Cydisc wrote:Innova lets overweight discs marked as compliant get through. They seem to get away with it.
I was thinking the same thing. They just mark them at the max weight limit.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby Disc Golf Live » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:20 am

With the recent dust up over Gateway compliance sins, this didn't surprise me once I heard rumblings of prodigious weight problems.

I think they'll eventually have to handle this like bowling did (at least back before reactive resins) when ball surfaces were routinely checked at tournaments (soft = hook, too soft surface = illegal.)

Seems to me, with lax standards from multiple manufacturers the onus will eventually be on the players to be sure their bags are complaint. Everyday rec players can throw what they want, but for top tourney players, having that bag checked prior to play will be essential to creating a fair playing field.
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live

Postby Swisher Streets » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 am

Disc Golf Live wrote:but for top tourney players, having that bag checked prior to play will be essential to creating a fair playing field.
This will never happen. So they are going to weigh every disc in every players bag at worlds or usdgc? Hell no. As far as gateways issues they are more concerned with safety issues with plastic being too firm, there's no competitive advantage by throwing firm plastic.
Swisher Streets

Postby shane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 am

dont weigh every persons weigh the winners.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby tufluk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am

Competitive archery used to have a minimum weight limit for arrows, relative to the draw weight of the bow. At big tourneys, you had to check the pull weight of the bow, and scale your arrows prior to beginning your shoot.

Paintball has a maximum speed of 300 fps. You have to shoot a ball through a chronograph prior to entering the field.

In both instances, ajdustments could be made to come into compliance: bow draw weight lowered, or air pressure lowered to slow paintball to legal speed.

My 175 QJ weighs 178. What to do about that?
tufluk

Postby Nitsud » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am

Swisher Streets wrote:
Disc Golf Live wrote:but for top tourney players, having that bag checked prior to play will be essential to creating a fair playing field.
This will never happen. So they are going to weigh every disc in every players bag at worlds or usdgc? Hell no. As far as gateways issues they are more concerned with safety issues with plastic being too firm, there's no competitive advantage by throwing firm plastic.

Aren't discs weighed in at the Japan Open? Assuming they are, I can't see how it's a big problem to weigh them prior to a Major event.
I play the game, but I don't keep score. I can't win or lose.
Nitsud

Postby 10up » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am

the difference between 150 class and 175 vs. 178 is huge though.

I'm curious if the manufacturers have any kind of return policy. If I catch them mismarking discs do I get to send it back for a new one plus 15%?
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Detra319 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:03 pm

shane wrote:dont weigh every persons weigh the winners.

Or random test people as they register. Dont say its not possible, because it is. The biggest problem is what to do with an overweight disc. Not like I can shave a bit off the edge and then its legal...
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Grimm » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Detra319 wrote:
shane wrote:dont weigh every persons weigh the winners.

Or random test people as they register. Dont say its not possible, because it is. The biggest problem is what to do with an overweight disc. Not like I can shave a bit off the edge and then its legal...

And what would they hold the discs until the tourny is over. That would be the only way to stop someone from putting it back in their bag before the round or even the next day.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby Swisher Streets » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:33 pm

Weighing discs at all just sounds like a huge waste of time when the tds already have a lot on their plate. So someone's disc weighs 5 grams heavier, is that really that big of an advantage when the discs are already in the 175g range? It's not like one person is throwing a disc and everyone else is throwing paper plates.

Anyway I curious and will weigh all my discs tonight to see how I would do
Swisher Streets

Postby Detra319 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Swisher Streets wrote:Weighing discs at all just sounds like a huge waste of time when the tds already have a lot on their plate. So someone's disc weighs 5 grams heavier, is that really that big of an advantage when the discs are already in the 175g range? It's not like one person is throwing a disc and everyone else is throwing paper plates.

Anyway I curious and will weigh all my discs tonight to see how I would do

Its the constant in the equation for flight force.
The finial... Even with no clouds!
Detra319

Postby Nohr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 pm

PDGA is to be blammed. Manufacturers should not be allowed to stamp

"PDGA approved". What that stamp really means is

"PDGA approved a disc of this mold at one time but this disc we have no idea if it is legal or not"

But with that said tell everyone to chuck off and show them PDGA approved so even if this is illegal I can use it.
Nohr

Next

Return to Stuff