Top 50 courses of 2012

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Postby Grimm » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Columbus day week. What better way to rejoice in the discovery of Cuba or where ever he actually first landed.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby Clue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 am

Highbridge is incredibly overrated. That doesn't mean it's horrible. I liked the Gold course, and Blueberry Hill is probably fine, but nowhere near top 10 in the world. I agree that the collective nature of the courses factors too highly in each individual review. Camden I might be a good example. It's not the greatest course, but being in the same park as Cam II increases it's value tremendously. I'd be more likely to play it due to it's proximity to another good course vs driving out of my way to play it alone.

For Lindsley's sake I'll leave Houck courses out of the discussion (which is too bad because if he ever played one they would be the *sickest ever!!!*). I'd put at least 10 courses in Iowa alone ahead of Blueberry Hill. I'm surprised Middle doesn't get more love. It's arguably my favorite in Iowa. It's usually pretty clean and well maintained, just enough elevation to be interesting but not daunting, and a good variety of shots.

On the other hand, I'd put all the Highbridge courses ahead of Idlewild and I haven't even played half of them. That course is the single most overrated course in the world.
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby Clue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 am

You know what course is conspicuously absent is Lemon Lake Gold. It's gotta be in my top 5. They only have Silver on dgcr (which is the same course - shorter tees and maybe a couple alternate baskets?)

I've played 7 of the top 10, but only 7 of the other 40 which of course includes the 3 from Iowa. I'm curious if anyone has that beat?
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

those few greens at idlewild in the pics look sik .looks like astroturf greens
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: GVCC

Postby grodney » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:28 am

Clue wrote:I've played 7 of the top 10, but only 7 of the other 40 which of course includes the 3 from Iowa. I'm curious if anyone has that beat?


Martin, who has over 1000 played, has 42 of the top 50.
mashnut, who has about 700 played, has 28 of 50.
Chuck has 7 of top 10, 29 of top 50.

I have 0 of top 10, and 5 in the top 50. Sweet.
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 am

i have 1 :oops: blue ribbon pines
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: GVCC

Postby grodney » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 am

I don't know Martin, but the guy has played over 1000 courses, including 10 of the top 10.

DGCRRank, MartinRank, Course
1,4,Selah Lakeside
2,13,Selah Creekside
3,68,Flip City
4,41,Idlewild
5,24,Blue Ribbon Pines
6,11,Highbridge Granite
7,15,Highbridge Gold
8,50,Phantom Falls
9,22,Highbridge Blueberry
10,76,Deer Lakes


** He says his top 40 are in order, but they're pretty random for 40-110. So Flip, Idlewild, Phantom, and Deer Lakes all make his top 110, but their actual number shown above isn't specific.
Last edited by grodney on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
grodney
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 am

Postby medicinal funk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:38 am

grodney wrote:I don't know Martin, but the guy has played over 1000 courses, including 10 of the top 10.

DGCRRank, MartinRank, Course
1,4,Selah Lakeside
2,13,Selah Creekside
3,68,Flip City
4,41,Idlewild
5,24,Blue Ribbon Pines
6,11,Highbridge Granite
7,15,Highbridge Gold
8,50,Phantom Falls
9,22,Highbridge Blueberry
10,76,Deer Lakes


martin is legit. he travels around in the winter/fall/early spring in a van with his awesome dog playing as much disc golf as he can. i've met up with him twice. once for a round at legion park in marion, the next time for rounds at turkey and sugar bottom.
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
User avatar
medicinal funk
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 am
Location: cedar rapids

Postby Captain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 am

Wow. And I think I've played some courses, but I've only 4 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 50.

Guess I have some traveling to do.
User avatar
Captain
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: IC

Postby blkwizardsonny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:32 pm

ive only got 4 in top 50 :oops:
TEAM PROFLIGHT SONNY
blkwizardsonny
 
Posts: 2784
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: GVCC

Postby 1semenking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

medicinal funk wrote:
grodney wrote:I don't know Martin, but the guy has played over 1000 courses, including 10 of the top 10.

DGCRRank, MartinRank, Course
1,4,Selah Lakeside
2,13,Selah Creekside
3,68,Flip City
4,41,Idlewild
5,24,Blue Ribbon Pines
6,11,Highbridge Granite
7,15,Highbridge Gold
8,50,Phantom Falls
9,22,Highbridge Blueberry
10,76,Deer Lakes


martin is legit. he travels around in the winter/fall/early spring in a van with his awesome dog playing as much disc golf as he can. i've met up with him twice. once for a round at legion park in marion, the next time for rounds at turkey and sugar bottom.


Matt Sime is his actual name and he is a great guy!! He trys to play the North Iowa tour stops regularly with his dad Dave. Dave Sime is a great disg golf dad that helps Matt travel and even goes with him occassionally. Some of Daves photos are used for PDGA, Innova and other national publicatuions.

Check out Matt and his dog Forest for their travel schedule and thoughts at buskingtheworld.com
1semenking
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: Ames

Postby medicinal funk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm

1semenking wrote:
medicinal funk wrote:
grodney wrote:I don't know Martin, but the guy has played over 1000 courses, including 10 of the top 10.

DGCRRank, MartinRank, Course
1,4,Selah Lakeside
2,13,Selah Creekside
3,68,Flip City
4,41,Idlewild
5,24,Blue Ribbon Pines
6,11,Highbridge Granite
7,15,Highbridge Gold
8,50,Phantom Falls
9,22,Highbridge Blueberry
10,76,Deer Lakes


martin is legit. he travels around in the winter/fall/early spring in a van with his awesome dog playing as much disc golf as he can. i've met up with him twice. once for a round at legion park in marion, the next time for rounds at turkey and sugar bottom.


Matt Sime is his actual name and he is a great guy!! He trys to play the North Iowa tour stops regularly with his dad Dave. Dave Sime is a great disg golf dad that helps Matt travel and even goes with him occassionally. Some of Daves photos are used for PDGA, Innova and other national publicatuions.

Check out Matt and his dog Forest for their travel schedule and thoughts at buskingtheworld.com


yes! forest is the shit. he's got more disc golf etiquette than most people i play with. he found one of matt's discs in the woods under leaves at legion and got one of his discs out of the water too.
Titan Disc Golf

-

don't feed the frucks
User avatar
medicinal funk
 
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 am
Location: cedar rapids

Postby Clue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:05 pm

blkwizardsonny wrote:those few greens at idlewild in the pics look sik .looks like astroturf greens

Yeah, the concept and pictures are a lot cooler than how they play in actuality. They're very small and are mostly surrounded by OB. You think Madrid's a circus...
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

Postby Nohr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:22 pm

I have played 5 in the top 10 (3 were Highbride) and 15 i think in the top 50.

Most overrated course on the top 50 list is............

Winter Park. This POS course was in the top 10 last year. Junk Junk Junk. Ski hill course where there is really only one cool shot. No concrete tee pads. Holes thrown together on moutain bike trails. They literally have signs on there tee areas say watch for bikers. Combine that with some beyond stupid hole designs ~5 foot gaps the full length of the hole with strange 90 degree turns thrown in. From what I can gather I think the dude did alot of PR work on DGCR b/c compared to the other 14 courses this place is junk.

Also like to throw sandy point under the bus. For a top 50 course something like 18 of 23 holes are under 250 feet. And something like 9 are under 200 feet. Ummmm what? Is this a course or a a putting practice facility.

Best of the list.....Wildcat Bluff of course.
Nohr
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids

Postby Clue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:23 pm

grodney wrote:DGCRRank, MartinRank, Course
1,4,Selah Lakeside
2,13,Selah Creekside
3,68,Flip City
4,41,Idlewild
5,24,Blue Ribbon Pines
6,11,Highbridge Granite
7,15,Highbridge Gold
8,50,Phantom Falls
9,22,Highbridge Blueberry
10,76,Deer Lakes

I'm kind of impressed with these rankings, but very surprised by Flip City. From everything I've heard I thought it was a no-brainer top 10. He obviously agrees that Idlewild is pretty overrated and that BRP isn't a top 5 course. I might put HB Gold @15 so I give him credit for having the other 2 about right. I might put Lakeside up a spot or 2, but I think you're splitting hairs with anything in the top 5. And Creekside may grow on me because the back 9 is pretty impressive, but a lot of the front 9 is pretty blah.

So that makes me curious about the rest of his top 20. Where it at, G?
Clue
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 pm
Location: Des Moines

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest