Burr Oak Savanna Disc Golf Course, Shellsburg, IA

General topics - anything goes within reason, keep it civil.

Burr Oak Savanna Disc Golf Course, Shellsburg, IA

Postby AO » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Heard it's pay to play and 18 holes...Anyone have any info?!
Last edited by AO on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AO

Postby Grimm » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:08 pm

I'll make some calls this week. The friend that told me knows them I think.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby AO » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:30 pm

new info..

Burr Oak Savanna 6345 31st Ave Shellsburg..563.920.0319
AO

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:06 am

A friend had a business card for this place but I have never been there. I have a feeling that if they do not know to make the course known on this site the course probably wasn't designed by someone in the know and may not make it worth PTP but I am somewhat curious anyway.

Besides, I already play on a pay to play course. :lol:
Wildcat Bluff Crew Member
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 am

I just talked to the guy. Pads are poured but the course will not be open until this spring. Sounds like he is interested in hosting some leagues there as well as a few tournies.
AO

Postby AO » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 am

What's the word on Pleasant Creek?
AO

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:37 pm

AO wrote:What's the word on Pleasant Creek?

After a couple informational e-mails back and forth they wanted to know where in the park I was thinking a course would fit. I went out and scoped three areas I thought would be the best, most accessible and they came back saying those were protected areas for prairie grass growth. To be honest, I sure didn't see any prairie grass in any of those areas and felt it was an easy way to say thanks but no thanks. I was actually getting a good vibe from them up to that point. Too bad, there could be a solid course on the south side of the lake up in the hilly area with some wood borders and large downhill open bombers. I really didn't see any other areas, other than those three I mentioned, that would be worth putting a course in otherwise.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby AO » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

After a couple informational e-mails back and forth they wanted to know where in the park I was thinking a course would fit. I went out and scoped three areas I thought would be the best, most accessible and they came back saying those were protected areas for prairie grass growth. To be honest, I sure didn't see any prairie grass in any of those areas and felt it was an easy way to say thanks but no thanks. I was actually getting a good vibe from them up to that point. Too bad, there could be a solid course on the south side of the lake up in the hilly area with some wood borders and large downhill open bombers. I really didn't see any other areas, other than those three I mentioned, that would be worth putting a course in otherwise.

Did they give you an area they thought would be ideal for them?
AO

Postby Crager » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:19 am

AO wrote: Sounds like he is interested in hosting some leagues there as well as a few tournies.

I am sure he is. Have heard talk. Careful.
Hopefully not the case.
Crager

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:52 pm

AO wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

No, when I asked that they said they didn't have any areas in mind so I left it at that. What I got out of it was the DNR's goal is for preservation rather than recreation. I can send you an e-mail address if you want to try your luck.
Budhyzer 17696

Postby Grimm » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:16 pm

Budhyzer 17696 wrote:
AO wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

No, when I asked that they said they didn't have any areas in mind so I left it at that. What I got out of it was the DNR's goal is for preservation rather than recreation. I can send you an e-mail address if you want to try your luck.

Yea. Dumb, Ewing works with and it's great because of the stuff that blooms; but wild grass. There would be barely any taken out. And sorry I'm not going to walk through that unless I'm hunting.
50 lashes for drinking the groups whiskey isn't steep.
Grimm

Postby AO » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Grimm wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:
AO wrote:
Budhyzer 17696 wrote:

Yea. Dumb, Ewing works with and it's great because of the stuff that blooms; but wild grass. There would be barely any taken out. And sorry I'm not going to walk through that unless I'm hunting.

Nope. I'm just fine. Way too much on my plate as it is.
AO

Postby AO » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 pm

New course is coming to Shellsburg this spring. Pay to play..$3 a day and can buy seasonal passes as well. Burr Oak Savanna Disc Golf Course. Ron Boyer is the owner of the property. Seemed to be a cool guy. I'm going to walk the course at some point with him. The course sits on 60 acres.

Contact info

Ron Boyer
6345 31st Ave
Shellsburg, IA
AO

Postby Sizzle_ryda » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm

There's a lot of rural land out that way. It'll be nice to have a new course to throw in the mix!
Sizzle_ryda

Return to Stuff